It's A Love Story

It's A Love Story

A Story by AreWeBothCrazy
"

A story fit to the song "Love Story" by Taylor Swift.

"

It was a late Sunday night. The last Sunday of August. School was starting soon and the summer air was blowing off. I lay peacefully on my bed, head tilted back, just absorbing the summer, letting it all sink in. It had been the best one I ever had. The radio played softly in the background. A gentle guitar sounded through the speakers and I recognized the song instantly. The funny thing was, it perfectly described how my summer had been. As I listened to it, I relived every moment...
 
We were both young when I first saw you
 
The music was loud and the patio was crowded. That's all I really remembered about the party. I was a little buzzed, but I wasn't much of a drinker. I was only here because my friends were. I wasn't even sure what liquid filled the cup in my hand, but it tasted like rubbing alcohol and something fruity. It had to be vodka. But hell, what do I know? I'm not a drinker.
 
I was standing on the edge of the yard, just watching the people around me. Suddenly I felt someone bump into me roughly. My drink slopped over the edge of my cup and spilled all over the ground.
 
"Hey!" I turned around angrily.
 
"I'm so sorry!" I looked into the face of my attacker. Alex Parker.
 
"Uh, it's fine," I said and quickly turned away, holding my breath. Did that just happen? My heart beat like crazy and I stumbled sideways. I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist and catch me before I fell over.
 
"Had too much to drink?" his voice sounded in my ear.
 
"No, no I'm fine. Really great. Thanks." I shrugged out of his grasp and walked away, my head spinning. I had done so much to avoid him in the past three months for this exact reason. I did not want to fall for that jerk again.
 
I made my way toward the deck, not really paying attention to where I was going. I climbed the stairs, got a new drink, and leaned against the railing to watch the partiers below.
 
I close my eyes and the flashback start. I'm standing there on the balcony in summer air.
 
I remembered when we met a year ago and he swept me off my feet. I remembered when I grew so close to him that I gave him the one thing that I could never get back. I remembered how much I hated him when he ended it, how heart broken I was. But I also remembered how much I loved him. I even remembered the drunken texts he sent to my best friend, saying that he loved me and that he made a mistake. I remembered that he tried to fix it. And I remembered that i didn't care.
 
See the lights, see the party, the ball gowns. See you make your way through the crowd...
As I looked out over the mass of people, my eyes fell to him. I watched him maneuver his way through groups of people and then I realized where he was headed. Well, this had to happen sometime didn't it? I had to talk to him. I watched him climb the stairs and choose a spot along the railing that was rather close to me.
 
...and say hello
 
"Hey." he said.
 
"Hi."
 
"So, uh, that last greeting was not as graceful as I would have planned for."
 
"Yeah."
 
"So can we just talk for a minute?"
 
"About what?"
 
"Me. You. Us."
 
"What us?"
 
"You know."
 
"I really don't care anymore Alex. I really don't."
 
"Please."
 
"Why?"
 
"I just have some things to say. It's been three months. At least hear me out."
 
"Fine."
 
Little did I know that you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles
 
"I miss you.  A lot.  Like it's unreal."
 
"That's all you have to say?"
 
"I just...I want you to know that I still care and I always will."
 
"I care about you to, you know.  I guess I never really got over you."
 
"Yeah love is funny that way."
 
"Well where do we go from here?"
 
"Well to be honest I don't want commitment right now.  Like I realize I have a lot of growing up to do and that's why you deserve better than me.  I love you.  I really do.  But at the end of the summer.  Maybe I will have learned by then."
 
"Why would you tell me you love me and then say that to me?  Like seriously?  What is wrong with you!"
 
"Look I don't mean to hurt you.  I'm trying this new thing called being honest."  I just glared at him.  I couldn't even believe it. 
 
"Thank you for hearing me out.  Now go enjoy the party.  Go on.  Go."  He pushed me gently toward the stairs.  
 
I saw Angel and Lauren standing by the pool and I walked toward them.  What had just happened hadn't fully sunk in yet.
 
And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet"
 
When I approached them both of them turned and looked at me accusingly.
 
"Why were you talking to Alex?" Angel asked.
 
"He said he wanted to talk about 'us' so I just let him."
 
"And what did he say?"  Lauren asked, pulling out some cigarettes.  I took one, lit it, and inhaled deeply.  Calm down I told myself.  
 
"I don't know, something about how he loved me but didn't want commitment.  Whatever, I'm done with his bullshit.  I don't care."
 
"No you're not," Angel said, smirking "you love him too."
 
"Yeah, well whatever.  It's not happening."
 
"Oh honey," she said.  "Here."  She took the cigarette away from me and handed me her drink.  "Drink up.  Forget that gay loser and his problems and have fun.  It's summer.  You need to meet someone new and get over him."  She finished my cigarette and led the way into the party...
 
And I was crying on the staircase, begging you please don't go
 
An hour and countless drinks later I found myself stumbling around the house.  That's when I saw Alex.  He had his arm around some random girl.  I collapsed on the stairs, sobbing.  What was his problem?  He was not going to change.  He just wanted to be with random girls he met all summer and then have a constant thing over the year.  I hated him.
 
