Inadequency in the Inanimate

Inadequency in the Inanimate

A Story by April Vickery

She said she hated rainy days. I lied and said that I loved them. I didn't tell her the truth. I try to not agree when someone says something in a negative manner about something inanimate that can't help being who it is. It's starts conversations that go nowhere. That's why she is my friend though. She knows that I don't do that, but she still engages me just the same. I am the voice of reason in this relationship. I am in all of them. You'd never know it though. I argue with myself all the time. I got a fortune cookie once that said, "Don't count your eggs before they are hatched." I read it then had visions of the Fortune Cookie Little Piece of Paper Factory in NY, NY where accountants in suits the color of coal before and after the fire would sit around a long table with pots of coffee and ashtrays full all discussing what the significance of "Don't count your eggs before they are hatched" and the ratio of people who will open the fortune cookie and read said fortune in comparison to the people who don't read them and dividing that number by 3 to get the amount of people who actually believe that if you don't eat the fortune it won't come true in order to get the exact amount of "Don't count your eggs before they are hatched" that needed to be printed up that season. Then I told myself I was silly for thinking such things. There was probably a little old Chinese lady somewhere who was so old that she thought she had in fact come up with that saying and decided to put in on a teeny piece of paper and make it fit nicely into one her cookies that she would give her grandson after dinner. Then I realized I had been standing at the counter of the restaurant staring into space while the clerk kept saying, "Miss Miss..." trying to hand me Hot and Sour soup that was quickly becoming Lukewarm and Sorta salty instead as I ignored it. I shook off the daydream and left way too big of a tip in the jar. The bell chimed a little ditty it announced as "Ding Dong". The grime on the door told me on the way that the bell had written that in the sixties and was sad that the young kids didn't appreciate it nowadays with their synthesizers and drum machines. I didn't have the heart to tell the grime on the door that this was the second time around for the synthesizers and drum machines. The 80's already happened. You lived through it Ding Dong grimy groupie.. You're just old and don't remember. I smiled and headed into the rainy day with my fake smile of appreciation for it and it's inanimate brothers who didn't ask to be born the way they were.

© 2010 April Vickery


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on January 11, 2010
Last Updated on January 13, 2010