Desire of the Soul Part Two

Desire of the Soul Part Two

A Story by S.L.B

Elena spent hours on end playing out in the snow with Elsie for the past few days she’d been at the strange house.  Several times she’s asked if the people would play hide-and-seek with her and if she could go home later that day, but she’s received the same response from the woman: no.  Each time she’d ask to leave the woman would seem to get more frustrated.  Oddly enough, the man never answered those questions; he’d just sit there quietly and not say anything.  For the most part, he just stayed on the couch and watched TV and other times he went outside to smooth the snow so it would look new for Elena to do her footprints in.

            “Uncle Rob!  Uncle Rob!  Look what I found!” Elena was standing on the deck, looking in through the screen door, with an icicle in her hands.  She had a big smile on her face when the man turned and looked at her.

            “That’s very cool…but why don’t you come inside for a little bit?  You’ve been out there for a while now.”
“Okay…” Elena set her icicle down and opened the door, Elsie beating her inside.  Since Elena had been there, the dog hadn’t left her side, and she’d stay with her at night, which was when Elena would use her as a pillow.  Even during bath time, Elsie was by her side.  The only reason she wouldn’t be there would be because she was dragged out to her pen, which had only been an issue one time.

            However, that one time made a world of difference.  It was her third day there and the woman had gotten annoyed with Elena always hiding behind her hat and, more recently, behind Elsie.  So the woman had her husband take the dog outside while she personally took Elena’s hat and put it on top of the fridge where Elena couldn’t reach it.  It wasn’t long after that, that Elena decided she wasn’t going to take a bath without Elsie there with her.  Her persistence remained strong, which the woman didn’t take very lightly to.  Now, every time Elena looked at herself in a mirror, she’d see that her right cheek was puffy and had a blue and black mark on it.  She didn’t understand why the woman put it there, but she knew that the man wasn’t happy about it and the woman wouldn’t stop saying ‘sorry’.

            “Elena, honey, can you come help mommy in the kitchen?” The woman poked her head around the corner with a smile.  She kept referring to herself as ‘mommy’ and Elena’s never argued.  Neither had the man she knew as ‘Uncle Rob’.  Until…

“You’re not my mommy.” It was a sentence meant to be innocent and obvious, but the instant Elena saw the woman’s smile disappear, she realized she said something wrong.

            “Don’t you say that!” The woman marched to Elena and grabbed her arms in a vice grip, looking her in the eyes. “Don’t you dare lie to me like that!” Her grip tightened, making Elena wince.

            Elsie stalked into the kitchen and gave the woman a low growl.  Her ears were pinned back and her teeth were starting to show themselves.  The woman let go of Elena’s arms and stood up.  Elena looked at her arms and noticed that the blue and black marks that were already there were now red around the edges.  Her arms hurt but she couldn’t say anything because the woman would just get upset with her.  Elsie managed to lick on of Elena’s arms before the woman grabbed Elena’s hand and pulled her into the living room, where the man was watching the news:

            “So far it’s been five days since the ab-” Before the lady on TV could finish, the woman snatched the remote and fumbled with it in her hands in search for the power button before turning it off.

❄❄❄❄

      Elena’s parents were pacing back and forth in the living room, her mother crying and her father muttering every possible thing he could think of that he wanted to happen to whoever took his little girl.  The house was filled with officers and other investigators who had been there since they day Elena went missing.  The only lead they had to go off of was the make and model of the black car �" information Mr. Beckham was able to pick up when he saw it, which the police were running through their databases.

            “It’s been five days, why haven’t you guys found anything?” Elena’s dad hadn’t slept for over a day and a half.  He’d been racking his brain for who would’ve taken her, but he came up with nothing.

            “We haven’t received any calls; no ransom or anything from possible spotting.  The people you’ve contacted don’t know anything, or at least haven’t come to us with any information.  They might be keeping her secluded so they don’t risk her being seen and recognized.” The officer in charge looked up from his partner’s computer.  They sent squad cars down the road to follow the tracks, a feat they thought would be easy, considering very few travel the back country roads.  However, the tracks turned down a road that led straight into town, obscuring the tracks they were following.

“Why would someone do this?” Elena’s mother sat on the couch and looked at all the cops in the room, asking the same question she’s been asking for days.

            “It all depends on the situation and who this person is.  Unfortunately, we won’t know until we find her.”

            “Well how are we supposed to find them?  You guys are just sitting around here and not letting us or yourselves do a damn thing!” Mr. Beckham slammed his fist on the table and glared at the cops.

            “Jack, your yelling isn’t helping,” Elena’s mother scolded, giving her husband a pleading look.

