My Eternal Disease

My Eternal Disease

A Story by Carlie Carver
"

Demitra is ripped from her normal life to serve and protect in the Guard, defending Elites (Vampires), Witches, Were's (WereWolves) shapeshifters and dopplegangers from Succubi, Necromancers ect.

"

 

 

 “Don’t ever let me go.” I begged, my head rested on his shoulder. I felt his warm breath on my scalp, pictured his lips curling into that perfect smile. “Never Babe. I’ll never leave you.” I lean up to look into his eyes and-

The ringing of my alarm clock startles me out of my dream, forcing my eyes open and my drooling mouth from my pillow. “Aaand just like that he leaves me.” I mutter, shutting off my alarm clock. I stumble out of bed and walk into the bathroom, flipping on the light and squinting against the sudden brightness. I am greeted by my sleepy face, I try to brush out my long black-brown hair, watching as my dark grey eyes widen as I grow more awake and aware.  it poofs up into a bigger haystack then it already was. “God Damnit s**t fu-“

“Demitra! You’re going to be late for school if you don’t hurry up!” my mother shouts from the bottom of the stairs, and I heave a sigh. “kay!” I shout back. I throw on some eye-liner, concealer, and my sparkly grey eye shadow before slipping into my jeans, a simple black tank top, and my sneakers. I do my best to straighten my hair, but as always, it doesn’t listen. My elder sister, Katrina, fluffs her not-so-natural platinum blonde hair in the mirror. I flip my bangs out of my eyes and glance unobtrusively at today’s outfit. Short black mini-skirt, teal tank top with a bow embroidered on the front, with a simple white cardigan to cover her C-cup tits. She steals a look at me and sneers, glossing her lips. “What’s with the Goth get-up weirdo? Still crying out for attention?” I sigh and lean against the door jam. “No, silly girl, just dressing like how I feel, instead of dressing how I feel would get me laid by half the football team.” She glowers at me, recovers her demeanor, then puckers her lips in the mirror, blowing a kiss at herself. “Jealous?” she snickers. I roll my eyes, “not in the slightest.” Mom, clad in her usual business suit with high heels to heighten her small frame, comes barreling down the hallway, our younger brother and sister, twins, Eli and Emii, in tow. “Let’s go! I have a meeting at nine and I don’t want to be late!” we pile into moms sleek black escalade and I rest my head against the window, finding peace in the bass drops thundering in my ears.

We reach the high school Katrina and I go to, and immediately she is flocked to, and I am pushed out of the way. My iPod is knocked from my hand and I mutter curses at them under my breath. I snatch it from the ground and plug my headphones in again, tuning into some alternative metal to better suit my mood.

I have fifteen minutes before the bell rings for class, I spend it walking around, observing the other students. I don’t have a group I fit into; not really, it’s just me and three other girls. Violet, better known as Vivid, who is easily spotted by her shoulder length fire truck red hair. Gabriella, or Gabbi, is gorgeous with olive skin, full lips, dark eyes, and long straight black hair. Her Native American heritage really shows. And last but not least, the girl I call my best friend, Serene. Her name rarely suits her. Her eyes are bright and pure ice blue, with darker rings of blue around the outside. Her hair is that one shade of blonde my sister can never reach, although Serene puts a new color in her bangs every month. Today, as she approaches me, her bangs have been dyed a deep bright and beautiful blue. I hug her as she greats me, chatting enthusiastically about the newest line of Goth garb at Bone’s Boutique. I nod and smile, although I don’t fully dress like she does. I’m staring absently across campus when I see him, standing tall and lean, hands in the pockets of his jeans. His hair is black, jet black, and shaggy, falling over his eyes in a casual “I meant for this to happen” look. My breath halts in my throat and I feel a slow blush creep up my neck, then to my cheeks. I lower my lashes and look at him again. Pale skin, chiseled strong jaw, broad shoulders, lean body. Just staring at him and I’m practically panting. The bell rings and I tell Serene I have to get to class, and she eyes me warily before nodding and skipping, literally skipping, to her first period. I shake my head as she goes, who the hell skips to class? I walk with my head down, my eyes glued to the ground. I enter my first period English, finding my seat in the very back. I set my backpack down and stretch out in my chair, closing my eyes and leaning back.

“Hey there.”

