The Longest Goodbye

The Longest Goodbye

A Poem by Arlene Fleisher
"

I was finally able to write this piece after living through 7 years of guilt.

"

You sat there watching me

As I rushed around the house

Tossing things into boxes

With a look on your face...

"uh oh... mom's being silly again"

A quick phone call or two

None being the right one

No "don't do it - don't go - you'll be sorry"

 

Would it have mattered?

Would I have listened by then?

 

You watched the car pull up

A man takes the boxes

Frozen tears fall from the sky

Blending with my own.

I bend down to hug and kiss you

"Be a good girl - Mommy loves you"

And the car takes me away.

 

How long did you sit

Watching out the window

For my return

Before you realized

I wasn't coming back?

What went through your mind?

 

But... I did come back after 4 months

Only for awhile.

Seeing you realize

It was me.

Bending down so you could smother me

With kisses all over my face.

Funny how, out of everyone

You were the happiest to see me.

 

Then I was gone again.

But I did come back...

And you were gone.

Never again would I see you

Except in my dreams.

 

I'm sorry.

 

 

© 2008 Arlene Fleisher


Author's Note

Arlene Fleisher
As if it wasn't hard enough writing this in Aug '07... it was almost as hard re-typing it now... amazing how the tears can flow.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have been bought to tears! If you knew me, then you would know that isn't something that happens often. Such a beautiful poem. I thought at first it was about a child, then I got to the end and discovered it was a baby still, just not a human one. Animals are the hardest to leave behind because there is no way of ever explaining why you have to leave them, and that you will not be back for a while. Such a shame you had to lose her completely. They love with such devotion, unconditional love, and they never lie or pretend to like you when they don't. XX

Posted 16 Years Ago


9 of 9 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

So sad...wow...this actually brought me to tears. The picture at the end is worth a thousand words...though your words are worth a thousand more pictures. Delicately written; the saddness is not overshadowed by the power and strength of the words. Beautiful...

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wonderfully done. My dog is like that and a German Shepard. I live apart from her and my wife for 5 days of the week. I have a new job in a different town 2 1/2 hours away. When I get home on my weekends, she goes nuts and is all over me and wants to go play ball (our favorite pasttime). Think she is more excited than my wife actually is. :) Of course, on the down side, when the weekend is up and she sees me loading my suitcase in the car, she becomes all mopey and down again. I hate leaving, but until something better comes along I (and they) will just have to endure the best we can. It is a good write and I, too, thought it was about a child as well until further into the piece. Great way to mislead a crowd and then punch 'em in the gut when they aren't looking. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

"Frozen tears fall from the sky, blending with my own" Wow, a very meaningful, picturesque line. I liked the flow and again, you paint such pictures they can be seen in the minds eye so very clearly. Just a quetion, is the dog a German Sheppard? I have one her name is Tessa, she is my "fifth child" and we love her dearly. Good write. ;)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I came to read this again.. this is one of those poems that sticks in your head.. animals and children, my weaknesses .. this is touching so expressive, makes me sad ... i lost my dog of 14 years! three years ago.. i dream of her and miss her .. she was my sissy .. loved your poem and sorry for your loss... peace!

xoxo

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Heartwrenchingly beautiful, emotional and sad.
Guilt is the hardest of all emotions to overcome and the one that is often most misplaced.
Very honest and heartfelt... beautiful words, beautiful work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Awwww... man, that sent chills down my back. It is a poem of everlasting love.. I particularly loved the line "Frozen tears fall from the sky." The poem left me feeling almost guilty.. and it made me feel like I was yearning for something, but I am not sure for what..

Excellently, masterfully written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This has so many different ways to approach the poem. There's a lot of sadness here in leaving and never seeing something/someone again that once brought so much joy and happiness. Also theres the view from the other side of the coin, the one left behind - I think this poem takes a lot of angles in of love and loss, maybe not realising how much something meant to you before leaving. There's the underlying knowledge here that life move on and that our emotions are always going to be tested often with feelings of guilt and tears - this being a very important part of the poems content.

Very enjoyable.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Yep, I know this one. Had to leave my beautiful staffy behind in Ireland when my brother played horrible games and forced me to leave. Heartbreaking. I miss her terribly. Funny how dogs treat you better than family! Big lessons all around.
Great poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

thank you for sharing such a deeply personal piece.

this really makes me wonder what the story and the reasons are. you give us a glimpse... the heart tearing parting that life often demands of us.

"Frozen tears fall from the sky
Blending with my own." - i like how this indicates the painful type of crying... the feeling of boulders squeezing out of your eyes.

great emotional write. i'm sorry that you had to face such heartbreak.


Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

"sob" I'm guessing it was the dog left behind? Or are you using th dog abandonment as a parallel/metaphor? If it was you I'm so sorry, but equally sorry for all who are abandoned.
Nicely done except for clarity?
Cheers,
Helen :-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1620 Views
69 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2008
Last Updated on June 25, 2008

Author

Arlene Fleisher
Arlene Fleisher

YAKIMA, WA



About
Born in the South Bronx in 1953. Raised in the West Bronx where I began writing poems in the early 70's. Mostly I write from life's experiences: both good and bad, and observations. I've also been k.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Silent Decade Silent Decade

A Poem by Bubo





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5