The two of them headed toward the stairs where I was.  When Alex saw me he told the girl he was with to "go get ready".  Jerk.
 
"What's up sweety?" he said, sitting down beside me.
 
"You're with her," I slurred.  I couldn't even think straight.
 
"Don't worry honey."  He was so drunk.  "I love you forever.  But she's waiting."  And with that he jumped up the steps.
---
When I told Angel and Lauren what happened they were both furious.  They told me to stop wasting my time.  To let him be.  The only problem was that Lauren and Angel had never been in love like I was.  They did not understand.  No one did.
 
And I said Romeo take me, somewhere we can be alone
 
The next week I could not stop thinking about it.  So I texted him.
 
Hey, can we talk?
 
Um sure.  When where
 
I'll come over at noon?
 
Sure thing. Cya then
 
So I drove over there.  Before I went in I had a cigarette.  I had to calm my nerves.  My stupid butterfly nerves.
 
He answered the door and let me in.  We went into the living room and sat down.  Right next to each other.
 
"So you wanted to talk?"
 
"Yeah.  It's just...Well we know how we feel about one another.  But I feel like you just want to hook up with tons of girls all summer."
 
"Okay, to be honest, I did.  But I've been thinking.  And seeing you now...I love you.  You know that.  But..."  As his voice cut off he put his hand on my hip.  I looked at him, confused.  Before I knew it his lips were on mine.  After a moment he pulled away and placed his forehead against mine.
 
"You know I hate when you smoke," he whispered.
 
"You know I hate when you drink," I whispered back.  He laughed and kissed me again.  "I love you."
 
I'll be waiting
 
"You know, if you don't want to start something.  I mean, I do, but you make no sense so I don't even know what you want anymore.  But I will wait for you.  Like, I don't even care about other guys.  I just want you.  So if you don't want me tell me please."
 
All there's left to do is run
 
"Well, maybe we can start something.  Bring back what we had.  Like lets just take this thing and run with it."
 
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess.  It's a love story, baby just say yes...
 
I smiled.  "Okay," I said.
 
"So I just have one question for you."
 
"Yes?"
 
"Will you be my girlfriend?"
 
"Haha.  Of course."  
 
---
 
Alex and I decided to be discrete at first.  If Angel and Lauren found out what was going on, they'd hang me.  They hated Alex and all the pain he brought me.  But I was addicted.
 
The three of us sat Angel's basement, listening to "Standing In The Kitchen" by Yo Gotti.  That was our favorite song to listen to when we were high.  I sat back on the couch, eyes red, brain fried.
 
"So whatever happened with you and Alex?" Angel asked.
 
"Nothing really." I said.  Haha.  As if.

"You know, you're a really bad liar since I'm completely stoned and can see right through you."  Angel just smirked at me.  Damn was she good.

"Alright fine."  I paused.  "We kind of have a thing.  It's nothing real and just for fun until I find someone better."  Angel look completely skeptical.

"Just don't let it turn into anything.  If he hurts you again I swear to God I'll cut his dick off."
---
So I sneak out to the garden to see you

We sat under the tree in my back yard at 2 in the morning.  Angel and Lauren had gotten trashed, but I stayed sober for this moment.  I laid in his arms.

We keep quiet 'cause we're dead if they knew

"You know, my friends would slaughter us if they knew what we really are."

"What do you mean?" he asked, pulling me closer.

"Well I told them we had a thing but it was just until I found something better."  He laughed.

"So when we tell them I'm here to stay should i bring a body guard?"  I giggled.

"For sure."

So close your eyes

"I'm getting really tired," I said "should we go inside?"

"No way, you're too comfy.  Let's just sleep here."

Escape this town for a little while

"Sweet dreams," I whispered, and drifted off to sleep
---
Alex and I had been going strong for a month.  No one knew but us.  The perfect little secret.  Yeah right.  I thought everything would be perfect.  But suddenly he developed an attitude.  He got mad for no reason and was always irritated with me.  I never knew what I did but it ate away at me and our fights would leave me feeling so broken.  One night after a huge fight, I went to a party with Angel and Lauren.  Good idea, sweety.  Good idea.

"Hey guys!  Who am I?" I said, taking a huge sip of beer.  "'I like video games and ripping out girls' hearts!'  Who am I guys?"

"MEN!" Angel screamed.  "Men suck!  Right Lauren?"  We looked over at Lauren.  She was on a guy's lap, beer in hand with her body wrapped around him.

"He will only break your heart!" I screamed at her.  "Angel, get this.  I've been dating Alex for a month and all we do is fight now.  I love him Angel really I do but we fight a lot and now I'm hurt a lot and God I hate men oh Angel I love him."  It all came out as one slur. 

"I knew it!" she said.  "You're in so much trouble.  When I'm sober..."

She seemed to sober up really fast.  Because the next day she was at my door.  "We need to talk.  Now."

"Uh ok," I said and let her in.

"Do you remember what you said last night?"

"Uhh..."

"You said you were dating Alex."

"Oh."

"Ya oh.  Why didn't you tell me?"

"You hate him.  And I...I love him.  And I just thought it'd be better if you didn't know right away."

