Camry

Camry

A Story by AreWeBothCrazy

It was a beat-up little car. The left mirror was cracked. The back windshield wipers didn't work. The seats were worn beyond recognition. There was a small dent in the passenger door and a few more in the back bumper. But this beat-up, scratched car meant everything to him.


Jack met the love of his life on the first day of high school. He walked into his French class and saw her sitting there in the corner of the room. That first day he didn't say a single word to her. He was too nervous to talk to such a beautiful girl. But a week later, he asked her what the homework was. The conversation continued far past that, and fate fell into place. He learned her name was Sally Slypher and that her favorite band was Dashboard Confessional and that she loved the color green and that she hated oranges. He learned everything about her and they became best friends. He fell for her that year. He fell hard.


In sophomore year he got his license and with it came his car. His beautiful little 1997 Toyota Camry. With his car came a new-found courage. He confessed his feelings to her and she confessed them back. He took her on their first date in that car. They went to a drive-in movie.


On their second date they went to a Dashboard Confessional concert. They had their first kiss that night, in the front seat of his little car.


On their one year anniversary, they went to one of their favorite spots. A small clearing that had once been a camp ground. It was reachable by a small narrow road that the little car could easily maneuver. When they got there it started to rain, so they stayed in the car. They found each other that night, inside the little car.


Seventeen days before they graduated high school, and two months after their two year anniversary, they were driving downtown. They were looking for a restaurant that a friend recommended to them. The busy city streets confused them, and they got off-course. Their search for 37th street led them through a rougher part of the city. The sun was gone, the stars were out, and there was a loud noise. He recognized the sound of a gunshot and frantically looked around. It was too dark to see, and he asked Sally if she saw who fired it off. She didn't respond. When he look at her, he saw a small hole in the window beside her that matched the one in her forehead. Sally died that night, in his little car.

© 2010 AreWeBothCrazy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

O.O Gah... deh... Eh... Speechless. This is an amazing piece of work. Nothing more to say. It's beautiful and sad.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good write

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

375 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 21, 2010
Last Updated on October 18, 2010
Tags: Camry, Boy, Girl, Love, Young, High, School

Author

AreWeBothCrazy
AreWeBothCrazy

Minneapolis, MN



About
I live in Minneapolis, my third city (previously Milwaukee and a suburb of New York City you've never heard of) and the place where my life has changed the most. I'm a hippy - I love marijuana with m.. more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by AreWeBothCrazy