Speculation of a Raven

Speculation of a Raven

A Poem by Ashira Macy
"

Dark poem written in my adolescence.

"

Darkness.

A journey to my mind would give you complete darkness.

I search my soul and find the same thing,

A void where love, compassion and happiness once rested.


A raven.

Ever an omen of bad news,

Foreboding and malicious.

I see my mind and soul transform into this bird of sorrow.


Tears.

The hateful liquid forms in my eyes and threatens to emerge.

My thoughts cry out to me, “No! Tears show weakness, do not be weak!”

As they stream down my face I am once again left in the darkness, abandoned by thoughts.


Fools.

Friends, family, therapists.

They know everything, yet at the same time… nothing.

Try as they may they cannot hope to understand that which I myself struggle to decipher.

Or perhaps I am the fool to not know why I feel what I feel.


Freedom.

I long for this with every fiber of my being.

There are two roads to freedom, one long, the other short.

Both roads end in death.

To be truly free you must not be tied to the earth.


Death.

The destination of both roads.

Does the short road lead to freedom as well?

I go on asking questions I would have to answer myself.


Darkness,

A raven,

Tears,

Fools,

Freedom

Death.

© 2014 Ashira Macy


Author's Note

Ashira Macy
My 15 year old self was already pretty dark I guess. I am interested in what people take away from this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yes this is a dark piece but many good writings come from deep raw emotions. 15 year olds are full of emotions that are hard to understand and you captured this beautifully from the inside. It shows the pain and emotion a teen can feel during this time and to be misunderstood at the same time is a sad a painful time. Well done in capture all of this.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing this one, I am glad you liked it.



Reviews

I'm 15 now and often I feel worse or close to the emotion and feelings in this poem. Great piece :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Wow, I had no idea you are 15 (your writing does not indicate it, so kudos to you for being so matur.. read more
micky

9 Years Ago

I am titled as mature :) but thanks for the insite
an amazing poem for someone of so few of years .. 15!! wow! i love the raven .. as omen ..so was hooked on your title alone .. of course the great Poe comes to mind right away but ..i actually dismissed any connection of your poem to him .. a passing nod of respect as it were .. i think your poem is well constructed .. its free verse is given building blocks that hold it together and wrap it up at the end .. this is one of the best poems i have read about depression yet .. i truly mean that .. it is dark but not morbid .. not so much plea but a statement .. this is what it is .. you will never understand it .. i can't figure it out! ... in a teenage woman this can be buried and manifest in some pretty destructive self harm .. i don't know if this is confessional for you but if so .. what great courage you chose as a young lady .. turning to poetry .. honest introspection and healing expression .. and if not .. your insights and ability show a marvelous gift .. so hurrah for you! well done says i .. well done indeed ..and thank you for sharing .. :)
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much for your insight Noodle, you are so right. It is not something that anyone ca.. read more
This piece sits well on the page and read well throughout

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Thanks Mary.
What a beautiful write this is. again your pen strikes the magic which we have come to expect from you.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Thank you Susan, you are sweet.
Interesting read, the poem tumbles and cascades to a glorious finish, a little dark yes but not morbidly so, this feels like a poetic 'teaser trailer' for your talent, as if each stanza could break away and become its own story.

Nicely penned!

-Robin

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Thank you Robin, that is a very unique way of putting it. I never even thought of it like that, but .. read more
very beautiful thought. well done

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Thank you dear.
I really like the side of the story that says that not all help is helpful. This is a wonderful yet dark write
:)
-QuanaWana

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I am glad you enjoyed it.
It is probably a pivotal moment in the journey through The Self in my views. I find it attractive in fact adddictive I have made no secret when it comes to demonstrating my feelings for Poe's image and writings they are to me a beacon of light. I am not sure of your state at 15 but in order to be able to sit down and wirte something like this to me an acomplishment without evn knowing the age behind the writer. you seem to have mapped out the layout, the road you wanted to travel through this inward looking place. You also added experiences from your own world and came out at me as a synthesis. A very well developed one.

Still, though no sign of Lenore.... She still is in "no more" I guess.

Thankyou



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Thank you Rene, I am so happy you enjoyed this one. It was certainly a reflective time in my life. I.. read more
Deep, dark and convoluted like most 15 year old's especially girls, but not many could pen something this eloquent...everything is so black and white at that age, it's a wonder we ever make it out of our teens...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Thanks Frieda, it really is amazing most of us make it out.
Written just at 15, shows that u become mature at an early age, a very nice work :) wish u the best

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashira Macy

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much my friend!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

817 Views
38 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 17, 2014
Last Updated on July 20, 2014
Tags: dark, death, raven, freedom, suicide, speculation, angst, teen, depression, madness

Author

Ashira Macy
Ashira Macy

Martinez, CA



About
I am 24 years old and just getting back into writing after not using the skill for a few years, so I am a bit rusty. I am excited to share my new work as well as some old with this community and would.. more..

Writing
Lucky Lucky

A Poem by Ashira Macy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Time Time

A Poem by Tate Morgan