Pokémon: The New Age

Pokémon: The New Age

A Story by Jamie Tong
"

A Pokémon side story.

"
Prologue

Welcome to Kalos. A high class land where fashion and Pokémon intertwine in daily life, I would say more so than any other region. Pokémon Showcases here are as highly regarded as the Pokémon League. In fact my older sister left to pursue her dream of becoming the Queen just last year. She's back home now, having failed to qualify for the Poké Puff Contest. She loved it out there but there are some boundaries you just can't surpass. So she's home now and pursuing a career in Pokémon choreography.

I'm Marc by the way. Sorry for the late introduction. I'm a trainer.

Why am I a trainer? Well mainly because I have no talent for anything else. I'm not smart enough to be a Pokémon researcher, nor dedicated enough to be a Pokémon Breeder. So I train Pokémon. I don't spout things like 'I want to be a Pokémon Master' or 'I want to complete the Pokédex'. At least I didn't. I just want to live a life with my Froakie touring the world, seeing everything. Connecting to the world.

And then I watched the Pokémon League. For the first time I felt my heart pump. Seeing all the passion and action happening on screen. Watched by millions. The competitors locked in their own world. I want to be there. I can do it. So here's a log of my adventure to becoming a 'Pokémon Master' for lack of a better term. See, I told you 'I didn't'.

Recap 1

This is more of a look back at what you've missed. My team, the trials and so on. Oh and my progress to qualifying for the League. 

Firstly why a look back? Well to be honest, I did say I never really wanted to chase this. As such I stayed relatively close to home, Aquacorde Town, on my 'training'. Home had shelter, food, security and so on. If you think about it leaving too far out is rather dimwitted if you have no plan. I trained my starter regularly, challenging safe but easy opponents. He's learnt Tackle and Bubble for offensive moves and Leer for debuff and Agility for evasion. My battle record is 100% so far, no losses. 

But now I'm out here in Lumiose, waiting to challenge the Gym. Why wait? Spoilers. Let's just say I have a better idea now.

So let's start from, well the start. Like all trainers, I received Froakie aged 10. As with everyone who received their new companion we trained excessively. I travelled almost daily to local forests and grasslands to battle and train with my friends. Soon Froakie evolved and Frogadier and our friends started being wary of battling us. Like I said we hadn't lost and our ego inflated. They all eventually ventured out further, some as performers, others to do research. In fact my best friend, Jon, recently mailed me about a fashion company that wanted new exciting trainers to intern with them. His Chespin was always decked out with some style.

Anyway move to just before the start of this passage of writing and we had stopped venturing out. Frogadier had become lazy and reluctant to battle or train. The going got tough, and I got going- home. Then that spark of ambition lit under me and I moved on out. Youthful exuberance I think they call it, and soon we faced our first gym. I mean everyone knows that the first Gym is a gimme. It wasn't.

Recap 2

We entered on a nice summery day, a few wild Pokémon appeared but I hadn't remembered to bring the spare Poké Balls from my room so I figured I'd visit the shop after getting my first badge. Santalune was a small town, quiet, picturesque and very much a cross between rural and tourist-y area. The gym itself was very quiet, Tucked away in the corner of the town and the I met and practised against a few fellow trainers. My 100% record remained intact, though like I said Frogadier was very reluctant to help out. But after being annoyed by Tackles and String Shots he very slowly shot a Bubble and won.

Inside the Gym were some extravagant photographs decorating the walls. I never was into art and photography I'll admit but the shots the artists captured were lively. Some peaceful, some fierce but each canvas pulsated with energy. 

'I'll never forget that Pikachu' 

I turned and saw a blonde lady looking at the same piece of art I was looking at.

'I never miss a shot and that is one of my best, don't you think?'

I hadn't spoken to anyone yet, so I croaked back a 'Y-y-yeah', coughing and blushing. She offered me water and we sat 

'I'm Viola, the Leader. By the look of you I'm guessing you're a trainer?'

Not trusting my throat I nodded rather than risk another embarrassing attempt at speech. She looked beside me and saw Frogadier napping on the seat as well 

'Oh? You've already evolved him? It's rare I see new trainers come in with an evolution. I'm guessing you're here to try and take a Bug Badge off me?'

