Our Ditch In Hell

Our Ditch In Hell

A Stage Play by West of Everyone
"

Written in 2009. A 30 minute One Act play that I am attempting to turn into a full length play.

"

 

Cast of Characters

            Sergeant Gabriel Durazo�"Young Man
            Gabriel Durazo�"Old Man

            Lieutenant Jonathan Bramley
            Private Anthony DeSolo
            Private Benny Mazzoni
            Private Dario Savastano
            Corporal Giusepe Antonella
            Corporal Marcos Ruvolo

 

 

Setting

 

            In a trench during WWII, in Germany, fall of 1944. 

 

 

Production Note

 

            The stage should be built like a wall of a trench from one end of the stage to the other.  There may be off shooting trenches on either side to use as exits.  Production may want wire and burlap to give effect of ground at the top of the trench.  A strobe light may be used for war scenes. 

 

Director’s Note

 

            The six-squad members are from the Bronx and should have Italian-Brooklyn accents.  Durazo is a confident and diplomatic leader.  Anthony is an over-confident guy, of around 21, who thinks the world hates him.  He is very sarcastic.  Benny is a shy under-spoken young man of 17 who looks up to Anthony.  He is scared and knew to this world of war.  Dario is an average guy who likes to get into arguments with Anthony.  Dario is 20 and looks up to Marcos.  Marcos is an older guy of 27 years.  He is a strong second to Durazo and he takes pride in his men but also chastises them when they need it.  Giusepe is a quiet man and 22 years old.  He knows a lot about war and has a very keen eye.  He has a sniper mentality. 

 

(Stage right spot goes up on Gabriel Durazo, as an old man).

 

Old Durazo.    I am 85 years old.  I have seen my share of hardships.  During my childhood our family could barely make ends-meet.  The Depression was hard on us all.  My friends and I would sell shoestrings, which our sisters would make, just to help out the family.  After the Depression things were not much better.  Not in the Bronx.  Not for Italian families.  I hopped on the first train out of there.  Joined up for the war.  The army was better, but not by much.  At least I had food.  After our training I was promoted to Junior Sergeant for being at the top of the list during training.  At the time I was happy.  For once in my life I was recognized as more then just a normal Joe.  They then shipped us off to Europe.  That is where I found, nothing I had been through and nothing I was going to go through would compare to that fall of ’44.  When my men and I were caught between two wars. 

 

                        (Blackout.  There are sounds of mortars falling and exploding.  The lights start flashing and then the noise stops and the lights come up.  It is night and there is a half moon.  Marcos, Dario, Giusepe, Anthony, and Benny are “in” the trench, having just been ducking from the falling shells.  Giusepe is keeping watch down the trench in the corner.  Everyone else is spread out along the wall of the trench.)

 

Anthony.         I think they stopped.  Hey, Dario, why don’t you go up and see if they’re still here!

 

Dario.              Ha!  Forget you Tony!

 

Marcos.           Hey Tony!  Why you always gotta be the wise-guy, huh?

 

Anthony.         Somebody’s gotta make the jokes, with this boring crowd.

 

Benny.             So…so…y-ya think they gone?

 

Anthony.         Ben-ny!  Don’t worry boy.  They ain’t gonna kill us.  Cause we’s Italian!  We grew up with bigger hoods runnin’ the streets, then these guys.

 

Dario.              We may be Italian, but they ain’t human.  They’s Nazis!

 

Marcos.           Nazis or not they’re standing between us and home.  

 

Anthony.         Yea, yea.  Speak it up Mr. family man.  You got somethin’ to go home to.  While the rest of us Joes ain’t got nothin’.  [Pause] Those guys there…are just keepin’ me in another place I don’t want to be.

 

Marcos.           So why don’t you leave?

 

Anthony.         Yea, and get shot by those b******s, (pointing to the Nazis) or arrested by them ones (pointing to the allied side).  You know what they’d do to us.  Some choice!

 

Marcos.           Then shut up about it!

 

                        (Anthony turns to Benny mocking Marcos.)

 

Dario.              Hey Marcos?

 

Marcos.           Yea?

 

Dario.              When was Sarge supposed to be back?

 

Marcos.           (Looks at his watch) Anytime…

(Durazo enters)

 

Durazo.           Hey!   Whachya bums doin’?  This ain’t no time to sit around yappin’ like a bunch of little schoolgirls.  We’ve a war to fight.  Marcos!

 

Marcos.           Sarge!

 

Durazo.           What’s happening?

 

Marcos.           It’s all quiet.  Giusepe, you see anything?

(Giusepe, a quiet young man who has been keeping watch this whole time, turns and shakes his head, and then turns back to keep watch.)

 

                        See, Sarge, all quiet.

 

Durazo.           All quiet, huh?  That just means they’re up to somethin’.  So what were ya talkin’ about?

 

Marcos.           Ah it was just Tony being stir crazy again, that’s all.