"Well let's face it.  He's a tool.  Like I can't even begin to tell you.  But you love him.  And honey, you're my best friend.  And I can see that you love him.  I really can.  And even if I think he's a tool and a jerk, you can't help who you fall for.  So don't hold back.  And don't feel like you need to hide things from me.  I always got you back girl."  She hugged me.

"Thanks.  I guess I just didn't want you all to hate me."

"Never!"

I got tired of waiting, wondering if you were ever coming around.  My faith in you was fading...

One day Alex stopped answering my phone calls.  He just stopped talking to me for like three days.  By that point I was in ruins.  I did not understand what went wrong.  I did not understand why we fell apart.  I loved him with all my heart but something was wrong and now things were broken.  And so was I.

Until I met you on the outskirts of town

Four days since I had last spoken to Alex, I got a text message asking to meet me tonight at the pier.  What could he possibly want?  He was just going to break up with me.  Why did he have to doll it up?  Why did I have to wait?  I was just going to count the hours down in agony, drag myself over there, and then be miserable for a very long time.  I had really screwed this summer up.

As the sun set I made my way toward the pier.  It really wasn't a pier.  It was like a little old dock sticking out into the Atlantic Ocean.  I wasn't even sure how it was still standing.  It was God only knows how old and got beat up by the waves every second.  Yet, it still stood strong.  Be strong like the pier I told myself.

As I approached I saw him standing there, staring out across the water.  The setting sun silhouetted him and he never looked so beautiful.

"Hey," I said.  He turned around.

"Hi."

And I said "Romeo save me, I've been feeling so alone."

"So what did you want to see me for?"

"I just need to talk to you.  But first, please tell me how you are feeling.  Be honest."

"Well, I feel like you are playing me or something.  Like I know that we've been dating for like a month, but we have so much history and it;s like we are just starting where we left off.  And I love you so much but all you do is argue with me and hate me.  Like you took my heart and just threw it off this pier.  I love you but I don't know what I did to make you hate me.  If you are going to break up with me then do it.  Go on.  I'm waiting."

"I keep waiting for you but you never come."

"I'm not going to break up with you."

"You're not?"

"I love you.  I would never break up with you."

"Is this in my head?  I don't know what to think."

"Then what has been going on?  Why haven't you been answering my calls?  Why have we been fighting?  I don't know what to think anymore Alex."

"I have to be honest with you.  I've been having a rough time with like, moving on.  We are all going away next year.  And I know that you and Lauren and Angel are going to live together in that little beach store her mom owns and chill for a while and I know that I'm going to take over my Dad's business, but all my friends are going to college.  My mom is moving back to Rhode Island and I'm gonna be all alone.  I will only have you.  And that kind of gets to a guy.  And the pressure of the future is just getting to me.  I love you.  And I want to be with you forever.  And I've thought this through these past few days.  I should have explained it to you, or made up an excuse so you wouldn't be worried.  So I apologize for scaring you.  But I needed some time alone to think and I know what I'm going to do.  I've never been so sure about anything and I hope you feel the same way way."

"Alex, what are you talking about?"

You knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said...

Suddenly, he fell to his knee and whipped a little box out of his pocket.

"Will you marry me?"

I almost passed out from shock.  This was the last possible thing I thought was going to happen.  And honestly, I couldn't be happier.  I didn't know Alex had felt this strongly.  But suddenly everything made sense.  It all just came together and I could breathe again.

"Yes."  That's all I could say.  I held out my hand, trembling.  He slid the ring onto my finger and then pulled me into his arms.  I could have stayed in that moment forever.

"Marry me Juliet.  You'll never have to be alone.  I love you and that's all I really know."

"I love you," he said "I don't know where I want to go.  I don't know if I want to own my Dad's business forever.  I don't know if I want to live here forever.  But the one thing I do know is that I love you more than I could possibly want anyone else.  I want all of you, forever, you and me everyday."

"Did you just quote 'The Notebook'?"

"It's your favorite movie.  I've been preparing for this."

"I love you so much."

"I talked to your Dad, you'll pick out a white dress."

"You know, now I have the joys of telling Angel and Lauren."

"Don't worry, I already did that for you."

"You did?  Why?"

"They are your best friends.  I needed their permission."

"What did they say?"

"They were thrilled.  Angel has declared herself the Maid of Honor and Lauren wants to plan it."

"It's a love story, baby just say yes"

"Ok, deal."

"So are you ready for this?  Are you ready to marry me?  Because if you want to wait, to slow down and relax, I understand."

"No.  I'm beyond ready.  I love you forever."
---
We were both young when I first saw you...

© 2010 AreWeBothCrazy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow that was a magical read

thanks for sharing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
1 Review
Added on September 21, 2010
Last Updated on October 18, 2010
Tags: Love, Story, Taylor, Swift, Romance, Boy, Girl

Author

AreWeBothCrazy
AreWeBothCrazy

Minneapolis, MN



About
I live in Minneapolis, my third city (previously Milwaukee and a suburb of New York City you've never heard of) and the place where my life has changed the most. I'm a hippy - I love marijuana with m.. more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by AreWeBothCrazy