I freeze mid-stretch and slowly arrange myself back into a normal sitting position. I lower my lashes and look demurely to my left, where the voice came from, and my heart all but stops. His eyes are blue, the lightest ice blue, and I find myself enchanted. I notice a band of grey around his pupil, flecks of a darker blue in his iris, surrounded by a circle of dark smoky blue. I am completely fixated on him. “Um, hi.” I whisper moronically, feeling my face flush. “I’m Demitra.” I whisper, mentally smacking my head on the table. He didn’t ask your name idiot! I scream at myself internally. He grins crookedly and I feel my face get even hotter. “Daniel.” He murmurs, his voice wrapping around me like velvet. Mrs. DuVellet walks briskly in, followed by a woman with short blonde hair, cut her chin, and wide green eyes. The blonde woman is dressed in a smart dress suit, a teal pencil skirt that falls to her knees, an aqua blouse, and a matching blazer. She holds a black briefcase in her left hand. I get a sudden flicker of Déjà vu and blink rapidly, pushing it down. Not right now, I can’t have an episode right now! I stifle a yawn and try to focus on the conversation Mrs. DuVellet is having with the blonde woman. Her eyes, now a piercing emerald green, dart to me and our gazes meet, she smiles and I continue to stare blankly. Daniel brushes his hand across my forearm, turning it over to see the two small circular scars over my veins on my wrist. “What are those?” he asks, looking alarmed. “Scars, I’ve had them since I was a little girl.” He pulls away and opens his mouth to speak again, but Mrs. DuVellet catches our attention. “Demitra, Daniel, Ms. Loren would like to speak to both of you.” I scoot out of my seat and Mrs. DuVellet holds up a finger. “Bring your things, you won’t be coming back.” I feel a trickle of anxiety as I pick up my bag and walk towards Ms. Loren, Daniel trails behind me, tension radiating off of him. Ms. Loren smiles sweetly at us and turns on her heel, leading Daniel and I outside to a white van. “Didn’t know we were catching a ride in the pedo van,” he whispers in my ear and I giggle. Ms. Loren opens the van door and we hop inside, sitting in the very back. She sits in the bucket seat in front of us and we both watch her impatiently, waiting for an explanation. She taps the burly man in the driver’s seat on the shoulder and speaks to him in Russian and he starts the car, pulling us away from the school. “You no longer go to Bell Valley High School, you will now attend Winter-View Academy, where you will be trained to protect and serve.” My mouth flops open and I hear Daniel grunt beside me. “Protect and serve what?” I demand, my hands clenching into fists. Ms. Loren smiles softly. “Your doppelganger at some points, then others you will serve one of the Elites.” I try to control my anger.

“Elites?” I ask.

“Yes, Elites as in vampires. They are the head of house. That mark there, on your wrist? A long time ago, you were marked by a family to protect and serve one of their offspring. Same goes for you Daniel.” I feel my eyes start to water. “So you yank us away from our family and friends for a life we’ve never known? To protect people we don’t know?” Ms. Loren sighs dramatically. “You will know and recognize them once you see them; your memory was hidden from you until the time would be right to give it back.” I glowered at her and she sighed again. She tapped the burly man again and ordered something else in Russian, and we began to pull into a fast food restaurant. “No more stops until we get to the academy, if you’re hungry, get whatever you want now.” I hop out of the car and head towards the liquor store across the street. “Where are you going Demitra?” she calls, running up beside me. “I don’t want fast food that will go cold in thirty minutes and taste bad in an hour; I want snacks and junk food.” Ms. Loren gives me a fowl look but says nothing, simply following beside me. We end up with a large total of $156 worth of snack food, and I am thoroughly pleased. I take my winnings to the car and park it in the very back, where Daniel is surrounded by burgers, chips, and Chinese food. I laugh and give him a skeptical look. “I know it looks bad, but Chinese food is always good.” I ignore Ms. Loren and munch on a bag of sour worms, opening my book bag and searching for my drawing pad. I pull it out and begin to sketch, my hand flowing over the paper. Two hours pass, and I am finished with my drawing of a young girl with bright eyes and curly hair. I set down my sketch and watch the roaming plains of wheat and field that flow with the wind that the traffic creates. My eyes get caught on the wheat, the flowing golden grain, and suddenly I can’t look away. I feel my face press to the cool glass, as if I’m melding with it. A scream builds in my throat and I barely notice the trepidation quivering throughout my body. I open my mouth to scream and everything goes black.