With that we moved onto a field. Forest-themed and very fitting. Sunlight filtered through the trees making a dappled mosaic on the ground. The ref was one of the trainers I encountered 

'This is a 2 Pokémon maximum battle. The victor is decided when all of one trainers Pokémon are unable to battle'

We nodded and I called out Frogadier against her Surskit. My heart pounded harder than in any battle before. I could feel the intensity Viola was putting into this. 

'Bubble!' 'Quick Attack!'

Frogadier used Bubble
Surskit used Quick Attack

Frogadier attempted to send out a Bubble but during that he got tagged by the Surskit's Quick Attack. Looking across I saw Viola preparing her next move and predicting another Quick Attack I called Frogadier to dodge. 

'Dodge!'... 'Follow it with Bubble!'

Surskit used Bubble

Again I miscalculated. Defending and evading wasn't working, Frogadier had become much too slow against a battle-ready Surskit. The Bubble also seemed to hit harder than the opening Quick Attack. Viola had obviously focused her Surskit on Speed and SpAtk. Any Physical hit should really hurt it then.

'Use Tackle!' 'Dodge and counter with Quick Attack!'

Frogadier used Tackle- The Attack Missed!
Surskit used Quick Attack- Critical Hit!

D****t! Frogadier shouldn't be so far behind on speed. There is no way to hit her. Seemingly Frogadier sensed my doubt and with a glare at me promptly sat down. 

'Quiver Dance then finish it with Aqua Jet' 'Dodge it!'

Surskit used Quiver Dance
Frogadier won't obey!
Surskit used Aqua Jet
Frogadier fainted

'Frogadier is unable to battle, Viola wins!'

I looked down at Frogadier then up at Viola. What happened? I have an evolved Pokémon. I had never lost. Even against other trainers. I couldn't hear that confirmation of the loss. I couldn't see Frogadier. I was blanking out, replaying those 5 turns. 

'You should go'

Snapping out I looked up to see Viola had retrieved her Surskit and carried Frogadier placing him beside me. The intensity had left her eyes and had turned into something else. Anger? Disappointment? Those words were like an execution order- dispassionate and cold. I tried to stutter something.

'You need to go'

Recap 3

I carried Frogadier to the Pokémon Center, still absorbed in my own thoughts. Nurse Joy was polite and took my Frogadier in for treatment. Was it me or is everyone treating me coldly? What did I do wrong? It's not my fault he wouldn't move! Jeez he should have won that easily. Suddenly rage etched itself over my mind. I glared over at the bay where Frogadier was being treated. It was type disadvantage. And lazyness. no way I would have lost with even a Fletchling.

 

'Sir, you should stay while we tr-'

 

Ignoring her I left the Pokémon Center and bought myself a pack of Poké Balls. 'I'll show him how a Pokémon should fight'. Charging into the outskirts of Santalune I found a wild Fletchling and hurled my Poké Ball at it. Missed and escaped. I carried on throwing at it.

 

'GODDAMIT JUST WORK!'

 

I was on my last ball. My anger was settling. My vision steadied for the first time in a while. I focused on my target, lining up my shot. Then I froze. Was it always this bruised? I could’ve sworn it was a new wild Pokémon. I looked around at the spent Poké Balls. Dents had appeared in some of them, scratches on all of them. This Fletchling looked me down defiantly. Brave. Did it just wobble? My hand resting on the Poké Ball moved to put it away. The Fletchling shot an Ember at me, but it landed only 1 meter forward, it tried to gather some momentum and fly. As it rose and moved I could see its struggle. Landing in a tree high up I heard a small rustle as it landed.

 

What is wrong with me? I never cared about being a Trainer. Turns out I’m not fit to be one. My starter rejects me. My instant response is to go hurt an innocent little Fletchling. A rustle and buzzing disturbed my self-pity session. Where’d it come from? I looked around. Nothing immediate. I heard a small chirp somewhere as well. Looking up I saw- JEEZ what is that?!!? Bringing up my Pokédex to scan it-

 

‘Beedrill- The poison bee Pokémon. It evolves from Kakuna. Beedrill is extremely territory-’

 

Chucking the Dex aside I ran to the tree. I was always a decent climber so finding my way up wasn’t much of a problem. Reaching Fletching it was still glaring at me, up close I saw how bright it’s plumage was. This and the shouting must have brought the Beedrills over. It had suffered a few Poison Stings and wasn’t going to last much longer. ‘BZZZZZZ’ The Beedrill was stabbing at Fletchling, I blocked with my bag. Fletchling responded by trying and failing to escape falling out of the tree. Diving after it I caught it in my palm, holding onto the branch and balancing down onto the next. My God was it small. I brought it into my chest as the Beedrill came back around- with friends.


