Incalescent

Incalescent

A Story by Ceara
"

The building of a storm is a little like falling in love.

"
The first time Aegis fell in love, it was like rainwater. 
She was young, all small smiles and peeking glances when she'd first met him. Her tiny heart hammered loudly, like a drumbeat, like the tapping of water against the windowpane. There was a rhythm in the way he moved, music in his laughter; melodies flowed from his hands and eyes. Even as she ran and hid, she could still hear his voice, pouring into her mind, constant and gentle. 
"Like this." Myles said softly, holding his hand over her own. His fingers pressed her own gently down on the strings, moving patiently as the young girl tried to copy him, her hands as clumsy as her words. Awkward melodies tumbled from nervous hands, and the older boy laughed, bright as a sunshower. 
"Practice a little more. You almost have it." The instrument in his hands was magic, chords and note falling in a perfect way. The smile he gave warmed Aegis's heart, and she ducked behind her bangs once more, afraid the heat of her face would evaporate this moment. 
Practice, practice, accumulate. Slim fingers stumbled on strings, slid along the neck until her fingertips were rough, until all she could hear was his voice. Like her heart had leaked into the tone, the guitar softly sang to her, repeating tiny words of adoration, drops of sadness and love. I love you, she thought, playing her confessions through gentle twangs. Over and over and over, the music flowed, like her feelings, like the rain she didn't avoid anymore. Can you hear it? If I play this enough, will you hear me? 
Like rainwater, Aegis couldn't catch him. He slipped between her fingers, seamlessly, something she could never hold. The rain fell hard, and Aegis looked down at her feet, feelings enough to drown in, lost songs enough to sink. 
But there was music, buoyant, and it was enough. 
The second time she fell in love, it was like standing in a wind.
Recklessly youthful, Aegis had cut away her cloudcover, wading through water while staring at the world with determined eyes. The guitar sang loudly, harshly, mirroring its owner. Quickly, swelling, the chords jumped and bloomed, free and raw. 
Don't get close to me. It pushed, sharp tones warning through gentle lyrics. Don't be pulled into the water. Content to drown peacefully, she played, keeping people at the water's edge. 
"Hey. You. You're the one playing guitar after class, right?" Aegis turned around, and almost fell back with the fierceness in those eyes. The girl before her wasn't much taller than her, but there was a force around her, something swirling from those icy blue eyes. It was chilling.
And yet. Aegis found her eyes following the girl, searching for night-colored hair. The girl was not friendly. The cold in her words hung in the air like a cold snap, pushing others to flee for a warmer place. The guitarist looked around, snow falling as soft as the rain before it. There was suddenly frost everywhere, and she wasn't sure if she'd be trapped under and drown, or pull herself above it. 
Aegis held her hand, cold as snow, and smiled at the ice queen. The wind pushed hard, but it pulled her towards Wynter. She was determined to melt the shell, and feel the warmth hiding under the ice. Bold notes, loud and strong, rang out in their ears, as Aegis played her adoration for her friend. 
I love you. It murmured and growled, light as air and stronger than a gale. Let me stay with you. Stay with me.
Aegis played on like a hurricane, feeling something swelling every time she sang into the rain. The water stirred around her feet, but there was air, and there was music, and she didn't feel quite like sinking anymore. 
The third time Aegis fell in love, it was like lightning.
Music was plenty, and friends were warm and sturdy. Even the water, ankle deep and shrinking, was warm as summer. The wind was gentle, and she kept playing, playing for her friends, playing for herself. 
It was a sunny day when Aegis grabbed a familiar hand, and felt a pulse shock her down to her feet. Quick, as unpredictable as a bolt, she looked into the eyes of her bandmate, and found she couldn't quite look at him directly anymore. Her fingertips tingled where she'd touched his skin, and the water was restless again.
It had been innocent, a simple gesture of kindness! He'd been warm, friendly and far away as the sun. And suddenly, everything burned. It was like she'd stuck her hand in a fire. 
Nope. Didn't happen. She thought, ignoring the clouds building overhead. It was a random thing, not meant for her, and besides, Nero was too meek. There was nothing there. And yet there was some kind of spark, and it pricked at her. It jumped like her heart, unsteady, slowly illuminating things she wasn't ready for.
She felt a warm gaze, and found herself squinting through the brightness to look for him. Flashing feelings, fast enough to see and etch themselves in her eyes. The world thundered, and Aegis found herself in the middle of a storm.
Not again. She thought. The music thrummed loudly in her ears, as she tried to drown out the words the repeated in her mind, or the color of his eyes. 
Not again. She tried to duck away, to hide behind excuses. I'm in love with someone else. Except the wind wouldn't let her, and blew that flimsy cover away. I don't see him that way. And yet her eyes lingered on his back, on the way he left warmth where he touched, on the brilliance of his smile. Everything piled together, leaving Aegis staring, awed by the light flashing in the sky, and terrified of the rain. The water was all but gone, and now there was a new downpour. The storm raged, and Aegis trembled.
Anxiety poured over her, and maybe she would have sank. It would have been a relief to drown, to let herself avoid all this pain again. But there was a hand. It shook before her, and it was a little reluctant. Listening to her feelings which had swelled inside like a thunderstorm, she gently took the hand. And then listened. 
There was something like water around him, too. Muddy, heavy, sticky feelings of fear covered the boy, slowly moving, trying to cover him. And gently, so gently, Aegis pulled him closer. A simple song repeated with ardency, pianissimo, growing to a crescendo. 
It was a little awkward, and a little messy, but Aegis held tight, letting her feelings build up like a flood. I'll wash away those worries, she thought. Even if I drown, I know, you'll still be here. That's the kind of person you are. The girl, not so young anymore, picked up her guitar, and looked right into the boy's eyes, the night sky just beginning to set behind them.
"I love you." She sang, fingers strong and quick; as fast as the light streaked across her sky. "I definitely love you, every part of you. I won't run away anymore." Bright like lightning, backed by her rain and wind, the storm broke, showering her affection in a storm as wild as the music she played for him.
The music he played back, soft and shy, was better than even the clearest skies.  

© 2015 Ceara


Author's Note

Ceara
IGNORE THIS ONE????

*winces at the cheesiness of it all*

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on March 14, 2015
Last Updated on March 14, 2015

Author

Ceara
Ceara

CA



About
asdfadsf more..

Writing
Turning Point Turning Point

A Story by Ceara