Broken

Broken

A Story by Ayesha Khan


Broken yet brave.
She sat in the Starbucks cafe, sipping her coffee and staring out of the window. The blood stained knife lay next to her handbag, covered with her blue silk scarf.
It seems like yesterday, how happy Nikita felt. Finally the day was close. She was all nerves but quite excited too.
Rohan was a handsome guy,full of promise and a successful entrepreneur. He had setup his firm , himself through lot of dedication and hardwork.
Nikita too had a lot of dreams to fulfill and had been through a lot of ups and downs. She had a ten year old daughter from her previous marriage which failed. Misha a beautiful girl , Nikita's best friend the apple of her mother's eye.
Although life was not perfect for mother daughter yet it had been a beautiful journey together. They shared perfect moments of love and with Misha ,Nikita could relive her childhood. Growing up was fun.
Then came Rohan a young man who could make women drool . A man who was friendly , desirable and was ready wholeheartedly to accept Nikita with her daughter.
So things were moving along the right course at last ,Nikita thought .
Priya sounded concerned when Nikita shared her marriage plans with her.
She was quite skeptical of Rohan . Priya kind of hurt Nikita by her straightforward questions ,regarding the sudden appearance of this Rohan .She tried to warn her friend to fully enquire and not hurry into a new relationship.
Nikita had a stern look she shook her head in almost disgust and shot a question angrily at her. ' God damn I am hurrying , its been nearly a decade since I am single' . Priya gauged that her concern for her friends well being was not put up properly. She had blurted out her thoughts rather bluntly. She felt sorry. But still taking a firm stand she told her friend to be cautious.
Nikita was in no mood to delay. She gave little thought to her friends baseless fears. She was too eager and all ready to plunge in the sea of love of her newfound love .She gushed at the thought of starting a new life.
She had never been pragmatic . As time moved on their wedding day came closer.
Misha had a nonchalant attitude towards Rohan who tried his level best to win her too .
Rohan planned outings for them would surprise them with little gifts and outings. He would pack their weekends with fun and love and warmth. Something Nikita had been longing from a long time.
Past six months had been the most beautiful months of her lonely life. She thanked god for sending her a loving angel in the form of Rohan.
It was around eight ,night was about to devour everything around ,in its mystifying darkness. The moon was all hidden in the thick and smoky clouds. The clouds were red, it is said when it is so , it rains.
Misha was not well had fever so her mommy sat beside her stroking her forehead to make her sleep. The doorbell rang , the pitter- patter of rain too started.
Nikita opened the door Rohan smiled at her. She took him in , as he entered Nikita was shocked she screamed and Rohan fell down. Blood dripping she saw a knife was deep inside near his waist. Near his spleen he was fighting for his life struggling to breathe all this while he had put up a brave front but due to loss of blood he could not utter a single word. Tears streaming down her face both of them couldn't say anything.
Perhaps they did not wish to as the rain lashed outside the lovers too lay in each others arms.As the sun rose and spread its wings in the form of rays to cover the world with its light.
Nikita's world had come to a standstill. In a very short period of time Rohan had taught her to love and his warmth and unconditional love shone like the light of the morning sun.
The biggest life lesson he taught was to live life to the fullest enjoying all the moments . But she little knew about the past of her now dead lover.
She gathered herself up and phoned the police.
Officers arrived shortly and the body of Rohan lay in a pool of blood.
Nikita always had been a strong girl, she was not very worldly wise or practical at times naive too. Some years back she had cleared the exams for the police services and was currently an officer herself.
A lot had broken around her and within her . Still she wished to investigate the case herself.
She sent her request letters to her seniors and was permitted to be a part of the team.
So today in the Starbucks cafe she was waiting for a special crime branch head with the murder weapon the blood stained knife . When all the memories flashed back over the cup of coffee.
She was determined that she and her team would catch those criminals and put them behind bars. Maybe some things about Rohan's past about which he was so silent always had to do with his death.
But even though she had lost him the little time they spent together she had learned a lot of things about life. No matter how short our time spent with a loved one it never ceases to make the rest of the life beautiful. She now understood that what people mean by saying ,love never dies it is eternal it is we who die. She could feel Rohan's presence near her as she finished her coffee the blood stained knife lay hid beneath her blue scarf. Her eyes were swollen and wet but her heart aching but somehow felt light.
The officer arrived after a formal introduction she handed him the knife which he took in his custody.
So the investigation started the deceased young man had tried to bury his dark past. Some years back he had worked for some powerful people in his late teens .Then as he was immature and was in a hurry to make money , he did some illegal work for them. As he became mature he realized the futility of his life. He became disillusioned and wanted to end all of it.
So he quietly one day abandoned his place the people he worked for and all the greed for easy money he had.
In a few years with a lot of hardwork and some sincere honest friends he again rose to success. This time by righteous means.
Then he met Nikita and in her he found a girl who was broken yet brave. Love blossomed only to be taken away.

Now a question arises what if Rohan continued his past sinful life would he be alive. Or rather giving up on the wrong path he although dead lives on in the heart of the ones he loved and who truly matter.
Although a wonderful life had come to an abrupt end it still inspired a lot of youngsters who went astray or would want to.
Rohan did not get a state funeral he died unsung yet he died fighting . A battle he had won long ago when he gave up his past life. How many of us have the courage to question or give up a life of luxury and power he did what not an ordinary man could do.
Nikita loved him more each an everyday as his past came to life day by day.
Nikita never knew he had so much fear lurking inside his heart , he very well knew that the day his past demons would resurrect his life would not be safe.
He feared for her so at first he tried not to disclose his feelings. But somehow their fates were entwined.
Nikita may have lost him but her love and respect she had for him increased day by day.
Misha fondly remembered him too maybe one day she would also grow up to love and respect him dearly. As although he was not his real father he did things for her only a father could do. Rohan too died a peaceful death he had a loving family and his conscience and integrity were alive.
Peace and happiness touched the three lives and not even death could snatch away their peace and memories from them. We may seem incomplete but sometimes it is better to be at peace .
Nikita is a successful officer her team is proud to have her. Misha has grown up to be a painter. Although she is striving hard to carve a niche for herself.
Even after nearly a decade of Rohan's death ,he lives on in their hearts as an angel who taught them love. A real life crusader.
Being right never fails. Life is short live it right.
So Misha now too dreams for a Rohan in her life.

By Ayesha Khan
▶ Show quoted text

© 2016 Ayesha Khan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on January 11, 2016
Last Updated on January 11, 2016
Tags: Love, death, friend

Author

Ayesha Khan
Ayesha Khan

Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India



About
Aspiring author, house wife , animal lover , love to read. more..

Writing