“Is she coming soon?” Vivian asks, bouncing lightly from toe to toe. “Yes, she should be here shortly, calm down Vivian” She nods and regains her composure, breathing deeply. She has waited so long to see her Guardian again, her Bond-Sister. Of course, the Elders say to avoid forming a bond with your guardian, because one day, they will die…unless turned, and with half breeds, that rarely happens. She looks down at her identification card, the one with her guardians name on it.

Demitra Antoinette Salem.

Vivian looks at her face, long dark hair, bangs that fall to the side, cut diagonally, silver-blue eyes and full pink lips. She is very pretty, she has grown up a lot since I last seen her, Vivian notes. It is six thirty at night, time for breakfast. Renee comes and ushers Vivian and Gabriel to the Food Hall, stacking their plates high with scrumptious French toast and eggs marzipan. Vivian eats quickly, faster than Elite should, her anxiety and nervousness itching at her. It is seven thirty when breakfast ends; the few donors that actually work here come and pick up their plates to be cleaned. Vivian sprints to the front entrance, running into Mrs. Schuvlana as she does. “Oh! Mrs. Schuvlana! I’m so sorry!” she apologizes, stepping back and bowing gently. Mrs. Schuvlana nods and peers down at Vivian over her bird like nose. “Very well, stop running in the halls.” She demands before whisking away. Vivian waits until she disappears before taking off again, running at full speed towards the front entrance. She hears voices talking and she grins, a deep bubble of excitement forming in her gut. “I’m so nervous!” she whispers, brushing off her short silver dress before opening the doors. Ms. Loren stands next to a tall, lengthy handsome half breed that must be Gabriel’s Guardian. I scan the room quickly, but there is no sign of Demitra. “Where is she?” Vivian demands, feeling panic rise in her chest. Ms. Loren approaches her, her face pale. “There was an incident, Lady Vivian.” Vivian’s fangs unsheathe and she bares her teeth at Ms. Loren, “where is my Sentient!?” She shrieks, glowering at each individual person. Ms. Loren brushes her hair behind her ears and blushes. “She is in the infirmary recovering from a traumatic incident. She had her memory brought back without warning.” Vivian gasps, her fangs receding. “Oh no…” she whispers, tears blooming in her eyes. It was well known that if a Guardian receives their memory back without warning they can go insane, even killing themselves in order to stop the memory process. Vivian thought a small prayer for her, praying that Blythe was strong enough to handle her memories returning. “Her memories will…could…destroy her. Will they over power all of her old memories? From her human life?” Ms. Loren shrugs, not meeting Vivian’s eyes. “I am not sure; it’s not an exact science. Demitra may need to be put down and you may need to choose another Guardian, but she is best suited for you. Her Ancestor is your great grandmother, so she carries part of your bloodline. You must be very careful when she wakes, let her remember you.” Vivian brushes a tendril of dark red hair behind her ear and lowers her lashes to cover her bright blue eyes. “She’s in the infirmary?” Vivian asks sweetly, fluttering her lashes at Ms. Loren. She blinks rapidly and nods, taking an involuntary step back. Vivian grins and kisses her on the cheek, rushing off towards the Infirmary wing. “Lady Vivian! Wait!” Ms. Loren shouts, but it’s too late, she’s already out the door, halfway there, too excited to meet her Bond-Sister to care about rules and regulations.

