Life Isn't Easy

Life Isn't Easy

A Story by AshleyNicole
"

Based in the 1920s

"

The 20s, a time for change. A time for movies, music, drinking, and gangs. I never cared much for the changes, but I accepted them anyways. Then there would be my complete opposite, my sister Kitty who jumped right in. She was so absorbed in these changes, it was unbelievable. She was a baby vamp, yes with her flowing dark hair and her vibrant green eyes. With her bearcat personality the drugstore cowboys sure did love her. She was all anyone could talk about. That all doesn't matter now, because all I’m here for is to tell you her story.

***

            “Kitty! Where the hell did you go?” I screamed down the street. I wasn't surprised she had run off, she seemed to have a knack for disappearing.

            “Kitty, this isn’t funny!” I attempted again.

            I started to turn around and was about to give up, when a muffed noise caught my attention in a dark alleyway, I slowly headed in that direction only to interrupt my sister’s “quality time” with another sleazy guy who was totally fried. Just the sight of her pressed against that wall, her skirt pushed up passed her thighs, her arms wrapped around his neck, with hands roaming made me want to upchuck.

            “Excuse me, pull those grimy hands off my sister and back off.” I hissed.

            He glanced at me a smirk slowly forming on his face as he silently released her. I had to keep my face blank as I recognized him, Leon, one of the biggest gang leaders in town. If looks could kill I’d be dead on the spot with the way my sister glowered at me.

            “Kit, let’s go.” I said as I reached for her arm.

            “No.” Kitty replied pulling away.

            “What did you just say?” I said. Kit and I often butted heads but this time was different. The look in her eyes displayed complete defiance and anger.

            “I said no; leave me alone, you aren't my mother.” Kitty spat.

            “Whoa, I don’t want to cause any trouble.” Leon said with a twinkle in his eye as he glanced towards me, a knowing smile crossing his lips.

            “Leon, what are you doing?” Kitty said. Leon turned to  her placing his hands on her shoulders saying, “Baby, I think you should go. You know I don’t want you to, but tonight’s not a good time. Looks like you have some things to deal with. I’ll see you soon.” Leon turned on his heel to leave only to be interrupted by my sister.

“Do I get a present before I go?” Kitty questioned with that mischievous look.

            Without hesitation, Leon turned and pulled Kit close, kissing her with a deep fiery passion.

            I pulled them apart, grabbing Kitty’s arm once more. She tried to protest, but she stopped when she realized it was useless. Luckily, we made it out of the alley before I started to lecture her. “Really, Terry what’s eating you?

            I spun to face her, “What’s eating me? I don’t think you have the right to ask me any questions right now. Do you even know him? You better spill it.” I said in one breath.

            Taking a deep breath, she launched into how she “knew” him. As it turns out, she had met him in a local speakeasy which happens to be a pretty shady joint if you ask me. She had no choice but to talk to him, by first glance she was hooked by his tall, lean body, his golden slicked back hair, and his light blue eyes were mesmerizing. She walked towards this mystery man, and pulled up a seat next to him scooting a little closer than needed. They sat there for hours talking and getting to know each other. It’s hard to explain she would say. Every time she said this I wanted to tell her everything that I knew and what she would eventually find out, but for the time being I just let her talk and bask in the new adventures he brought.

            “So, you met him in a speakeasy? Doesn't that seem kind of dangerous, risky, or even scary to you? I guess what I mean is, can you trust him?” I said.

            Looking at me with a slight smirk she replied, “Yes, I can trust him but I don’t think I’m the one you should be worrying about. What about you, huh? Seems like something about you has changed, maybe it’s time for you to spill.”

I had changed, from a sensible young women to crazy or at least that was what my kind were called. I was a flapper. I couldn't help it, I for once was enjoying myself for the first time and being a flapper gave me more perks than she could ever imagine. I couldn't tell her this though, so instead I said, “Yes, I have changed, but we’re not talking about me we’re talking about you.”

