Origins Myth

Origins Myth

A Story by The Bard's Apprentice
"

Written in High School for a literature project.

"

 

            Once, long ago, there was only barren soil on the earth. However, in what is now called sky, there were two great nations of beings who lived upon the clouds. They were not at all peaceful and always fought. Their clashes would throw up sparks, some so great that they became lodged in the heavens above, where they continue to glow today.
            A war occurred which was so fierce that almost all the beings were killed. Only two girls were left alive. One was spiteful and mean, but one was good and caring. The spiteful one was never kind and often made the other cry. When that last war ended because no one was left to fight, the good girl became lonely and cried more than ever.
            Her tears fell to the ground continuously for many months. They trickled over the edge of the cloud to the earth below. So many tears fell upon the barren earth that great bodies of water began to form. As it became colder with the changing of the seasons, her tears froze into small hard pebbles as they fell. Some fell into the bodies of water and became all manner of fish. Some pebbles fell on the land that was left and became animals. Other pebbles melted just before hitting the earth and became birds. As time went on, the girl's crying slowed and softened, so that when the tears reached the earth they were powdery soft. These tears became people. As the tears slowed even more, only a light mist fell which became trees and plants.
By the time the girl saw what her tears had become the earth was no longer barren, but teaming with life. She was no longer lonely. The new creation below her filled her with such joy that she didn't cry when the spiteful girl was unkind to her anymore. This made the spiteful girl unhappy. She would stomp around on the clouds, causing a commotion of great noise and light below. The noise and light frightened the creatures. The kind girl was saddened by this because she cared for the things she had made. She would begin to cry again. Because these tears were fewer than before, though, they stayed as water. When it was cool, they fell as the small, hard pebbles. When it was cold, they fell as the light, powdery crystals. Sometimes, when it was warm, they would fall as mist.
            The people who looked up at the night sky at just the right moment would see the kind girl's round, white, glowing face as she peaked over the edge of the cloud.
            They called her "Great Mother." The sparks that remained in the sky from the great wars always served as a reminder to them not to fight amongst themselves. And they lived happily.     

© 2008 The Bard's Apprentice


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

The Bard's Apprentice
Feel free to write continuations of this --for the sun/clouds/earth itself, etc.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am a little pushed for time but am reading myth related stories and this was a delight to read.

I am trying to write a very short, contemporary version of the basic Medusa myth, which is why I'm reading these types of stories. Sorry I don't have the time to say much more but I didn't want to read it and not acknowledge you.

Regards,
Matt

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was very beautiful and puts my myth of creation to shame.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

If I had this kind of imagination, I would write a continuance for it! But, alas, I do not.

This is very beautiful and absolutely adorable. Great write! I think I will capture this and put it in my Favorites. Thanks for writing this. I truly enjoyed reading it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 10, 2008

Author

The Bard's Apprentice
The Bard's Apprentice

FL



About
i've always been interested in written culture -well, culture of any kind. i am now an undergrad as USF studying Anthropology. but the Theatre was my first true love. i've been through multiple evolut.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Home Home

A Story by Dawn Jones


words. words.

A Poem by Haden