I am lying on something uncomfortable; it folds and crackles when I move. I try to open my eyes, but it’s like they aren’t listening. I feel a moan escape from my lips and I roll my head to the side. “You’re awake!” I hear a chipper, familiar voice peep beside me. I look up and stare into the brightest blue eyes I have seen in my life. Blue, but like the pristine waters that are so clean and untouched by pollution, they appear magical. Her hair falls in large curls around her face, artfully styled. Memories flood me, running hand in hand with her, fighting with…who was I fighting with? Daniel? Yes, sometimes. Who else? An older man? A teenager when I was barely thirteen. Tall, black hair, piercing sapphire blue eyes. My memories return to this girl beaming down at me from my bed. Her dark red hair frames her slender face, falling in loose waves down to her back. Her nose is straight but slightly pointed at the top, like an elven nose. I reach a hand out and touch her face, feeling her smooth porcelain skin beneath my fingertips. goose bumps raise on my arms and the hair on the back of my neck stands straight up. I feel my eyes widen, and a slow rush moves through me. Vivian Elintoinette Marie Zimtrikova, princess to the Zimtrikova throne. She is currently seventeen years old, speaks three languages, Russian, Romanian, and English. Two brothers, both serve in the Guard. One younger sister, Sukivlana, who is 13. I retrieve a memory, standing in front of Vivian as two grown women, Succubi’s, my fist are up, I am prepared to fight. This is last summer. I realized. The woman with a shaved head lunges forward and I slam my fist into her jaw hard, she reels back and holds her face. “Viv! Hold on to me!” I shout as the Succubus with longer blonde hair scratches me hard across my chest. “Ah!” I yell, kicking high and dropping my foot down on her head. I pull out my stake, and plunge it through her heart. She lets out a final shriek then fades to dust. Vivian holds out her hand in front of me as Britney wannabe grabs for me. There is a brilliant flash of light and the succubus is gone, obliterated from existence. Viv stands in front of me, panting hard. Her eyes swim and I fold her into an embrace. “They almost got me.” She murmurs, heaving a sob. “I won’t ever let them get to you Viv.”  I am jerked back to the present, staring once again into Vivian’s eyes. “I know you.” I whisper, letting my hand fall to my side. She smiles sweetly, tears blossoming in her eyes. “Sister.” I murmur, feeling my own eyes water. She grips me gently in a hug, but I feel the relief and respite in her touch. “I’m so glad you’re finally here Blythe.” She mumbles, releasing me slowly. The door swings open and a very tall dark figure walks unhurriedly into the room. “Ah, Demitra. It’s good to see you again.” I prepare for the onslaught of more memories as I look up at his face. Chiseled jaw, scruff from a few days growth, dark hair pulled into a long ponytail. “Hello Caspian.” I whisper, my heart jumping into my throat. He smiles slyly, but something flashes in his eyes, a deep longing, hunger, but he quickly rebukes it. I feel a little part of my break and he nods at Vivian before exiting the room. “Viv,” I whisper and our eyes lock. I swallow and try to stop the shaking in my fingers. “Why do I love him?”