Recap 4

 

We had to escape. ‘BZZZZZ’, those were not friendly buzzers incoming. With Fletchling tucked into my shirt I made my way down the tree. As I got halfway I heard more rustling. Weedles were gathering around the base as well, filling the area with String Shots.

 

‘ARGH!’

 

Jeez that hurt! A Beedrill took advantage of me looking down to hit me with a Poison Sting. I could feel the sting welling up and pulsating. Need to move. Move.

 

‘ARRRGH!’

 

They were swarming. Attacking in waves. They hit my legs too. I was weakening. I’m so weak. What was I thinking? Leaving Aquacorde. ‘Chirp’ I looked down seeing the Fletchling still struggling to escape from me and the Beedrills.

 

‘Stop being such a wuss. Learn from him. Save him’

‘Move’

 

MOVE! I rolled forward and tumbled down to the next branch, making sure the Fletchling was shielded. Come on

 

*sting* *sting*

 

My back was being hit now. Not far to jumping distance from the floor. Standing shakily I edged to the next branch down. The Beedrill were putting a little distance from me. Maybe they no longer regarded me as a threat. They were flying away now. Reaching down I heard a buzz. I swear I could hear it like a command.

 

‘Sh-bzzz-oot’

 

The first Pin Missile struck my arm. The barrage hit me everywhere else. I fell.

 

My eyes shut and bracing for impact I clung to the Fletchling tight. The least I could do was keep it safe. BANG. Hitting the floor and using the last of my effort I rolled into a ball over Fletchling and braced for the attacks. I couldn’t move. The String Shots covered the floor and Weedles were slithering all over the strings around me. It wasn’t hurting as much now. I guess numbness comes with being hit with repeated attacks. Wait. It wasn’t hurting at all? I peeked one eye open.

 

‘Viiiiiiiii!!!’

 

I Hurricane blew over me and cleared away all the string.

 

‘Vivillon Quiver Dance, Energy Ball!’

 

I know that voice…

 

Recap 5

 

I woke up on a sofa. Groggy and with a headache like you wouldn’t imagine my vision came to me. I know that door. Oh right it’s the Santalu-

 

‘Fletchling!’

 

Bolting upright and grimacing at the recoil in my brain.

 

‘Nurse Joy, did a Fletchling come in? It was small and red and…’

 

Stopping I realised I knew very little that would make it stand out.

 

‘… brave…’

 

Again I stopped. Of course not. Even if it did, why tell me? I caused its pain. I abandoned my own starter in blind rage. I hurt a wild Pokémon for the same reason.

 

‘Being a trainer means making mistakes’

 

The Pokémon Center door opened and the voice reminded me of the forest. Viola.

 

‘You’re lucky I was out taking some photos when I heard the commotion’

 

‘Uhhh’

 

‘Don’t worry, that Fletchling is recovering well. It had minor bruising and needed an Antidote but recovered fine. It was released earlier by Nurse Joy’

 

I looked over at the counter, expecting a glare from the Nurse. She caught my eye and smiled. I let out an involuntary ‘Huh?’

 

‘What?’

 

‘Well…’ I explained to Viola what had happened. The storming out. The Fletchling fiasco.

 

‘…I thought Nurse Joy didn’t like me… I got angry and thought…’ What did I think? All she knew was that I came in with a hurt Frogadier. Why would she be cold? ‘I thought you…’ Again, thought Viola what? I was a new trainer. She knew that. What did I see in her eyes then? Why did I think there was anger.

 

‘I take photos because they capture a moment that can’t ever be recreated. They teach us lessons about ourselves we don’t realise. I took a few during our battle, here.’ Handing me the photos ‘ A great photographer once said ‘The whole point of taking pictures is so that you don’t have to explain things with words. Remember, you’re a t-r-a-i-n-e-r, not a battler. I expect to see you soon.’ She smiled and stood to leave.