 

Durazo.           We all are a bit crazy for being here.

 

                        (Marcos forces a smile.)

 

                        Okay you guys take a rest and Giusepe and I will keep watch. 

 

                        (The guys move to center of stage and huddle together, in a semi circle.)

 

Anthony.         So, Dario, like I was sayin’ before Jerry woke up, was that logistically Superman could break Batman in half.

 

Dario.              Are you callin’ the baterang a sissy toy?

 

Anthony.         (Sarcastically) With a name like baterang why would anyone think that man is a sissy?

 

Dario.              Superman doesn’t even have a good secret identity.  All he does is put on a pair of glasses and run around acting like a jerk.

 

Anthony.         I thought you would like that kind of a super hero.

 

Dario.              I happen to like a super hero with a brain.

 

Anthony.         But Superman can melt things with his eyes, Dario.  His eyes!

 

Marcos.           Okay knock it off, you two.

 

                        (The men sit in silence and Benny is getting up the courage to ask a question.)

 

Benny.             Say, Tony, what did you do before the war?

 

Anthony.         Before the war, huh?  [Pause]  I ran my own street.  Had my own boys.  We were…(He pauses seeing Benny enthralled.  Anthony smiles and slaps Benny on the back.)  Benny my boy, we were like Robin Hood.  We’d rob from the rich and give to the poor.  Regular modern day Robin Hoods.

 

Benny.             Really?

 

Marcos.           Cut the crap Tony. 

 

Benny.             Are…are you tellin’ the truth?

 

Anthony.         Well…I didn’t run my own street so much.  But I worked for a guy who did.  And right as rain he did give to the poor just like Robin Hood. 

 

Marcos.           Face it Tony.  You were just another Mug beatin’ your livin’ out of innocent people.

 

Anthony.         Marcos, one of these days…

 

Marcos.           One of these days, what Tony?  One of these days, what!?

 

                        (Anthony moves like he is going to tackle Marcos)

 

Durazo.           Hey!  Would you guys shut up and get some sleep!

 

                        (Blackout.  Spot up on Old Man Durazo)

 

Old Durazo.    No one would really sleep.  Your mind was always going.  The fear would come during those quiet times, never knowing what was going to happen.  Whether the enemy was preparing a sneak attack, or worse, if new orders would come down from command.  At first I thought that it was the luck of the draw that caused my squad to always get the bad assignments.  But more and more I became suspicious about why…

                       

                        (Blackout.  Lights up. It is approximately 0500 in the morning.  The men are still in the same positions.)

 

Durazo.           Okay boys.  Up and at’em we’ve got company. 

(The men get up and grab their gear and form a line.  Giusepe is still keeping watch.)

 

(Lieutenant Bramley enters.)

 

                        Sir!

 

Bramley.          Sergeant Durazo, good to see you’re still alive.

 

Durazo.           Yes, sir.

 

Bramley.          (Looking over the men) New orders!  At 0700 you and your men are to perform a recon mission.  (Pulling out a map he points out the route to be taken.)   You are to patrol through sector G4. 

 

Durazo.           (Turning Bramley aside)  But sir, that whole sector is a minefield.  It’s suicide.

 

Bramley.          (Scowling)  I don’t care what it is.  We need scouts.

 

Anthony.         (Under his breath to Benny.)  What he doesn’t care about is our lives.

 

Bramley.          (Turning around)  What!?  (Walking up to Benny)  What did you say?

 

Benny.             (Cowering under Bramley)  I…I…d…d…didn’t…

 

Anthony.         He didn’t say anything, sir.  I did!

 

Bramley.          (Still to Benny)  What’s your name son?

 

Benny.             Um…B…Benny Ma…Mazzoni.  Sir.

 

Bramley.          (Writing the name on the map turns to Anthony.)  And you.  What’s your name?

 

Anthony.         Private Anthony DeSolo, Sir!

 

Bramley.          (Writing down the name)  Anyone else here want to be a smart-alec?

 

                        (Marcos and Dario shake their heads)

 

                        Good!  Now Sergeant I’d suggest that you get your men ready and move out at 0700 on the dot.  Unless you want that I should have you and your men arrested.

 

Durazo.           Yes, Sir!

 

                        (The men watch Bramley turn and leave.)

 

Anthony.         B*****d!

 

Durazo.           Tony!

 

Anthony.         But, Sarge, he wants to kill us.

 

Dario.              I have to agree with Tony on this one.

 

Durazo.           What do you think Marcos?

 

Marcos.           The boys are right, Sarge.  Time after time, whenever there are orders from command, we get the worst of ‘em.  You remember Pouccielli, right?

 

                        (Durazo nods slowly as he is thinking to himself.)

 

Benny.             Who was Pouccielli?

 

Anthony.         He was the guy you replaced.  He died when command told us to go down this one road that was supposed to be clear.  Later we found out that everyone knew the road was occupied.  Command had given us suicide orders.