            “Mr. Beckham, the best we can do right now is to keep trying for leads and hope someone spots her or thinks they might’ve seen her.  Now, you guys said that she was talking to the person in the car before she got in, right?”

            “Yes,” Elena’s mother choked.  She was exhausted as well, having only gotten short naps whenever her husband made her go get rest.  Even then she barely slept.

            “Is that unusual for her?” A new officer, one that just showed up recently, jumped in.  He was young compared to the rest of them, but he looked just as professional.  Officer Perra, as he introduced himself.

            “Yeah, she usually won’t talk to any one she doesn’t know.” Mr. Beckham took over for his wife, moving to sit by her.  Officer Perra took a moment to think about that.

            “Mr. Beckham, have any of your friends ever made sure they talked to your daughter enough so she’d talk to them on her own?”

            Elena’s parents looked at each other as they thought about it.  It took a moment, but when the idea was there, it was in both of their heads as they looked up at the young officer.

❄❄❄❄

            Elena was sitting on the floor in the tiny hallway with Elsie while the man and his wife were talking in their bedroom.  The dog was closer to her than usual, crouching between her and the door.  The bond between Elsie and Elena had formed so much that now the woman could barely touch Elena without upsetting the dog.  She was the only thing Elena liked about the place, but she still wanted to leave; she didn’t’ want to be there anymore.

            “Marie, we have to take her back…Jack and Sara are good friends of mine.  I can’t continue to do this to them.” The man’s voice came through the door, into the hallway.  Elena didn’t really know what they were talking about, but she had heard her name a few times. “We never should’ve even started this.”

            “No, she’s staying here.  I need her to stay here, Rob.”

            “Imagine what they’re going through.  You should be able to relate; we lost our baby two months along.  You had two months to grow attached and you were devastated when we lost him.  Jack and Sara had four years.” His voice was started to get quieter. “She’s not our child.  She’s theirs.”

            “No!  She’s staying!  Elena is my daughter!”

            The door swung open and Elsie jumped to her feet just as the man stormed past them, the screen door opening and slamming shut.  Then all was silent.  Shortly after, the woman stepped out into the hall.  Elena cowered when the woman looked at her and started to shy away from the woman’s hand.  She looked very tired and upset, which is when Elena had learned not to do anything that would cause further harm.  Elsie, on the other hand, didn’t seem to care.  She jumped up and snapped at the woman’s hand, her teeth getting her just enough to leave small scratches.  Elsie’s ears were flat against her head, her hackles on end.  Her stance almost took up the entire width of the hall and there was no way anyone was going to get around her.  Each attempt the woman made was stopped.

Elena got to her feet and started backing down the hall, keeping her head bowed and eyes up.  The woman scared her and she didn’t want to be by her anymore.  With Elsie standing there, Elena could get away from the woman.  She knew if she got caught she’d be in trouble, so she’d have to hide.  As she turned and ran to the door, she could hear Elsie’s angry barking and the woman yelling at Elsie to move and for Elena to come back.  But Elena didn’t listen.  She made her way down the stairs as fast as her four-year old legs could take her and ran around to the back of the house.

            There were few trees and little brush, but the one spot Elena found had two trees and enough tall weeds close together to provide a hiding spot, so long as she crouched low.  For the most part, she blended in, her light clothes similar to the snow and her hair matched the tree bark.  She had her knees pulled to her chest, hiding her face in them.  Water soaked in through her clothes, freezing her all the way to the bone.  The air was numbing and still.  Silent.  Elena thought that maybe the woman calmed down and wasn’t mad anymore, considering she couldn’t hear anything.  That is, until Elsie started barking again.  It wasn’t anywhere near a pleasant sound, but soon enough it was stopped by the loudest sound Elena’s ever heard.  It reminded her of the loud noises her dad would cause every summer, only this time, there were no bright lights in the sky.  Elena put her hands over her ears and waited for the repeating sound to get quieter and quieter, until it was gone.

            “Daddy,” she whimpered. “I’m scared Daddy.” Elena was able to recall the day just before the car pulled up to take her, how one of the horses scared her and her dad told her that he wouldn’t let anything happen to her.  She was hoping it would be the same here; that he’d come and tell her nothing would happen to her.

            “It’s okay, sugar.” The woman’s weird voice made Elena look up and turn her body.  The woman was crouching in front of her with a strained, tired smiled.  She had dark circles under her eyes and her skin looked whiter. “C’mon darlin’, take mommy’s hand.”

            “You’re not my mommy…I don’t like it here and I don’t like you.  I want to go home to my mommy and daddy.” Elena slid back on her butt, trying to create more space between her and the woman, who now look really upset.  Tears welled up in Elena’s eyes and she started sniffling, but that didn’t faze the woman.  Instead, she raised her hand and brought it down with force.

