When Did This Happen?

When Did This Happen?

A Story by Vesa Lee

 
When did this happen? When did things change?
 
Wasn't it just yesterday that we were making tepees in the backyard? Grinning with glee as we peered out at each other through the gaps between the boards; the lumber old and rotting, and yet to us they were beautiful.
 
When did this happen? When did we get older?
 
Has it truly been that long since we climbed the Mulberry tree? Our feet stained crimson after trampling the ripe fruit. Climbing ever higher in hopes of reaching the top. I never got very far but instead watched as you passed from branch to branch with skill.
 
When did this happen? When did we stop playing?
 
When I was the princess and you the warriors? Sitting quietly on the bed while all of you battled for ultimate victory. Light-sabers, swords, guns and superpowers. Play fights turned to real fights that no one ever won. I watched by the sidelines, never understanding why these pretend duals were so important.
 
When did this happen? When did we forget?
 
That every shiny stone should be saved?
That pennies are priceless.
That playgrounds are Castles.
That a water hoes is a Rainbow maker.
That cuts, scrapes, and bruises are meant to be treasured battle scars.
That a box filled with old clothes meant a play has yet to be born.
That love has no agenda, that forgiveness is given unbegrudedly.
And that every day should be lived to the fullest and that no one is ever left out.
 
Don't you remember? Have you forgotten?
 
Yes, I know you have. At least for now you have. Your world is so exciting now but in a different kind of way. I know things have changed and most of the time I'm glad. But still some times I miss it: those precious few days of my youth. I see now that you are all on your way to adulthood which means I too will soon follow.
 
Is it OK to be scared? Is it OK to feel stuck?
 
Reaching out to my future while still grasping tightly to my past. Afraid to let go, afraid to forget. But at least I have you to go before, to make a way, to clear the path. To tell me its OK, to cheer me on, to hold my hand. Because things will  change and already have, and I'm ready to face what life has to give me, if you'll promise to help me out.
 
But tell me, when did this happen? When did we grow up?

© 2012 Vesa Lee


Author's Note

Vesa Lee
Just thoughts I had about my childhood I shared mostly with my three older brothers.
I miss it sometimes...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was a very heartfelt piece, Vesa. I wonder the same thing myself sometimes. Remembering all the summers at Lake Whitney with my cousins. The seeming miles of cedar turning into the forests of Middle Earth, and the lake itself an vast ocean of endless adventures.

When did the decision to go swimming *ever* have to do with the temperature of the water, whether or not we were gonna get sunburnt, or even if we had the clothes to swim in?

A beautiful piece, Vesa. Very beautiful.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Reviews

Wow, I loved this, it makes you think
It was written so elegantly and was full of truths
Even though I'm only a teen, I can see how much has changed since my own childhood
Wow
zA~

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you for that, Vesa. Our childhoods are such a rich source of memories. Even though I'm 60, I've tried to hang onto some of my childhood, in protest of time. It sounds like you had a good time with your brothers. Sam

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

734 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 12, 2008
Last Updated on January 5, 2012

Author

Vesa Lee
Vesa Lee

About
I am a person. I am enthralled with reading/writing poetry and stories, as well as collecting quotes. I am captivated by beauty. I study it any chance I get. I want desperately to be loved by my S.. more..

Writing
armour-clad armour-clad

A Poem by Vesa Lee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..