 

Durazo.           So what should we do?

 

Marcos.           If we go we won’t come back.

 

Anthony.         And if we don’t…we all get arrested!

 

Durazo.           Well…If we don’t go then it’s sure fire that we’ll get arrested.  But if we go there is a chance that we will come back.  Marcos?

 

Marcos.           I say we go.

 

Anthony.         We should stay.

 

Dario.              I ‘m with Marcos.

 

Anthony.         Benny, what do you think?

 

Benny.             I…um…think we should (Anthony looks at him knowingly.) …s…s…stay.

 

Durazo.           Giusepe, how about you?

 

Giusepe.          (Nods his head toward the Nazi line.)  Go.

 

Durazo.           It’s settled.  We go.

 

                        (Blackout.  All exit.  Spot up on Old Man Durazo.)

 

Old Durazo.    We went.  At the beginning it wasn’t too bad.  Walking in silence with the occasional complaint from Tony.  When we got to the minefield we decide to take it slow going across.  We crawled on our hands and knees prodding the earth with our bayonets.  We were almost half way across when a patrol of Germans spotted us.  They started to fire at us and we ran back to the cover of the trees.  I remember running.  Running for my life.  Thinking “This is it.  I cannot protect my men.  We are going to die in this field.”  Then I was startled by an explosion to my left.  I looked to see Dario lying on the ground.  I couldn’t stop I had to make it to the trees.  When I was able to look back I seen that he was still alive.  I remember that he was screaming but I couldn’t hear him.  He was reaching up, his hand outstretched, for help.  I couldn’t go back for him and I couldn’t take my eyes off of his.  The pain in his face was unbearable.  His misery was ended when one of the Nazis finished him off.  I snapped back to my senses.  I looked around me to see that the rest of the men were still alive.  It was a silent trip back.  Even Tony was silent.

 

                        (Blackout.  Lights up.  It is now getting on into the evening, approximately 1900.  The men, except Dario, are entering from the same side, of the stage, as they exited.  They are dirty and exhausted.  Some may even have blood on them.)

 

Anthony.         I told you we shouldn’t have gone!  Now Dario is dead!  Dead!

 

Durazo.           Don’t you think I know that!  I watched him die and I have to write a lie home to his mother.  Dear Mrs. Savastano, with my deepest regrets I must inform you that your son, Dario, died today.  He died as a hero and gave up his life for his country and for his fellow soldiers…

 

Anthony.         Then tell her the truth, Sarge.

 

Durazo.           I can’t tell her that her son died for nothing.  That he was killed because of some stupid orders handed down to him.  I can’t say that he died because his only other option was jail!  I can’t say that he died because I couldn’t save him.  If I did that then I would be in jail for sure.  [Pause]  I could have saved him!  He would still be here, if only I could have had the guts to stand up to that b*****d Bramley…

 

Marcos.           Gabe, you did what was best for the whole squad.  This is war.  We are all taking risks by being here.  Its just that the risk caught up with Dario this time.  It ain’t your fault.

 

Durazo.           I need to go clear my head and report to command.  Get the men back to their posts.

 

Marcos.           Yes, Sergeant!

 

                        (Marcos turns to see Anthony pacing back and forth, Benny in the corner sobbing and Giusepe cleaning his gun.)

                       

                        Alright, Tony, I want you to watch the southeastern quarter.  Giusepe, watch the northeastern quarter.  (Giusepe nods and moves to take his position at the wall.)

 

Anthony.         What the hell, Marcos?  We should be figuring out how we are going to avenge Dario…

 

Marcos.           Hey!  I don’t want to hear you talking like that again!  Just keep Jerry from coming over that hill (Pointing to the wall). 

 

                        (Anthony turns mumbling and walks to the wall.)

 

                        (Marcos walks over to Benny.)  Benny, you alright?

 

Benny.             D…Dario.  He’s…he’s dead. 

 

Marcos.           Yes, Benny, he is. 

 

Benny.             But he was just talking about Batman and now…

 

Marcos.           Benny!  You just gotta keep movin’ on.

 

Benny.             But why?  Dario looked up to you…

 

Marcos.           Dario was like a little brother to me.  The way I was always havin’ to look out for him when he would get into it with Tony.  I guess when you’ve been around war for as long as I have you sortta get used to it.  You figure out that if you dwell on it to long you just remember the regrets spend your life thinkin’ ‘bout how it might have been different.  If you could have done something different!  I’ll always remember Dario for the good times and the laughs we all shared.

(Marcos stands and offers his hand to Benny.)

 

                        I have a special task for you Benny.

 

                        (Benny takes hand and is pulled to his feet.)

 

                        I need you to go to headquarters and find the mail truck.  It is about time the mail arrived. 

 

                        (Benny stares at Marcos then gives a small smile and runs offstage.)

 

Anthony.         Hey, Marcos.  Do you think anything’s gonna to happen? 

 

Marcos.           No, not tonight.  Jerry is probably sitting down to supper right now.

