Invitation to South Korea

Invitation to South Korea

A Story by Astra
"

Just the beginning of my journey here in Ulsan, South Korea.

"
 
Have you ever been offered an experience you weren’t expecting, only to discover it's exactly what you’ve been looking for? In the last few weeks of June 2008, a recruiter from Footprints emailed me and offered me one such opportunity.
                              “My name is Melissa and … I am writing to you today after
                               seeing your resume on Yahoo Hotjobs. …Although you might
                               not specifically be looking to teach overseas I thought I would
                               bring our opportunities to your attention.”
      Curious and unhappy in my position as a theatre manager, I explored farther -ending my search with a filled out application and eventually a contract to teach in Ulsan, South Korea.
   On the days leading up to my departure, doubt started setting in. What would happen to my family and friends while I was overseas? How was I going to survive being alone for the first time in my life? Could I really go through with this knowing what I was leaving behind? The longer I thought about what I was doing, the more uncertain I became until I almost convinced myself to cancel everything.
     The night before I left, as I picked up my mother’s picture to stash it inside my suitcase, her words to me before she died entered my head.
                             “Do not let anyone take your dreams from you. Sweetheart, you
                             have always been meant to fly.”   As I put her picture inside, the doubts began to fade and the next morning, following my mother’s advice, I stepped onto the plane- dread and excitement dancing inside as I said farewell to the rest of my family and disappeared into the gateway.
  Alone for the first time in my life, I took out the books on South Korea I had received as gifts and started pouring over them. In the nine hour airline trip (plus one day), I wanted to learn everything I possibly could about this new world I was entering.  A first impression is an experience remembered most and I wanted to make mine a good one. After all, I would be living there for a year and starting on the wrong foot would make things difficult for all of us.
     Landing in Inch’ eon Airport, I stepped off the plane into another world. The doubts returned in full force as I waited in line to pass through foreigner check-in, leaving me wondering if I had actually made the right decision or if this really was a big mistake.
   Coming to teach in a country I knew very little about, so far from everything I care about, has been both frightening and exciting. I am surrounded by foreign speakers, never knowing what is being said, unsure if the next words out of my mouth will make me look like the crazy foreigner they believe me to be. I am trying to teach English (a mandatory class) to middle school students who have only met maybe one other foreign teacher in their entire lives, and only because he was helping my school until I arrived.

            Yet, South Koreans are the friendliest people I have ever met. Those that can speak English, even if it is only haltingly, try to hold conversations with me. I am learning Korean and Hangul (the Korean writing system). When I try using phrases such as “Annyong haseyo” or “Annyong kyeseyo” (Hello/good morning and one form of goodbye) or when I write words I’ve memorized such as 밥 (bap/ rice) or one of the students names, they applaud and are very excited.

            Though I miss everything back in the states, I feel home here in Ulsan, South Korea. I have been here a month and two weeks and have enjoyed all my experiences so far. As much as I might have dreaded leaving everyone, I welcome the chance to explore a new culture and experience the opportunities I have been given. I have more freedom on my own and I can find out just what kind of person I really am. As my mother said, I was meant to fly. And spreading my wings, I’ve gained more than I could have possibly imagined by accepting Footprints invitation to teach in South Korea.

 

© 2008 Astra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on November 21, 2008

Author

Astra
Astra

St. Augustine, FL



About
I have traveld to and lived in several different states on the East side of the Mississippi river. I have never been farther than St. Louis though I wish to one day get out west. I have spent 10 days .. more..

Writing
The Calling Card The Calling Card

A Story by Astra


Silent Promise Silent Promise

A Poem by Astra