            “Pu-lease, you’re just as bad as me. You’re not as golden as you think you. Admit it; we’re more alike than you want to admit.” She said effortlessly.

            I couldn't control my temper any longer. She just didn't understand the dangerous waters she was treading, “Yes, we’re alike, but you forgot something dear sister, you forgot that you’re a quiff and I am not.”

            Her face flushed, “Screw you Terry! You’re all about trust, but why can’t you talk to me?” She didn't speak to me the rest of the way home, but my thoughts filled the empty space. My mind kept replaying the scene in the alley. Their embrace, Kit’s glare, Leon’s smile, and the fear and anger that wouldn't do away. No matter how much I disapproved I could completely understand Kit’s attraction to Leon, but I didn't want her to be living the life I was. I didn't want her to constantly fear for her life just because of who her boyfriend was. Kit had such a bright future, an aspiring actress filled with such vest for life. I would not allow her to throw it all away for a life that she knew nothing about.

When I woke the next day Kit was already gone. I knew she had to be on the set today, but I still couldn't help but worry about her. I felt horrible about what I had said to her last night, but I couldn't dwell on that, I had a date. I leaped out of bed, slipping on my favorite dark blue dress. The dress was perfectly cut to show of my long slender gams. I quickly brushed and styled my new bob, added a little paint on my lashes, and I was ready.

            I had met Frank down at a local speakeasy. It wasn't the prettiest location to be meeting with your boyfriend. With its grimy walls, doors barely hanging on the hinges, and not to mention the slimy looking people around the small shack like building. I grabbed the closest stool and waited for what seemed like hours. I heard the door creek open and I turned, to see the last person I wanted to see, Leon.

            “What do you want?” I said as he pulled up the closest bar stool.

            “I just want to chat. Is talking a crime now?” He said with a smirk making me want to smack it right off his face.

            “I suppose not, but make it quick, I have a date,” I hissed.

            “Oh, I know. Frank talks about you constantly,” Leon said laughing slightly rolling his eyes.

            I couldn't help but smile at this. I knew Frank was a part of Leon’s gang. I had known for quite a while now. It hadn't bothered me until last night when I caught Leon feeling up my sister. So just as quickly as that thought surfaced my smile disappeared and hardened into a look of disgust.

            Laughing he continued to talk, “I saw that smile. You like Frank don’t ya? Maybe like how I like your sister?”

            He was just trying to make me upset, I have known Leon long enough to know that he really didn't like my sister, she was just another girl for him to get a little nookie from.

            “No answer?” he commented.

            “You better leave my sister alone. I know you well enough that you’ll just play her and leave her in tears. Just like everyone else” I replied.

            “Are we talking about your sister or you?”

            “We are not talking about me! You need to leave her alone; I don’t want to have to pick up all her pieces.” I whispered.

            His smile slowly fading, placing a hand on my shoulder he quietly replied, “Terry, I did care about you, it was just…complicated. I was just being accepted into the gang and you know the dangers. It just wouldn't have worked.”

            I glanced down, as I suddenly grew embarrassed for my stupidity. “What can I say thought, I fell for your damn charm, but really, though what’s with you and my sister?”For the first time in my life I saw him blush. Then it clicked, he really did like my sister, and I was trying to keep them apart. “You love her don’t you,” I said in astonishment.

 He blushed even harder as he grabbed my hand, and started in on how he loved Kitty. I was so intent on listening to his story I hadn't noticed Frank walk through the door. I didn't notice him until I saw a fist make contact with Leon’s face. I whipped around only to see Frank in a jealous outrage attacking Leon. I tried to pull him off but was to slow, as the bartender whipped out his gun and threatened to shoot if they didn't take it outside. Frank literally dragged Leon out of that place before I could stop him.

            “Man, what are you doing!” shouted Leon.

            “I’m gonna kill you man. No one touches my girl!” yelled Frank.

