My Friend, Wind

My Friend, Wind

A Story by Dezaraye
"

Based on a true story.

"

Once upon a time, there was a young girl named McKenna.  She was a beautiful little girl with long blonde hair and bright blue eyes.  McKenna was as shy as she was beautiful.  Every morning, she went off to Summit Elementary School where she was in second grade.  Quietly, Mckenna hung up her backpack and slipped into her desk, unnoticed.

 

This happened day in and day out.  McKenna always watched sadly as the other little girls happily played house at recess, or laughing, climbed into a car together to play after school.  Her blue eyes pooled with tears every day as she watched from her place on the swing set.

 

Her mom always greeted her outside the school when it was time to go home and rolled her eyes once again to see McKenna slink out of the school near tears, no friends around her.

 

"McKenna, I wish you would stop being so shy," she chastised.

 

"I don't know what to say," she only looked up at her mother and went home to finish her homework.

 

This went on day after lonely day.  McKenna couldn't get up the courage to speak to any of the other children in her class, and none of them spoke to her.

 

One day, McKenna got out of bed only to see the trees swaying back and forth with the wind.  She quickly got ready for school, wrapped up in a cozy red jacket and set off.

 

The day went as it usually did for McKenna.  She slipped into her desk, did her work, and went out to play at recess.  Only, today, instead of going immediately to the swing set, her feet lead her towards the tall slide.  She slowly ascended the steps to await her turn.  As she reached the top, the wind swept up.

 

McKenna's hair lightly tickled her face as the wind caressed her.  Lifting her face towards the inviting breeze, McKenna smiled.

 

"Hi, wind.  Will you be my friend?" she whispered.

 

In answer, the wind tickled her face once more.  McKenna slid down the slide and began to play tag with the wind.  McKenna laughed and ran with her new friend for the remainder of recess.  As her teacher blew the whistle, McKenna whispered, "I'll see you after school, wind."

 

Her usually pale features had a rosy glow as she re-entered the building.

 

That afternoon, McKenna exited the building excitedly.

 

"Mom!  Guess what?"

 

"What, McKenna?"

 

"I made a new friend today," she jumped up and down.

 

Her mom actually smiled at her.  "Really, who?"

 

"The wind!"

 

Her mom only rolled her eyes and looked helplessly at McKenna.  She didn't utter a word.

 

That night, McKenna opened her window just a tad to allow the wind to come in for a tea party.  What a lovely tea party it was!  McKenna laughed at Wind's jokes, and Wind laughed at McKenna's jokes.

 

"Wind," McKenna asked, "Do you want to have a sleepover?"

 

"Of course," Wind responded.

 

So, that night, after McKenna's bath, she made up a bed on the floor for Wind and kept her window slightly ajar.  Wind sung McKenna a lovely lullaby as the small girl drifted off to sleep, and silently fell asleep herself.

 

The next day, McKenna awoke to a soft breeze and smiled.  Wind told her she couldn't stay for long that day, but that she would never be far away and would always come back.

 

McKenna completely understood.  It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

 

To this day, whenever McKenna feels the slightest of breezes, she smiles, for she knows, it is her very best friend, Wind, saying "hello."

 

The End

© 2010 Dezaraye


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I read this and thought - I remember this one because I loved the shy girl making friends with the wind. and now I know why. Because I did read it. Whew.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

add more it is so good i love it
good job
sarah

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can see this one as an illustrated children's book...beautiful message and wonderful writing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a blessing for a child! Never lonely, never forsaken, held and caressed and loved by the sympathetic wind. Lovely story.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
4 Reviews
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on October 20, 2010

Author

Dezaraye
Dezaraye

About
"As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will. You will have your heart broken probably more than once and it's harder every time. You'll br.. more..

Writing
Haunted Haunted

A Story by Dezaraye