She frowns, her brow furrowing. “Love him?” she asks, confused. Something inside me tells me that whatever we had before was forbidden, so I shake my head and keep my mouth shut. Vivian blinks then smiles, obliging with my needs. “It’s been discovered that you have royal blood, so you have to go through special training to protect me…or you could live life as a Royal.” She peers at me, waiting for my answer. I think quickly, a life spent protecting Vivian? Or an easy life spent in lavish and extravagance? I think of how I felt protecting her against the succubi, how powerful I felt against them, and I make my choice. “I want to protect and serve in the Royal Guard.” My voice quivers a bit as I say the binding words, and Vivian grins. “Okay! I’ll let Caspian know right away!” my heart jolts and I feel my eyes go wide. “You’ll…let Caspian know?” I squeak and she smiles gleefully. “Yes! He and Toreen will be your trainers!” trainers? I think to myself. Vivian kisses my cheek, taking me by surprise, and hops up from the bed. “I’ll see you later Demitra. Rest up!” Vivian disappears from the room and I take a moment to let the shock settle in. Caspian? As my trainer? I hope frantically that it would not be a daily basis kind of thing. I shut my eyes and rest the pillow over my face, sighing. This is happening too fast, I need to get out, I need to run and jump and fly. I pull the pillow off of me and sit up straight, letting the dizziness fade out. Listening carefully, I glance outside the door to see if the hall is clear. A few students linger, no teachers or adults to worry about. I step out and keep my head down, trying to be inconspicuous. “Demitra!” A voice shouts, and I look behind me. Daniel is clad in a tight black shirt that hugs his muscles, and black jeans. I arch a brow and bite down on my lip, he looks good. He grins as he jogs up next to me and throws an arm over my shoulder. “How’s it goin’? You doin’ alright?” I glance up at him and feel a smile creep onto my face, “Yeah I’m doing better, yourself?” He laughs and flexes the arm that isn’t holding me. “Zimtria is kicking my a*s in training, who knew a woman could hit so hard? But she trains excellent.” I frown. “How long have I been out?” it couldn’t have been long, not that long. A few hours? Daniel smiles crookedly. “You’ve been out for around three days Demitra.” My heart stops and I plant my feet. “Three days?” I whisper, my eyes opening wide. Daniel c***s an eyebrow and his smile falters. “Your brain was cooked, Demitra. They said you’d wake up when you were ready and your memory was healed.” I felt my lower lip start to quiver and tears blossomed in my eyes. “Why am I so emotional?” I whimpered brokenly. He enfolded me in an embrace and petted my head. “Because you’re female, Demitra.” I sniffed and punched his chest. “Very funny,” he chuckles and removes his arm. “Salem!” a voice calls, a voice that forces a melting sensation deep inside me and a heat that travels through my body. I turn and look at Caspian, clad in tight black work out gear. He glares openly at Daniel and I feel a blush spread to my face. “Caspian.” He fixes his glare on me and I feel a chill finger down my spine. “I understand you have been out of training for a while now, but you will refer to me as Dragkoven.” A student, a girl with short brown curls and wide brown eyes passes us, noticing my confusion. “His full name is Caspian Dragkoven. You refer to your trainers with their last name. It’s a respect thing.” Then she briskly walks away. I stare after her, wondering at her knowledge. “Okay…Dragkoven.” He nods, obviously feeling respected. “So…what now? Am I going to training?” I ask, pulling my knotted hair into a ponytail. He nods again and spins on his heal, walking towards two double doors that lead outside. Daniel winks and shoos me off as a tall slender woman with taut orange curls slipped into a tight bun with only a few tendrils of carrot colored hair escaping, her eyes were a piercing light blue-green. “Daniel.” She purrs in a surprisingly sensual voice. “Zimtria is it time for training again already?” he asks, smiling. “Salem!” Caspian calls, holding the door open. I feel a slight trickle of rebellion pulse through me as I jog to him. I meet his dark blue eyes without any apprehension. “I’m just going to call you Dragon because Dragkoven is a bit of a freaking mouthful.” I say, holding his gaze without fear. I see that heat in his eyes again, he enjoys my mouthing off and discarding the rules. “You still have that spark in you,” he whispers, reaching out a hand and trailing it down my cheek. My breath halts in my throat and anticipation curls in my stomach. I find my inner strength and step out of his touch, laughing it off. “I have some lotion that can make your skin as soft as mine if you need it, your skin does look kind of leathery.” I bite down on my lip and peer up at him through my long lashes, a challenge in my eyes. I watch several emotions flicker across his face, frustration, amused, arrogance, and finally his face falls blank, only a small smile lifting his full lips. “Shall we continue on then?” he says, gesturing a hand towards a large gym. I smile and take off towards it, leaping over a park bench and tumbling through the doors that lead into the gym. I stare at the dark green walls and the dummies propped up on one side, a barrel of spears and swords next to another wall, then the next wall had padding. Padding on a wall? I think to myself, just as Caspian barrels into me, pinning me to the wall. Our faces are inches apart, he’s breathing heavy, but I’m panting for a different reason. His eyes burn like fire, a blue fire, and I am consumed in them, wrapped in them, the cobalt encircles me in an intensity and fire that leaves me breathless. He pulls my arms above my head and leans in closer and my heart stops, my breathing grows faster and I feel myself crying out for some kind of closure, demanding to know what we are, what this is, what I am to him. He leans in closer, his eyes burning into mine. “If I was succubus, you would have been dead.”  He spins me over his shoulder and I land flat on my back, knocking the air out of me. My back arches as I gasp for air and he pokes something into my throat. “Had I been a necromancer, you would have been my puppet.” Caspian uses the toe of his foot to roll me onto my stomach. I gain control of my breathing and push him away. “What the hell?” I shout, anger bubbling to the surface. I feel rather than see him smirk and swipe out with my forearm, knocking him to the ground with me. He laughs, coughing as he does. “Odd that I didn’t see that coming.” He chuckles again and rolls onto his back. I watch him through my tangle of dark hair, watch his blue eyes sparkle with delight, his lips curling into that perfect half smile. He feels my gaze on him and grows subdued. “Do you remember anything about me?” He asks, and my heart stutters. “I…I remember your name, and training with you…but nothing else.” He hears the lie in my voice and I shiver under his penetrating gaze. “Do not lie to me Demitra…” Caspian leans over me and rolls me onto my back, brushing my hair away from my face. “I-I don’t remember…I don’t remember anything Caspian.” I look away and feel the tears bloom in my eyes. He sees this and shifts uncomfortably, standing and pulling him with me. The bell rings and I flinch, rubbing the heel of my palm over my eyes and picking up my bag. “I have to go.” I murmur brokenly, trying to squelch the ache in my chest. 

© 2013 Carlie Carver


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on September 19, 2013
Last Updated on September 19, 2013
Tags: Vampire, Succubi, Suspense, Supernatural

Author

Carlie Carver
Carlie Carver

citrus heights, CA



About
18, in a relationship, taurus, thats all you need to know. more..