Forgetting

Forgetting

A Poem by Ashley Collis
"

A small poem I wrote, largely uneditted, need advice on the structure and editing.

"

My love is stretched so thin,

Spread so far over this planet that I’m lost in threads and fragments of people I’m desperately trying not to forget.

I feel it in my skin pulled taught over my heart’s futile attempt at tug of war.

In the grieving strain of my tendons

In my sockets separating and my arms unravelling, as did the threads of the borrowed clothes that I’ll never return.

I feel it in my bones as they become too weak to hold it all

They crack and splinter; what was supposed to hold me together is now breaking me apart.

For it has grown too big, spread its wings and flown too far.

I can no longer gather it all up and place it in front of me, because the bodies of the people I’m carrying in my chest cant even fit in the same room.

Still I’d rather my skin stretch and my tendons pull, have my bones turn to dust Than let go.

But I cannot.

Because forgetting isn’t something you do, it’s something that happens to you.

And I ended up weak, with skin sagging and muscles rendered useless.

What once occupied so much space within me is now scattered across something too large for me to wrap my arms around.

What used to fill me and make me whole is what drove me to burst.

And now I’m empty. 

© 2014 Ashley Collis


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on January 10, 2014
Last Updated on January 10, 2014
Tags: love, friendship, teen, separation, displacement

Author

Ashley Collis
Ashley Collis

Sydney, City, Australia



About
I'm a young amateur writer with very little experience. I like to write prose, poetry and short stories but i'd like to expand it to longer pieces when i feel more confident. I'd love any feedback on .. more..

Writing
He asked He asked

A Story by Ashley Collis