 

Anthony.         Not with them.  I mean with Bramley.  We didn’t finish the mission.

 

Marcos.           Well we’ll find out when the Sarge gets back.

 

Anthony.         What do you think we should do?

 

Marcos.           About what?

 

Anthony.         About Bramley.

 

Marcos.           We are not going to do anything about Bramley.  We can’t.

 

Anthony.         But what if he wants to have us arrested?  I am not going back to jail.  I’ll kill him before he takes me there.

 

Marcos.           Tony, I don’t want to hear it.  I want you to do your duty and forget about Bramley. 

 

Anthony.         Forget about Bramley!?  Forget what he did to Dario?

 

Marcos.           Dario didn’t die because Bramley wanted him to.  He died because he was clumsy and stepped on a mine.  Now don’t forget that.  It wasn’t Bramley’s fault and I am not going to have you drag the rest of us down with you. 

 

Anthony.         Shsh…

 

Marcos.           I know that you are only here because if you didn’t join up you would have been sent back to jail.  I know your kind, Tony.  The kind that can’t submit to authority and thinks that everyone in authority hates you.

 

Anthony.         Marcos, remember when I said “one of these days”?  Well that day is now!

 

                        (Anthony jumps towards Marcos and they begin to wrestle.)

 

                        I am gonna pound you good.

 

                        (They continue to wrestle.  Marcos after a while pins Anthony and smacks him in the face.)

 

Marcos.           Boy, I was kickin’ butt while you were playing dolls with your sister!  Don’t ya dare think you can beat me.

 

                        (Durazo enters)

 

Durazo.           What the hell is going on here?

 

                        (Marcos stands up and Anthony rolls to his side.)

 

Marcos.           Sarge!  I just had to teach someone a lesson.

 

Durazo.           I hope he learned it well.  How’s it looking Giusepe?

 

                        (Giusepe turns and nods.)

 

                        Bramley wasn’t there.  I think that’s best for now.  Where’s Benny?

 

Marcos.           I sent him on an errand to keep him occupied.  He should be back soon.

 

                        (Blackout.  Spot up on Old Man Durazo.)

 

Old Durazo.    To tell the truth I never did look for Bramley.  I walked around trying to figure out what happened.  I needed some fresh air and a drink to clear my head.  I remember just sitting there, with a cigarette and my flask in hand, thinking, “Dario was such a good guy why couldn’t it have been somebody else?  We had so many good times and now he was gone.  Taken from his country, his family and his friends.”   I went back before the guys would start to think that Bramley locked me up for dereliction of duty.  When I got back I found out that Marcos had sent Benny to get any mail that we might have gotten.  I think that Benny needed that.  Something to keep his mind occupied and off of what had happened.  The mail was one of the few things that we had as far as distractions go.  Sometimes one of the guys would get a letter from his mother and we would all heckle him.  Or Marcos would get a package from his wife.  Usually it contained a pair of socks she would knit, some chewin’ tobacco, some kind of candy and a letter.  Marcos sure had a sweet tooth.  Of course he would always share with the guys.  He had a good wife.  I don’t think that she ever sent anything other then a package…

 

                        (Blackout.  Lights up.  Marcos and Durazo are sitting on crates center stage.  Anthony is slumped against the wall of the trench and Giusepe is still keeping watch over the hill.)

 

Marcos.           …So she says to me “Marcos, when will you grow up?”

 

                        (Marcos laughs uproariously and Durazo chuckles.)

I tell you, she is the best wife a guy could ask for.  Beautiful and she puts up with a mug like me.  I know that this war has been tough on her and on the kids, but some how she is getting’ through it.

 

Durazo.           How many kids you got? 

 

Marcos.           Two.  (Reaches into left hand jacket pocket and pulls out a picture.)  Here they are.  This is Donny.  He is the oldest.  Such a good boy…  He’ll turn 6 this month.  And this beautiful little girl is Antonia.  She is three.  When she grows up she’ll catch all the boys’ eyes.  I’ll have to beat them off with a stick!  (Chuckles)  And of course this is mi bella, Maria. 

 

Durazo.           She sure is beautiful.

 

Marcos.           Ah…don’t worry Sarge; I am sure that once we beat Jerry, you’ll find a nice girl who’ll want to shack up with ya.  (Grins)

 

Durazo.           Yea, yea, thanks for the vote of confidence.

 

                        (Turns to Giusepe)

 

                        Everything okay Giusepe?

 

                        (Guisepe turns and nods)

 

Marcos.           (So Durazo can only hear him)  Giusepe kind of creeps me out.  Hardly ever says a word.  He just sits there watchin’…

 

Durazo.           Yea, but we haven’t had a bit of trouble from Jerry.  Giusepe sure is good with that sniper rifle.  His pa’ taught him.  He’d take him out to his uncle’s farm and they’d shoot gophers or somethin’ like that.  I am glad he is on our side…

 

                        (Benny comes running in.  He is carrying a satchel.)

