New Year's Eve.

New Year's Eve.

A Story by Asma AbdelQadir
"

Narrative Essay.

"

 

             Another year is saying goodbye. For me, it's just another number is being added to the Calendar. I don't usually care about social occasions and celebrations, but this year the story went unexpectedly different.


          For a New-Yorker business man, getting closer to the end of the year means an extra hard work for a necessary -every year's- service field expansion and customers contentment. I know this makes you think I'm a business hungry, family uncaring man, but I'm not. I will visit my family and we will gather every year, if I only had one, For a 30-year-old unmarried man like me, business is the focus of  my life, at the moment, even in holidays.


        As an almost daily routine, I woke up early, semi-closed eyes would be glad with some coffee. I brushed my brown messed-up hair and wore a fine dark-grey suit. On my way to work, the car broke down, fortunately we were two blocks away from my work, so I decided to go on walking. It was the first time I walk in this street, Ironic right? I never knew there's a cup-cakes shop around the corner. I decided to break the system and be late for work. I went inside as so many people looked at me and my expensive briefcase and sunglasses, wondering what a man like me is doing in this small shop. I headed straight to the bar to order, when an indescribable beautiful lady asked me what do I like to have. "Sir!" She repeated as I didn't answer for the first time, I really liked her eyes that I hesitantly answered: "One.. one cake... cinnamon.. one cinnamon cake.. please". I took my cake and went quickly after looking at my watch. On my way to the office, I met an old beggar who was holding a piece of paper with a writing "Need kidney for my wife, Please help" I passed him, then I saw a Japanese man talking on the phone angrily saying "Sorry sir, you don't have the required skills". He was standing on a bus station. "Unprofessional youths apply for jobs, annoying I know" I said after he hanged up the phone and that's how we started talking until I convinced him to give me that kid's number. I proceeded my way while talking to that kid named "Tom", amazed by his skills, confused by the refusal of the Japanese man, sympathetic with his story; he loves a girl but cannot propose to her because he doesn't have the money, I gave him a good position in my company. The feeling of  helping someone positively changed me.


       A week later, I decided to go to back from work on foot, it was the 29th of December. Freezing cold made me think of  the beggar I met a week ago, I went to the place he was at but didn't find him. When I asked a florist on the same pavement, he said he found the money and saved his wife. Good news provoked me to buy some flowers, but who would I give them to? You know, of course, the girl from the shop around the corner. I went over there, she didn't come that day. So I asked about her name, she is called "'Anne", also her place where I went. Have I told you about Irony? Not yet; when I went to her house, Tom, my employee, opened the door for me "Mr. Daniel! What a pleasure! come inside please!"  said Tom in a surprised expression. He wasn't the only surprised one in here, you know what I mean! Furthermore, I found the old beggar setting on a cheap table holding -who to seems- his wife's hand. I didn't ask about "Anne" because I already knew. It was clear, that she was the girl who he told me about when he first applied to a job. In addition, he assured my doubt with calling her "Anne, honey, come and say hello to my boss". I sat with the family talking and laughing, satisfied with the feeling of saving a family before the new year comes by.


         I never knew helping one person would naturally help many associated people. And the I realized; It is a circle you live in, not only coincidences.


That was the reason which changed my view at the new year's eve. Since then, I decided that every year, I won't let the last evening pass without having saved at least one family. Now new year's eve means a lot to me, not only to draw warm smiles on people's faces, but also that you can change what you cannot break. That was the slogan for the new branch in my company, which is called "New Year's eve, New Opportunities".

© 2014 Asma AbdelQadir


Author's Note

Asma AbdelQadir
Thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The content is fine I would work more on the grammar and tenses of the story, it took away as I was trying to read

Posted 10 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
1 Review
Added on April 4, 2014
Last Updated on April 14, 2014
Tags: Short Story, Article, Essay, Narrative

Author

Asma AbdelQadir
Asma AbdelQadir

Assuit., Asyut., Egypt



About
I'm 20-year-old Egyptian girl, I study English literature and civilization. I like painting and designing. I write essays, short stories, and I also work on my first Novel at the moment. Please encour.. more..