Abyss

Abyss

A Story by Aurora Masquerade
"

This is my dream with a more descriptive viewpoint. I wrote it for a class and wanted to put it on here.

"

Abyss

 

It always starts with me alone in the middle of a bleak, long street. The street always looks fractured and covered in craters, some deeper than others. Nothing seems to be moving, and it is almost completely silent. All I can hear is the harsh sound of my breathing piercing the surroundings. The air smells stale here and the surrounding trees are all dead. It isn’t dark, though not bright either.  The sky is a murky, gray color and is full of dark clouds looking ready to burst with the amount of water they carry. I stay there for a little while, not moving and just staring at the seemingly endless road.

 

I begin to walk somewhere without control over my body. It feels as though I am wading through waist deep water. After what seemed like an eternity, I come to a decrepit house upon a hill of brown, crackly grass. This house makes me uneasy, perhaps even frightened yet I keep walking towards it. It is an ugly, pea green color with paint flaking off, revealing the white wall underneath. The windows are boarded up, glass from their panes all over the ground. Some shingles from the roof are on the ground as well, and the front door is off of the hinges and on the small front porch. The stairs leading up to the front porch are splintered and look unsafe. A very pungent smell comes from the home. It smells almost like a mixture of gas, rotten eggs, and spoiled milk. The pervasive smell made me gag and want to turn back around. I tried to stop myself from walking inside the dangerous house but it was useless, my body simply kept moving forward

 

 

I step inside and all of the walls are covered in pictures, some in frames and others not. Some look old with yellowed, bent edges while others look as though they were developed very recently. No matter how hard I try to make them out, I have never been able to see the faces in the photos. They are blurry, as though they were taken when the camera was unfocused.

 

I walk through the house but I don’t find anyone, I only see the walls covered in the blurred photographs. I move quicker now, almost frantically as I search for something unknown. I feel panicked, like I have forgotten something important. I am nearly hysterical now as I search the barren home.

 

As I turn around to keep looking, the house disappears from around me, taking my feelings of anxiety with it. In front of me now is a gaping, black chasm. From where I stand, it looks bottomless and extremely dark. It feels as though it is screaming at me, for what I don’t know.

Even though I should be, I can’t bring myself to be scared. I only feel calmness wash over me as I stare into it.

 

I begin to close the short distance between me and the abyss. I still don’t know what I am expecting from walking to it. The temperature seems to drop drastically with every small step I take closer to that great fissure in the ground. As I finally stop at the edge, I see a light at the bottom of all the darkness. I go to step forward when I hear a voice calling my name and cutting through the silence that I had grown used to. I feel extremely conflicted on whether I should turn around and go back or continue. I want to step forward. Yet I also wish to know who called me. I wanted to know where they were, and why were they only here now?

I feel ready to make a decision, yet I never have the chance to. I suddenly wake up in my bed and sit up, disrupting my cat. I sit in my dark room and wonder what on earth my dream could mean, maybe simply nonsense? Do I turn around and face the person calling out for me, or do I simply step forward? Perhaps I am not meant to know. I roll back over and burrow back into the warm, welcoming embrace of my mountainous pile of pillows and blankets. I eventually fall to sleep again, forgetting all about my dream as I let the Sandman work his magic again.

© 2016 Aurora Masquerade


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on January 23, 2016
Last Updated on January 23, 2016