 

                        Benny.  Good to see you made it back.

 

Benny.             Sorry, Sarge.  I had a bit of trouble findin’ the post.  ‘Through rain, sleet or snow’ Benny’ll deliver the mail.

 

Durazo.           Well, Santa Claus, start deliverin’.

 

Benny.             You’ve got it, Sarge.  This one is for Giusepe.  (Hands Giusepe a letter)  And this is yours, Sarge.  (Hands Durazo a small package.)  It’s from your ma’.

 

Durazo.           You been readin’ my mail, Benny?

 

Benny.             (Grinning) Nope.  I could smell the goodness of home on it!

 

Durazo.           So you been smellin’ my mail.

 

Benny.             (He smiles broadly)  This one is for you, Marcos.  (Hands him a small letter.)

 

Marcos.           What no package?

 

Benny.             No.  That looks like all she sent.

 

Marcos.           Hmm… I wonder what’s wrong?

 

Durazo.           Ah…Don’t think too much about it.  She probably just didn’t have the money.  These are still hard times you know.

 

Marcos.           Yea.  I always wondered how she always sent all that stuff.

 

Anthony.         Hey, Benny, anythin’ for me?

 

Benny.             Not as far as mail goes, but don’t worry I didn’t get anythin’ either.  I did how ever get us some licorice.  Cost me a pretty penny, but I thought we’d share.

 

                        (Benny walks over to Anthony and hands him a bit of licorice.)

 

Anthony.         You know, kid, your alright!

 

Benny.             Thanks, Tony.

 

                        (Benny sits down beside Anthony.  Marcos is intently reading his letter.)

 

Durazo.           Ha ha…  Listen to this.  Mi nonna sent me a letter as well.  It says the usual ‘cept this one line.  “Gabriel, I wantchya to make sure that nothin’ happens to you or your friends, like this Jerry that I have been hearin’ about.”  Ha ha ha…  Nonna you crack me up!

 

                        (Benny smiles and Anthony chuckles.)

 

                        Hey, Marcos, isn’t that funny? 

 

(Durazo turns to Marcos.)

 

Marcos?

 

Marcos.           (Quietly)  She’s leavin’.  Mi bella.  No.  (Shaking his head in disbelief) No.  No!

 

Durazo.           What happened?

 

Marcos.           She can’t leave me!  What will happen to Donny and Antonia?  They’re all I live for.  All I fight for.  I’ve nothin’ left.

 

Anthony.         Hey, Marcos, you don’t need her, you’ve got us.  ‘Sides she can’t be worth to much if she’s leavin’ ya…

 

Marcos.           Don’t you dare say that!  I don’t need to hear nonsense out of your punk mouth!

 

Anthony.         Geez.  I was just sayin’ she must be some kind of skirt to leave a guy like you…

 

Durazo.           Shut up, Tony!

 

                        (Marcos stands and staring at Durazo with a wild look in his eye.)

 

Marcos.           I’ve got nothin’.

 

Durazo.           It’ll be ok, Marcos.

 

Marcos.           Nothin’

 

Durazo.           Marcos?

 

Marcos.           Nothin’ to live for.

 

Durazo.           Okay, Marcos, I think you just need to sit down and we’ll work it out.  The last thing we need is for you to go losin’ your head when we need you.

 

Marcos.           They don’t need me.

 

                        (Marcos then turns and runs toward the wall of the trench.  He clambers up to the top and stands with his arms spread open.)

 

Durazo.           Stop him!

 

                        (They fail to stop him before he clambers up to the top.  Marcos stands with his arms spread open.)

 

Marcos.           You want me!?  Then take me!  Take meee!!…

 

                        (Gun shots are heard and Marcos falls, dead.  The guys pull him back into the trench.)

 

Durazo.           Marcos!  No!  No.

 

                        (Blackout.  Spot up on Old Durazo.)

 

Old Durazo.    I can’t say I blame Marcos.  It just goes to show you what war does to a man.  He could be steady as a rock one minute and the next he snaps and…  I needed Marcos.  We all did.  He was the one who kept everything together.  I didn’t know what to do without him.  I should have stopped him.  Marcos…  I had to make Giusepe step up to fill his shoes, beings Giusepe was my other Corporal.  I wasn’t sure how he would take to it.  But things seemed to go just as smoothly.  Though I think it was because Tony was just scared of Giusepe and his quietness.  It seemed to unnerve Tony.  Benny went from a smiling kid to a ghost of a person.  White as a sheet he sat against the wall trying to figure it out.  I kept watch while Tony and Giusepe took Marcos to the med transport.  Why did he have to die?…

 

                        (Blackout.  Lights up.  Benny is sitting against the wall staring ahead without seeing.  Durazo is keeping watch over the wall.)(Silence is kept for a while.)

 

Durazo.           (Awkwardly) Benny?…  Benny, you alright?