 

‘Your Pokémon are as much a reflection of you as a photograph’

 

Recap 6

 

Frogadier had recovered and… not as much greet me as acknowledge I had returned? I sat beside it that afternoon, silent. The breeze blew in from the window bringing in a scent of the forest. The past few days flashed through my mind. Sharp, strong images. The battle. The anger. The fear. I was reading an article about Viola. I had decided to rechallenge Viola. Research and studying. It was always my forte.

 

Beside her piece was a photo, under it another quote ‘Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still’. Viola sure loves her quotes. I have one too though ‘The opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself’.

 

I know Viola’s Surskit. I know it is focused on Speed and Special Attack. Moveset; Quiver Dance, Quick Attack, Bubble, Aqua Jet. I know her other Pokémon is Vivillon. Much stronger Special Attack and Speed. Possibly boosted HP as well since it took on so many Beedrills. It has 2 unknown attacks, Hurricane and Quiver Dance.

 

As I went through the possibilities and battle strategies I looked over Frogadier. He was confortable and I noticed he was bulkier than the picture in the Dex. We need to fix that. I need to find a way to inspire him. Make him follow orders. I need to- next to him were the 3 photos Viola left for me. I glanced over them before but as they were given by Viola and I planned to challenge her. The first was as we prepared for battle. Was I smiling? Frogadier too. Why? He hates battles doesn’t he? Next was in the midst of the battle. I remember it, the miscalculation. Then I saw it, the disappointment in Frogadier’s eyes. He trusted my instruction. I moved onto the next one. Anger. It caught me off guard. I was angry. These weren’t the look in Viola’s eyes. They were mine.

 

Looking up I saw Frogadier was up and waiting for me. He knew I wanted to train. I knew he wanted to rest.

 

I stood ready to leave, resigned he also stood. I messaged Nurse Joy, hands shaking. As I reached the treatment room door I turned and gave Frogadier a hug. He is my starter. He always will be. He does like battling. Our record stood because he knew how to fight.

 

‘I need to train’

 

Frogadier uninterestedly nodded and made to move out. I held on.

 

‘You need to rest’

 

Releasing him from the hug, he stood back confused. Why was he crying? I know he wants to train. I’m going with hi-

 

‘Wait for me. I’ll get better’

 

Wait? What do you mean? I’m your starter Pokém-

 

‘Trust me…’

 

Recap 7

 

I ran. I ran hard. Running hurts. But it numbs the pain of leaving him. I left Nurse Joy a note to care for him while I trained. I wasn’t ready for him but I will be. I will be.

 

I kept running. Back into the forest. Back to that tree. Gasping I slammed my fist against it. Pain was good. Pain is distracting. As my heart stopped pounding it suddenly tightened. I felt it. Heartbreak. I loved Frogadier. I remembered the feeling of rushing to Professor Sycamore. Choosing Froakie and it leaping onto my shoulder. I remembered the battles we had. It evolving, Frogadier- first of my generation. The wonder. The warmth of its presence when we camped out, training. When did it stop? When did we stop camping outside? Why did I stop training? Was it really because he didn’t want to train or did I not want to leave the house? I don’t remember, but I know that I need to change. It doesn’t matter where we are or how we started, it matters where we’re going. And I’m going to the top… tomorro-

 

I fallen asleep under that tree. It’s still dark. I can just about see the moonlight filtering through the canopy of the forest. Wait, the canopy wasn’t that far up. And… OW! Why is there a huge bump on my head? I fell in a hole?

 

‘Why is there a kid in there and not Pokémon?’

 

‘Why do you question everything I do?’

 

‘Because everything you do is questionable!’

 

‘HELP!’

 

‘OY!’ The voices shouted in unison ‘not so loud, do you know what time it is? If you make that much noise Beedrills are gonna come and none of us want that!’

 

Flashbacks raced through my head. He was right I didn’t want that.

 

‘I think we found your Pokédex, kid’

 

I don’t know why but they did not sound like the kind of people I wanted snooping through my Pokédex. I mean it hasn’t got a lot but it has contact information- and its mine.

 

‘Uhm, yeah. I think it’s mine. Could you throw it down here?’

 

‘One sec, just- oh?’

 

Please no, please no, please n-

 

‘No passcode kid? Tsk tsk tsk’

 

Look I just didn’t want to put one OK? I didn’t think the things that happened would happen.