            I wasn't afraid of being hit by Frank. I don’t know why but I wasn't. “STOP IT! What is your beef Frank? You don’t know nothing of what was going on in there Frank. So you better simmer down a little before someone actually gets hurt!” I yelled in his face.

            I stood there glaring down Frank, simply daring him to throw another punch. I stood there for about five minutes before Frank reached out his hand for Leon’s. I made them both sit right outside that speakeasy as Leon explained everything, no detail left out.

            “So you love this dame?” questioned Frank.

           Leon was caught a little off guard by this outright question. “Yes Frank, I think I do. Yet, I have no idea what to do. You all know ‘bout the gang and all the bad things I've done. I don’t want Kitty involved, but I don’t know how to keep it from her. I don’t know how you do it Terry, it’s so hard.” He quietly said as he glances my direction.

            “I know it is, you should have heard the argument we had last night after I found you two together. It was horrible, but I don’t want her involved in any of this gang stuff either. I don’t want her to grow up like me. I want her to be famous and in less danger than the life I've chosen. I just want her to be happy.” I whispered.

            Slightly smiling Leon said, “Oh, I heard your argument, I can’t believe you called her a quiff!”

            Laughing, I said, “I know I can’t believe it either.”

            “Hey, Terry shouldn't you tell her. I mean if any of the rival gangs find out the Leon has an interest in Kit then she might be in a lot of trouble.” Frank stated.

            I sat there and thought about what Frank had said. I finally stood up and said, “Give me some time to think about it, okay?” I said.

            They both nodded that they understood. We then said our goodbyes, I kissed Leon on the cheek then turned and kissed Frank. I wanted to stay longer with Frank because our date wasn't what I had thought, but I knew I had to check up on Kit. I finished my goodbyes and headed off to the set of the movie Kit was working on.

            When I finally arrived at the set of “A Night Under the Stars,” a great new movie that Kit had gotten lucky enough to be the leading actress in. She had worked so hard to earn that spot, but I knew she still felt bad about beating out Clara Bow for the lead. Even though I kept telling her that Clara had been acting forever and it was now her chance for the spot light. I walked quietly on to set, quickly seeing Kitty over in make-up. As I strolled over there she turned and glared. I just kept walking towards her, until I was standing right next her. She spun around and spat, “What do you want?”

            “We need to talk about Leon.” I said.

            “What about him?” she said a little more calmly.

            “I have something you should know about him and…..me.” I whispered.

             She grabbed my arm and pulled me to the back of the room. “What are you talking about?”

            I took one last deep breath and spilled everything, how I had met Leon before I had become a flapper, how we were blissfully in love (or so I thought), how he was in a gang, and how I was now dating another man from the gang. I've never seen someone so shocked before.

            “Wait, you dated my Leon? And you, and you….HE’S IN A GANG!” she stammered as the news sunk in.

            I laughed I couldn't help it, just the look on her face. I began to tell her why I pulled her away from him last night. I explained my own heartbreak he had caused and the danger of his gang. I then explained how he was a bootlegger (one of the best) I told her how he was the head of the gang not just some lackey who could be pushed around. She still stood there speechless.  I thought maybe she had gone into shock until she finally spoke. “Are you telling me I can date him?” she questioned

            I laughed again as I said yes, but only with a few rules.

            “Rule one: Do not ask for information about the gang.  Rule two: Do not make yourself known around the speakeasies as Leon’s girlfriend. Rule three: Just be careful.” I stated.

            She rolled her eyes at every rule, but I knew she understood, she wasn't stupid.

            We talked for a few more minutes until she was needed on set.  So, I told her I’d talk to her later when she was done. As I was walking out the door I bumped into Leon, I didn't stop to talk to him, but I did give the look of approval. He smiled and walked in.  But that wasn't the weird part, after Leon, Miss Clara Bow herself walked past me. I could tell by the look on her face that something was wrong. I started to grow worried so I turned around to check on Kit one last time. As I walked back in I saw Leon just standing there. I walked up and stood next to him and whispered, “What’s going on?”