 

Benny.             (Grunts)

 

                        (Durazo steps down and kneels beside Benny)

                       

Durazo.           I said…are you alright?

 

Benny.             (Quietly)  No.  No, Sarge, I’m not.

 

                        (From offstage Anthony is complaining about what women can do to a guy.)

 

Durazo.           Okay, Benny, just take a few and get your mind back on track.  Alright.

 

Benny.             Whatever you say, Sarge.

 

                        (Anthony and Guisepe enter.  Anthony sees Benny and walks over to him.  Guisepe starts to walk over to Durazo.)

 

Durazo.           Giusepe would you mind keepin’ watch for a while?

 

                        (Giusepe nods and walks to the wall and starts to keep watch.)

 

Anthony.         Sarge!  We’ve got to do somethin’.  Look at this!  Pouccielli, then Dario, and now Marcos!  And look at Benny.  He’s blubberin’ like an idiot!  It’s that Bramley.  I’m tellin’ you.  If we don’t do somethin’ now then we’ll all end up dead!

 

Durazo.           Tony!  Would you listen to yourself?  Marcos didn’t die because of Bramley.  His wife left him and he made a bad choice.  That’s all.

 

Anthony.         Is it?  How do we know that Bramley didn’t write that letter?  He wants us dead! 

 

Durazo.           Tony, that’s enough!

 

Anthony.         But, Sarge…

 

Durazo.           I’ve had it up to here with your crap, Tony.  You are always runnin’ your mouth.  Why can’t you be more like Marcos?  He didn’t run his mouth all the time.  He let his actions speak for him!  Why don’t you just shut up and do.  Just shut up and do, Tony!

 

Anthony.         Yes, Sergeant!

 

                        (Anthony sits down and starts cleaning his weapon.)

 

Durazo.           Benny!  Do you think you are up for doin’ somethin’ for me?

 

Benny.             (Staring blankly at Durazo)  I…I guess so.

 

Durazo.           Atta Boy!  I knew you wouldn’t let me down.  Okay, this is what I need you to do.  Go down to the supply trucks and give them this (Durazo pulls out a paper pad and writes on it.  He tears the page off and gives it to Benny.)

 

Benny.             (Looking at the paper.)(Pointing to some boxes on stage)  But we already have enough ammo, Sarge.

 

Durazo.           I know.  But just do it okay.  And if they ask, tell them that our supply took a hit from a mortar, and we just need enough to tide us over.

 

Benny.             And socks?

 

Durazo.           Can’t be getting’ Trench Foot can we.  Now go.  And for heaven’s sake don’t drop the socks in the mud, like you did last time!

 

Benny.             Okay.

 

                        (Benny exits)

 

Anthony.         (Sarcastically) Socks and ammo?  Nice one, Sarge.

 

Durazo.           Yea, well it will keep him occupied and his mind off of things. 

 

Anthony.         It doesn’t really help you know.  When you would make me do those stupid errands it didn’t take my mind off of anythin’.  I just kept thinkin’ about it anyway.

 

Durazo.           Yea, well your special, Tony.

 

Anthony.         Special, nothin’. 

 

                        (Silence while Anthony finishes cleaning his gun.)

 

                        You know you could have stopped him.

 

Durazo.           What?

 

Anthony.         Marcos.  You let him go.

 

Durazo.           I did nothin’ of the sort.  I couldn’t stop him in time.

 

Anthony.         Just like you couldn’t help Dario?  Or the way you let Pouccielli suffer?

 

Durazo.           Tony, your walkin’ a fine line!  You’d better step off!

 

Anthony.         Or what?  You’ll let me die next?

 

Durazo.           I haven’t and will not let anyone die!

 

Anthony.         Just keep tellin’ yourself that and maybe it will come true.

 

Durazo.           Private Anthony DeSolo!  You will shut up or I will shut you up!  Marcos Ruvolo was a good man.

 

Anthony.         As much as I hated him bossin’ me around I didn’t want to see him die.  Not like that.  Sarge, I am tellin’ ya we’ve gotta do somethin’!

 

Durazo.           There is nothin’ we can do.  ‘Cept send his ma a letter.

 

Anthony.         Who next?  Benny?  Will you be sendin’ his ma a letter?  How many more of us have to die before you get it through your head that Bramley’s out to get us?  How many, Sarge?

 

Durazo.           He ain’t out to kill us, Tony!  It’s true that ever since Bramley came in we started getting all of the crap assignments but that doesn’t mean he wants us dead.  Why would he?

 

Anthony.         Because he is a self-righteous, discriminatin’ b*****d!  What are we?  Where did we come from?…Italy!  We are Italian-Americans.  And who was in the war against us?  Italy!  That’s why he’s doin’ this.  He wants to rid the world of a few more Italians!

 

Durazo.           There just ain’t no proof, Tony.

 

Anthony.         Sending us on two suicide missions and the letter to Marcos is enough proof for me.