❄❄❄❄

      The second the rusted blue truck pulled into the driveway, Officer Perra and Elena’s parents rushed outside, hoping for good news.  The truck belonged to Mr. Beckham’s ranch-hand, someone who had been working on the ranch for years.  He got out of the truck and walked around the front to meet them, wearing jeans and a sweatshirt with his work boots on.  Today, he looked uncharacteristically upset.

            “Hey Jack,” he sighed.  His skin was paler than usual and he looked like he hadn’t slept in days.
“Hey Rob, what’s going on?  Have you heard anything?” Elena’s mom placed her hand on his arm as she took in his exhausted features.  She could tell something was bothering him, which he hoped meant that he found something out.

            “I know where Elena is…” He looked away from Sara and glanced at Officer Perra, who was stepping towards him. “And I have a confession to make.”

            “What?  Where is she?”

            “She’s at my place.”

            “Y-You have her?” Elena’s mom dropped her hand and took a step back, covering her mouth.  She just stared at him, unable to say anything or think clearly.  Elena’s dad, on the other hand, had an easier reaction.  He sent his fist flying into Rob’s jaw, making Officer Perra step in and pull them away from each other.

            “Break it up.  There’s no time for this.  We have to go find your daughter.” He pushed Mr. Beckham back before alerting the other officer’s that they’ve got a location.

            Single-file, officers poured out of the house and ran to their cars.  Their given orders were to follow the man to his house, quickly, while the Beckhams drove with their dog.  Jack and Sara were excited although Sara was almost falling apart.  Her husband took her hand and gave it a light squeeze.  He looked in the back where their dog was standing close to the cab, panting.  After five long das, they were about to get their daughter back.

            There were four squad cars and two trucks packed in the tiny driveway, along with the black car Elena’s parents saw the day their daughter was taken.  Among the group was an ambulance as backup, which Rob was already putting it to use for his split lip he received from Jack’s punch.  He sat on the back, holding gauze to his mouth with his handcuffed hands.  Police lights were flashing as the officers analyzed the house.  A few were walking over towards the chain-linked pen that was on the side of the house, while two officers were walking out of it.

            “Oh my God…” Elena’s mom gasped as she watched the two officers carrying the dead body of a large, brown dog.  From where she stood, she couldn’t see what happened, but it left a lot of blood.

            A group of officers made their way into the house one after the other, their guns at point.  Officer Perra remained by the Beckhams, making sure they remained where they were.  It was getting colder and the sun was setting very quickly, yet time seemed to move slowly, each second taking an eternity to go by.  One officer came out, pushing a blonde haired woman in front of him, her hands cuffed behind her back.  She was dressed in jeans and an old shirt that was too big for her, and a pair of boots.  Her features resembled that of exhaustion, her face pale and eyes dark.  As she walked down the steps of the porch, she looked at Elena’s parents, no guilt or sign of any other emotion on her face.

            “Who is she?” Elena’s mom turned to Officer Perra.  She’d never seen the woman before, and neither had her husband.

            “Marie Ridd, age thirty-seven; Mr. Ridd’s wife,” another officer informed.  He was looking through a few notes he took while speaking with the man.

            “Rob was married?  Did you know that?” This time, Elena’s mom looked up at her husband, who looked just as confused.  He shook his head, looking at the ground with his brows knit together in thought.  Neither of them had received any notifications their friend was getting married and he’d never worn a ring.  Nothing.

“Mr. Ridd says his wife has been suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and had been diagnosed with mixed bipolar disorder almost two months ago not long after she had a miscarriage early on in her pregnancy.”

            The rest of the police that went inside came out, holstering their guns.  Neither of them had Elena, and when they looked at Officer Perra, they shook their heads.  However, one officer was carrying a purple stocking hat that he had found.  He carried it to Elena’s parents and handed it to Mrs. Beckham, who clutched it in her hands and continued crying.  It was the first time she’s seen the hat without Elena in the longest time, and now seeing it without being on her daughter’s head sent terror throughout her.

            “She’s not in the house,” Officer Perra said quietly. “She has to be around here somewhere, don’t worry.”

            “Don’t worry?  How can you even say that?  My daughter was taken and now that we found the place she’s been at, she’s missing!  How-”

            “Sara, calm down.” Her husband put his arms around her and pulled her away from the police. “Officer, you still think she’s hiding somewhere nearby?”

            “Yes sir.  We’ll search the perimeter immediately until we find her.”

            “Take Joey with you.” Mr. Beckham dropped the tailgate of his truck and let his dog down.  The dog sniffed the hat Elena’s mom was holding and started barking and jumping around.  Even he seemed to know Elena never goes anywhere without it. “Joey, where’s Elena?  Go find Elena.”

