Trails of the Scorned

Trails of the Scorned

A Story by Joshua C. A. Mitchell
"

Has Maegan really escaped the torment of her capture or, has the psychological warfare only just begun?

"

Green glows from the swinging florescent light flash throughout the room. Tired, Sore and, Dazed she tries to stand herself up against the wall. Sounds of terrible action boom from behind the solid metal door of the windowless room. The rhythm of the fight outside matches the beat of her heart pulsating hard enough to alter her vision. Fear engulfs her with each bang sending shocks through her body. She pulls at the chain that anchors her to this hell in order to place her palms on the cold surface of the unforgiving door. As she lays her hand flat on the metal the fighting stops. A ferocious white light blinds her as the door swings open. Her body falls to the ground as the concrete morphs into cushion. Maegan wakes up in a cold sweat inside her bedroom. She takes a moment to investigate her surroundings. She was home, safe and, far away from that room. It had all been another nightmare.

For years she was trapped in that concrete fortress. Given nothing to eat but, burnt bacon and cold soup. She stayed chained to the wall connected by the ankle. Going days without any human contact. Her tormentors were insufferable as demons. To this day the nations top investigators cannot place her kidnappers motive or, why they had chosen her as their victim. However most interesting aspect of her case was the involvement of the infamous “Pig Slasher” A serial killer who had twenty-three known victims who got his name for his trademark leaving of an apple inside his victims mouth in similar fashion to a roasted swine. It wasn't until one of his nineteenth victims narrowly survived until detectives discovered a truly unnerving detail involving his curious obsession with swine. The fact that he committed his crimes while wearing a costume pig nose and ears.

There had been no ascertainable physical description of him to verify his identity. However when the one kidnapper that survived Meagan's rescue was found wearing said blood costume wear. It was all the evidence needed to put away the suspected killer for the rest of his life. The other mystery surrounding Maegans abduction was that she was tied to the pig slasher before she had been taken. It was well known that the slashers first victim, a man by the name Joshua Mitchell, was one of Maegans dear friends. Another questionable part of her rescue was that no one knew who accomplished it. She was able to lead police to the location of her tormentors but, unable to recall any details on the one who defeated her kidnappers. Whoever it was who had rescued her also managed to slay four of them leaving only the Pig Slasher alive. It is suspected that he/she noticed who the slasher was and, left him alive to face the penalty for his other crimes.

That was one year ago today. Maegan was back home with her family far away from that hell hole she was trapped in. Moreover she have been physically freed to be completely estranged from it seemed an impossibility. Even though she had been nurtured and, watched over by her loved ones there was one thing they couldn't save her from; her nightmares. No matter how much meditation she did every night she was forcefully dragged back there. To her personal hell living out her most terrifying moment on repeat. Her loving husband James tried everything he could to help her to no avail. He assumed it was in part due to the fact that they didn't know why the pig slasher had targeted her. James was a very caring man and, Meagan tried to be patient with him. She knew she couldn't tell him or anyone the truth. That she did know who rescued her from that horrible place. She had kept it a secret all this time and, she couldn't hold on much longer.

Her inner-turmoil swelled inside her chest. The sense of fear she had in her nightmare returned with a vengeance. Nevertheless she persisted. She opened the drawer on her nightstand and, pulled out her notebook. Before Joshua's untimely end the two of them had matching notebooks that they ironically used to study criminal psychology together. It was their shared interest in serial killers that they bonded over. Feeling the smooth plastic in her hands sent a wave of calm through her. Maybe this could be the key to finally freeing herself from the hold of the Pig Slasher. Maegan took a deep breath and, turned to the first page.

© 2019 Joshua C. A. Mitchell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
Added on February 16, 2019
Last Updated on February 16, 2019
Tags: Serial, Killers, Mystery, Suspense, True Crime

Author

Joshua C. A. Mitchell
Joshua C. A. Mitchell

Texarkana, TX



About
I'm an aspiring author who has never attempted anything of the sort. Writing has always held a place in my heart but, my inner demons convince me that I cannot be a success. I aim to prove myself wron.. more..