 

Durazo.           He didn’t send the letter!

 

Anthony.         Oh?  (Anthony pulls out the letter from his pocket)  I just happen to have it here.

 

Durazo.           You stole Marcos’ letter?

 

Anthony.         What?  He didn’t need it anymore.

 

Durazo.           Tony your sick.

 

Anthony.         (Shrugs)  Tell me what you think about this.  (Opens the letter and shows it to Durazo.)

 

Durazo.           So it’s her signature. 

 

Anthony.         But it’s not.  (Pulls out Marcos’ picture of his family.)  See!

 

Durazo.           Geez, Tony!  Didn’t anyone ever tell you not to desecrate the dead? 

 

Anthony.         But look, Sarge.  She also signed the back of the picture.  Look at both signatures beside each other.  (Durazo holds the letter and picture together and stares at it with scrutiny.)  See!

 

Durazo.           (Staring at the articles in awe.)  I…I can’t believe it… They are different!

 

Anthony.         See.  He killed him!  He knew Marcos wouldn’t snap ‘cept with this.  He knew that Marcos was the strongest one of us.  And he forged his wife’s letter and killed him!  And Marcos was so blinded by what the letter said that he probably didn’t realize that it wasn’t her signature. 

 

Durazo.           This doesn’t mean that Bramley did it.  I agree something weird is going on here but it doesn’t mean its Bramley.

 

Anthony.         Sarge!  Who else would it be!?

 

Durazo.           Tony, I don’t know what’s goin’ on here but we can’t make any assumptions that it was Bramley.  If we go accusin’ him he’ll just throw us in jail.  What good would that do? 

 

Anthony.         We don’t have to accuse him.  We just kill him and all our problems are over.

 

Durazo.           Tony!  No one is going to kill anyone got it!  The MPs would be swarmin’ all over this place.

 

Anthony.         This is war, Sarge!  We just tell’em that he stuck is head a little to far above the trench…problem solved.

 

Durazo.           No, Tony!

 

                        (Benny enters laden with a couple of ammo boxes and a satchel full of socks.)

 

Benny.             I got what ya wanted.

 

Durazo.           Just set it over by the wall.

 

Anthony.         I’m tellin’ ya, Sarge…

 

Durazo.           No!  Now get some rest.  Giusepe, you too.  Benny and I will keep watch.

 

                        (Giusepe steps down and walks to a box and sits.  Benny takes his place at the wall.)

 

Anthony.         Sarge, you been tellin’ me to be more like Marcos and start doin’ but ya won’t let me do.

 

Durazo.           You can do.  Just not that!  Now get some rest it’s been a long day.

 

                        (Anthony stomps off and sits, leaning his back against the wall.  Durazo goes to the wall and keeps watch.  Blackout.  Spot up on Old Man Durazo.)

 

Old Durazo.    It was a quiet watch for those few hours of rest.  Tony seemed to be sitting there sulking…or scheming.  Either way he was quiet.  Giusepe took full advantage of his rest time.  Benny just stood there staring out into the silence.  I guessed that Tony was right.  My feeble attempts to take his mind off of what happened didn’t work.  Poor kid.  Only 17 and having to see two of his friends die right in front of him.  And I tell him to move on, to forget about it.  How ignorant could I be?  I really hoped the war would end soon.  I didn’t want to see anyone else die.  I didn’t think that I could tell myself to move on and forget about it anymore…  And Tony with his theory of Bramley’s forging that letter.  It just wouldn’t leave my head.  He was right about both signatures being different but there was no way of knowing who wrote it.  Yet somehow…somewhere in the back of my mind…I knew it was Bramley.  Before Lieutenant Sharpe was killed we seemed to be doing okay.  And then when Bramley came in there was a change in the types of orders we got.  But I chalked it up to him being a different man then Sharpe.  That night I kept thinking “maybe I was wrong.  Maybe Tony was right after all.” 

 

                        (Blackout.  Lights up.  It is morning.  Giusepe and Anthony are at the wall keeping watch.  Benny and Durazo are sitting on a couple of crates talking about home.)

 

Benny.             …yea, ma was always harpin’ on me to get a job so’s I could help support the family.  So I went down to the recruitin' office and signed up.  I had to lie about my age but they didn’t check so here I am.

 

Durazo.           And are you glad to be here?

 

Benny.             Not really.  But now that I am, I need to make my ma and pa proud of me.  I guess I need to prove that I am a man and can do things on my own.

 

Durazo.           Well…so far you look like you know what your doin’.

 

Benny.             Really?

 

Durazo.           Yep.  Even when you like scared and ya wanna run you stay your ground and keep up with the rest of us.

 

Benny.             Thanks, Sarge.

 

Durazo.           Not a problem.  Just remember to keep your head down and to shoot your enemy before they shoot you.

 

Benny.             (Grinning)  Will do, Sarge!

 

Anthony.         Looks pretty clear up here, Sarge.  I don’t think Jerry wants to play today.