 

‘Fletchling, Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill… blah blah blah… Oh? Frogadier? Kid where’s your Frogadier? Not with you?’

 

‘Uhm, could you help me out of here first?’

 

‘After you answer’

 

‘I left it at the Pokémon Centre to recover, now help m-’

 

‘Pokémon Center? The one in Santalune?’

 

‘YES! Now help m-’

 

‘With Nurse Joy?’

 

‘YE-’

 

‘Quick call Malva, tell he-’ ‘She’s already done it you dimwit’ ‘Who you calling dim-’

 

‘HEEEEEEEELP!’

 

‘SHUT IT, TWERP’ again, in unison.

 

I was panicking. I shouldn’t have left him. He just recovered. Why did I think this was a good idea? I readied for another shout-

 

‘H-’ ‘BZZZZZZZZZZZ’

 

Oh no. That’s not help. That is far from help. I could hear the yelps from the stings happening above, nothing down here at least. Maybe tonight is my luck- what was that? Something was whistling. ‘AHHHHHHHHH!’ I jumped out of my skin as something fell on my shoulder. What the hell? Oh it was only string. String? What produces- oh please no. No. Nonononononononono.


Recap 8

 

WEEDLES!!! Looking back at it, it’s not that I don’t like bug Pokémon. Especially final stages; Vivillon, Butterfree and so on are beautiful. But I’m in a hole and these were some BIG Weedles and it just didn’t feel nice not being able to see what is crawling on you and being half-blinded. I froze solid hoping that these Weedles would just crawl away from me.

 

Calming down I tried to gather what was happening overhead, incoherent screams and curses were being thrown about but nothing discernible. Hey at least someone’s having a worse time than me.

 

‘Get the net! That’s a rare Pokémon!’ ‘Where- OW!- did you put the nets?’ ‘The- GET OFF! DAMN BEED- OW!- The tree over there!’

 

‘Chiiii!’

 

I recognised that defiant chirping anywhere. Fletchling was making a nuisance of itself. Despite the stuck in the hole thing I smirked a little. Looking up slowly I saw its radiance in the midnight sky. Suddenly it dove down and then over the opening hovered and we locked eyes. I remember that feeling. It was the same one I shared with Froakie during our battles. We knew what the other was thinking. I nodded and Fletchling blasted a Razor Wind into the hole, blowing the string and the smaller Weedles away. Razor Wind? You ask? If I were calm, I would have noted how remarkable a Fletchling it must be to have learnt that move already.

 

Using the updraft I leapt up and Fletch dove under me. Bracing myself I inadvertently shouted ‘NOW!’ and got 3 Quick Attacks to the gut. Just enough to reach the lip of the hole. As I pulled myself up I felt nauseous and had to take some long deep breathes. Fletch by this point was darting about me.

 

‘We about even now?’ I questioned seeing the glint and a hint of a smile in his eyes I’d say he considered us about half way to even. Recovering slightly I felt some mesh go over me.

 

‘You idiot! The kid’s in there!’

 

By this point I realised the voices were the panicked ones from earlier, calmer and more sinister. In fact the forest was quiet except some crackling and it was bright. Houndours were facing us, Beedrills, Kakuna and Weedles burnt and struggling around. It hurt to see Pokémon of any kind in that state but the Hounds looked crazed and battle hungry. I had never seen Pokémon pushed to this state.

 

Fletch was beside me trying to throw the mesh off.

 

‘Press it’

 

Suddenly jolts of electricity shot through me, and undoubtedly Fletch, I threw my body over him and whispered to it.

 

We lay motionless as they approached.

 

‘I think we paralyzed them, they’re not moving’

 

‘NOW!’

 

Fletch shot a Razor Wind under me and managed to cut the mesh slightly. All I could manage was to tear it open slightly more and Fletch escaped.

 

He flew off into the night and I blacked out.


TBC

© 2016 Jamie Tong


Author's Note

Jamie Tong
Inspired by a combination of the new games, GO and XYZ anime.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on August 10, 2016
Last Updated on September 27, 2016
Tags: pokemon, side story, mega evolution, kalos, xyz

Author

Jamie Tong
Jamie Tong

London, Greater London, United Kingdom



About
Just trying stuff out... be harsh but fair? more..

Writing