            “Clara just came in ranting and raving about Kit being an immature brat who doesn't deserve this part.”

            I nodded my head and waited. I didn't have to wait much longer when suddenly Clara was being dragged out of one of the rooms yelling and screaming, “You’ll be sorry! And you stupid little quiff, you won’t last long, I swear!”

            Kitty looked like she was gonna cry, her lip was quivering and she was biting back her emotions. Leon and I ran towards her and hugged her, reassuring her that it’s all okay. She sniffled, as she cried into Leon’s shoulder.

            “She was so angry. Maybe I don’t deserve this,” she said through her sniffles.

            “No, you earned this, you proved you were better.” I replied.

            “Baby Doll, it’s okay, I won’t let anything happen to you, I promise.” Leon said as he hugged her close.

            I smiled now knowing that Kit was in good hands. She would be safe and never alone. We finally convinced her to take the day off as we all decided we needed some giggle water. We spent a couple hours drinking and smoking, when I told them I had to go that I was meeting Frank, they just nodded their heads and smiled. I smiled knowing Leon and Kit were utterly in love.  I spent the night out with Frank, I didn't think of Kit until I woke up the next morning.

            I rolled over in bed and discovered that Frank wasn't there. I was shocked as I jumped up and found a note on the bedside table.

Dear Terry,

Something suddenly came up with the gang. Leon needed my help.

Love, Frank

            I knew something was up, so I literally ran throwing on a dress, adding a few curls and a little paint to my eyes as I ran out the door.  I knew I had to find Kitty. I needed her. I knew she had to be on set this morning as I ran down the street pushing people out of my way. I was breathless when I finally reached the studio only to be welcomed by sirens. I was worried, I had to get in there. I ran up to the door only to be grabbed and told I couldn't go inside. I complained and cried explaining that my sister was inside. With looks of sympathy they let me in. I looked everywhere only to find Leon standing next to a…body crying.

            “No, no!” I whispered as I ran towards Leon.

            I looked down and saw my worst nightmare. Kitty, my sister just lying there slowly dying. I fell to my knees as I grabbed her other hand.

            “What happened?” I asked to no one in particular.

            She moved her lips enough to say, “Torpedo.” I told her not to talk anymore, but she had something to say as she looked at Leon and I.

            I was trying to hold back my tears, but was unsuccessful as one slipped and landed on my hand. I squeezed Kit’s hand as she whispered, “I love you Terry, you’re the best sister I could have ever had.” She then turned her head towards Leon, “I love you more than words can describe. Do me a favor? Watch over Terry keep her safe, promise?”

            Gulping back tears, “I love you Kitty, you were my first love and my greatest. I promise..”

            A few seconds Kitty died from the gunshot wound. Leon and I sat there and cried for what seemed like hours as he muttered to himself. I only heard snippets of what he was saying but a few of them caught my attention, things like “I promised to protect her.”

            Minutes later I felt someone touch my shoulder, I looked up and it was the people here to take Kitty’s body away. I sniffled as I moved away pulling Leon with me. We walked through the door only to be almost run over by Frank. He was breathless as I ran and dug my face into his chest crying my eyes out. 

            A few weeks later, it was reported that Clara Bow had hired a torpedo to kill Kit 
because of her jealousy. By that time we had had the funeral and were trying to move on. I moved out of my apartment in with Frank and Leon. Life wasn't easy, but when you think about it, life isn't meant to be easy. 

© 2013 AshleyNicole


Author's Note

AshleyNicole
I wrote this a long time ago

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

93 Views
Added on January 22, 2013
Last Updated on January 22, 2013

Author

AshleyNicole
AshleyNicole

Missoula, MT



About
My name's Ashley. A 20yr old journalism student in the beautiful state of Montana. Other than news stories I focus on poetry, short stories and sometimes scripts. more..

Writing
Us Us

A Poem by AshleyNicole