            The dog froze for a split second and stared at Elena’s dad before turning around and running off.  Officer Perra followed with another officer and two people from the ambulance.  Joey led them to the backyard, which was where he slowed down and sniffed around before darting towards a couple trees, barking.  The officers ran to where the dog was now standing and whining.

            “Oh dear God…” Officer Perra knelt down in the snow, next to the body of a little girl that was lying face down.  The EMTs with him helped roll her over, exposing the pale, wet face of Elena Beckham.  Blood and bruises covered her face, dirt and snow clinging to her clothes.  Her fingers and toes were still bright red but her lips were blue.  The dog lied down next to Elena’s body, nudging her tiny hand, while the EMTs tried to get signs of life started up.  Officer Perra turned to the other officer that was with them and cleared his throat. “Go secure the parents �" get a couple officers next to them.  I don’t want either of them running towards anyone when we bring her around front.  Also, make sure the ambulance is ready for departure.”

            “Yes sir.” The officer ran off without another word �" without another look back.  Perra turned his attention back to Elena’s body.  The scene was unchanged: the dog lying next to her, the EMTs still working…still no signs of life.

            It wasn’t long after that the EMTs stopped what they were doing and started to put their stuff away before getting to their feet.  They had grim expressions on their faces and they appeared t have been suddenly overwhelmed with exhaustion that wasn’t there a second ago.  Nothing had to be said to Perra �" he already knew what they were going to say.  His heart sank in his chest as he dismissed them to go back to the front.  He knelt down next to her and examined her body for a moment.  Elena was four years old…probably terrified with no idea what was going on, and this is how she ended up.  Probably spent her time wondering what she did wrong and why nobody was there to protect her, Perra thought.  He didn’t even know this girl, never met the family before in his life, and even he was devastated by her fate �" he couldn’t imagine what her parents were going to feel.

            Calmly, he picked up Elena’s body, cradling her, and started walking with her.  The Beckham’s dog walked at his side, keeping his head hung low and his tail tucked between his legs with no attempt to jump up to see Elena and no attempt to make any sound.  Even as they rounded the house’s corner, coming to the front yard, Joey remained at his side and didn’t even look ahead at his owners.  Officer Perra looked at Elena’s parents for a brief moment, and once eye contact was made, he hung his head and looked away, adjusting Elena’s limp body in his arms.  In that instant, he could hear Mrs. Beckham choke on hysterical sobs as her emotions and hope she had that her daughter would be found alive came crumbling down.  Out of the corner of his eye, Perra could see her trying to get free of the other officers’ embrace, as well as Mr. Beckham struggling to get out of three officers’ holds, yelling and cussing at the man who used to be a trusted friend.  Officer Perra just ignored their voices and walked past his men and up to the ambulance, where EMTs were soberly waiting.  He handed her to the first man at the ambulance and just watched as they loaded her into it, covering her small body with a sheet.  As they closed the doors, the Beckham’s dog sat down, threw his head back, and joined his owners in mourning.

❄❄❄❄

      Everyone in the Beckham family, and friends of the family, stood around the weeping angel tombstone set in place.  Each and every one of them was crying, Elena’s mom nearly crippled from her sobs.  The only thing her husband could think of doing was to hold her and cry.  He couldn’t stop looking at the tombstone that read:

Elena Mae Beckham

September 5, 2006 �" January 20, 2011

            The entire area was cleared of snow just for the occasion, which kept the newly placed yellow and white flowers dry on each side of the tombstone.  On either side of the flowers was one of Elena’s favorite stuffed animals, one a little black bear and the other an orange striped cat, and on the corner of the stone hung Elena’s hat.  In the middle there was a picture of Elena on her dad’s shoulders, her mom standing next to them and Joey jumping up trying to see Elena.

            The day was silent.  Not a bird or animal made a sound.  The only noise was that of everyone’s crying.  It was a dark, cloudy day, like the sun was too upset to even try and light the world up.  The air was dull, no crisp sting or wind as if it were giving everyone a break to grieve.  The pastor was gone, the ceremony long over, but no one thought about leaving.  They didn’t even realize it when a light drizzle formed, quickly evolving into a downpour.  Elena’s dad looked up at the sky and squinted as the rain hit his face and just watched as, alongside them, God wept.

© 2013 S.L.B


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on September 6, 2013
Last Updated on September 6, 2013

Author

S.L.B
S.L.B

Wausau, WI



About
I graduated high school a semester early and Spring of 2013 was my first semester of college. I used to play basketball (5th grade-Junior year of high school) but due to 3 concussions, knee surgery, .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by S.L.B


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by S.L.B


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by S.L.B