Fall

Fall

A Story by Wind Chaser
"

To the fall of a sun and an era...

"

                For the thousandth time, he counted the steps towards the top of the world. Forty, forty-one, forty-two… Mounting the tower had become a habit since he was a child, and had somewhat morphed into an obsession. 


                He was embraced by the cool evening air at the top of the platform. Miles of dark-tiled rooftops stretched out below, slowly converging into a sea of blackness. The Emperor’s quarters, the music chambers, the meeting hall… his eyes surfed on its waves, subconsciously identified every building. They washed out to the edge of the palace, where a stone shield rose from the ground. Those walls were formidable, indestructible structures designed to stand against the rain of arrows, boulders, and any other sort of enemy fire. They were designed to protect, like the calcified shell around a weak mollusk; but how many knew they were also confinements, like the bars of a cage? These blocks of brick were solemn and looming up close; but they seemed so diminutive from afar.


                The capital sprawled beyond those walls. Estates of major lords and ministers huddled around the palace, followed by those of the inferiorly ranked. The roofs become lower and more austere further into the distance, until all were but simple mud caps. There laid the market, where merchants from surrounding cities and nations arrived to exchange their goods; where swordsmen and travelers converged in taverns and boasted of their odysseys; where lanterns, stunts, ceremonies and fireworks all unravelled during festivals... Even further on, over the city’s fortress, acres of untamed wilderness led to neighbouring towns, communities, provinces and the territories of his brothers. The market, the fortress and the forests were all too far away; they were shrouded from him by the evening mist.


                A slight fog had crept over the city, thinly veiling the streets and residences. The lingering splashes of orange and red from the sun pierced through the film and tinted the streets. The sun was setting, its light slowly eaten away by the quiet, latent darkness; standing from the terrace, he could see the transition from warm amber to a monochromatic navy. He watched as the blinding disk, or what remained of it, bid a last farewell to the world. An odd sense of tranquility settled over the terrain.


               He stood on the top of the world, alone, gazing at the horizon. A bleak breeze whispered through his hair and cloak, sending a chill down his back. He withdrew his gaze to the palace square below, to the altar which he walked up twenty-seven years ago, embellished with the golden robe and crown for the first time. It had been an unpleasant, frightening climb, but he had claimed the throne, just as hundreds before had won it, inherited it, or been placed on it. Yet how he would come to part with it, he did not wish to foresee.


It seemed as if his entire life was enslaved to the climb, even as he stood at the top. At age five, he could recite all the literary masterpieces; at age fourteen, he began overseeing national trade; and at age eighteen, he conquered the neighbouring kingdom. Then he learned that the throne was left for his brother; his plain, timid and untalented brother. What if his brother was the son of the queen? That did not matter; he would prove himself capable once more.

At age twenty, he emerged as the new emperor.

Following his enthronement was twenty-seven years of prosperity and peace; thus questions about the “rightful heir” were slowly forgotten. If he can bring welfare to the nation, then why should he be denied the throne? He held on to his crown and moved on.

But when had it become so lonely up there? Residing in the palace, he was always surrounded by excitement and chaos, yet he had become solitary. Family, friends, lovers, allies and enemies; he watched them go one by one, until he was the only left.

“Your highness, it’s getting cold.”

The last hint of warmth was swallowed by darkness. His silky hair danced with the wind as a yellowed leaf swirled mischievously before him. He was always able to detect his attendants when they approached, yet that day, he failed to do so.

“It’s autumn.” He said. It was not a question, though there was a hint of uncertainty to his tone.

“Yes, today is the first day. The commoners also call it ‘fall’.” His servant answered.

Fall, how befitting. He caught the leaf and gazed at the altar again.

 Fatigue hit suddenly; not physically, but spiritually. Perhaps he was aging, and it was time to prepare for succession. Twenty-seven years of luxury, reverence and power coupled with fear, blood and trickery was taking a toll on his soul.

“Your highness, it’s time to head in?”

He let go of the leaf and watched it twirl playfully once more before it sank down unwillingly beneath the tower. The sun had set and night has come. Tomorrow will be a new day, and the sun will rise again; but it will not be the same sun as today. An era is drawing to its end, and a new one is about to begin.

He turned and slowly headed for the stairs.

© 2014 Wind Chaser


Author's Note

Wind Chaser
First time posting my writing; please give suggestions!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful story. It reads very fluently, great choice of words. It draws a picture of the changing seasons in nature but also in a men's life. Also the feelings that go with these changes. It could be a very good and strong prologue of a book. Nicely done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wind Chaser

9 Years Ago

I'm flattered! I'm currently writing two books, so I would love to finish those before going onto an.. read more
Rudi J.P. Lejaeghere

9 Years Ago

Always my pleasure, Wind Chaser. :)
Rudi



Reviews

Wow it cud be a wonderful story if u went further , it is really a nice piece ! Keep it up. I too want to write am currently trying my hand at something

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wind Chaser

9 Years Ago

That's great! I would love to read it :)
Great story! You would be able to turn this idea into a novel if you ever wished to. I would personally read it. Thank you for sharing. Great work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wind Chaser

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your suggestion! A similar section may be incorporated into one of the novel I am curr.. read more
Beautiful story. It reads very fluently, great choice of words. It draws a picture of the changing seasons in nature but also in a men's life. Also the feelings that go with these changes. It could be a very good and strong prologue of a book. Nicely done.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wind Chaser

9 Years Ago

I'm flattered! I'm currently writing two books, so I would love to finish those before going onto an.. read more
Rudi J.P. Lejaeghere

9 Years Ago

Always my pleasure, Wind Chaser. :)
Rudi
I loved the way the character built from an observer of a kingdom to the emperor of the kingdom. The way the story built up metaphorically with the stairs but also characteristically from observer to emperor was done very skillfully. I enjoyed the last bits of the story the most. The beginning was dense as it was calling up imagery of a dense place, but the end was looser as he let the leaf go the story became easier to see. I loved it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

457 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 17, 2014
Last Updated on October 31, 2014
Tags: Transition, reign, reflection, ancient history

Author

Wind Chaser
Wind Chaser

Markham, Ontario, Canada



About
Writing is Love, Writing is Life. I love losing myself in my little mind palace and stepping into the shoes of my imaginary characters. I also have a passion for ancient civilizations, for their my.. more..

Writing