 

Durazo.           Don’t sound too disappointed, Tony.

 

Anthony.         I just need somethin’ to take my mind off of things.  Just gimme a stupid one, who wants to take a nice morning stroll.  Giusepe you better not shoot him before I get a chance!

 

Durazo.           You’re crazy, Tony.

 

Anthony.         Just antsy, Sarge.

 

Durazo.           Well don’t get to eager.  Before this war is over I think you’ll get a lot more chances to take out your frustration.

 

Anthony.         Yea if someone doesn’t kill all of us first.

 

                        (Bramley enters on the opposite side of the stage from Anthony.  Durazo, standing, addresses him.)

 

                        Sir!

 

Bramley.          (Stopping)  Sergeant Durazo.  (Cynically)  I think you forgot something.

 

Durazo.           Sorry, sir.  I got caught up in taking care of the soldier we lost on the mission.  And then we had a mishap with one of my corporals.  I would like to request reinforcements. 

 

Bramley.          Ah, yes.  Private Savastano and Corporal Ruvolo.  (Chidingly)  Request denied! 

 

Durazo.           But, sir, we need the extra two guys!

 

Bramley.          You won’t need anyone where you are going.  Sergeant you and your men are to report to command.  You are being placed under arrest for dereliction of duty!

 

Durazo.           But…

 

Anthony.         You b*****d!  You dare arrest us after you killed three good men!? 

 

                        (Anthony comes down and stomps towards Bramley.)

 

                        You’re not taking me without a fight!

 

Durazo.           Tony, get back to your post!

 

Anthony.         No!  I am going to finish this here and now!

 

Bramley.          I didn’t kill anyone.  It seems to me that your lack of leadership killed your men,

Sergeant.  I think it should be hard labor for your lot.

 

Anthony.         I ain’t goin’ back to jail!

 

Bramley.          It’s jail or the firing squad!

 

Anthony.         Damn you!!

 

                        (Anthony starts to run towards Bramley.  Benny gets up and intercepts Anthony.  As he does Bramley has pulled out a pistol and fires.  He shoots Benny in the back.  Benny starts to fall forward.  Anthony catches him.  Staring into Benny’s face Anthony is overcome with emotion.  He lies Benny on the ground and turns to face Bramley.)

 

Bramley.          You all saw it.  That kid was coming at me.  I had to protect myself! 

 

Anthony.         I’ll kill you!   Ahh!!

 

                        (Screaming Anthony charges Bramley.  Bramley calmly and methodically raises his pistol and shoots Anthony through the head.  Anthony falls dead to the ground just feet from Bramley.  Taking quick aim, Giusepe, fires, killing Bramley.  Durazo stands still for a moment, stunned but what has transpired.  His gaze falls from Anthony and Bramley to Giusepe.)

 

Giusepe.          He had to die, Sarge.  Couldn’t let him go on killin’.  He would have got us next if I didn’t do somethin’ ‘cause we was witnesses.  We have to survive, Sarge.  We have to…for them.  (Gestures to Anthony and Benny.)

 

                        (Durazo looks in disbelief at the bodies of Anthony and Benny.  He is standing in shock when Benny moans.  Snapping out of it Durazo hurries to Benny’s side.)

 

Durazo.           Benny!  (Kneeling down he holds Benny in his lap.)  Benny!  Hold on just hold on.

 

Benny.             No…Sarge…

 

Durazo.           Do what I say Benny. Your gonna make it.

 

Benny.             No…I…Ain’t…

 

Durazo.           Damn it Benny!

 

Benny.             Sarge?

 

Durazo.           Yea?

 

Benny.             Sarge, did…did…I do good?

 

Durazo.           (To the point of tears)  Yea…yea…ya did.

 

(Curtain)

© 2010 West of Everyone


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Now this is what I call a well layed out and well put together stage play.
Love all the introduction you added. That is remarkable and gives us direction
on what is going on. Very well thought out.

This is quite a remarkable read too, I enjoyed this. So much action
and detail. Quite amusing in places I must admit. Wars must go on.
We wouldn't have a place in the world today if we wouldn't
have fought for it.

Remarkable write here. I'd pay money to see this one performed.




Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Now this is what I call a well layed out and well put together stage play.
Love all the introduction you added. That is remarkable and gives us direction
on what is going on. Very well thought out.

This is quite a remarkable read too, I enjoyed this. So much action
and detail. Quite amusing in places I must admit. Wars must go on.
We wouldn't have a place in the world today if we wouldn't
have fought for it.

Remarkable write here. I'd pay money to see this one performed.




Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 16, 2009
Last Updated on April 6, 2010

Author

West of Everyone
West of Everyone

Birch Bay, WA



About
I am an ecclecticly eccentric poet, who is currently working on a book. I am an Actor/playwright. I have atteneded college under an acting degree. I've been toying with the idea of obtaining an Eng.. more..

Writing