A Social Disease

A Social Disease

A Poem by Paden Haynes
"

My top reviewed pice of poetry, and one of my favorites. Based on a discussion I once had with an old friend.

"

His eyes met mine
Proverbially, across space crowded with faces
(I saw his hunger)
     And in that somewhat handsome face,
The eyes traveled down.
     And his lips parted slowly,
As though kissing me, or
     Drawing in smoke.

He reconciled the difference,
Did the other sexual math:
no tits=no puss+broad shoulders+painted face=f*g
     And those lips sealed tight.
Offended testosterone rose, engulfed,
     Poisoned the brain.
Out came the word:

"F****t!"

Why?

All excuses aside,
     You saw me,
And wanted something of me,
     until you saw that you could (would)
get
it.

Homophobia
is
offense
at
seeing
one's
own
lusts
Reciprocated.
 

© 2008 Paden Haynes


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have no time for people who judge, they usually live in houses of glass and should know better. I love this poem, it expresses the hypocrisy and prejudice still lurking in our "so called" progressive society. Having said all that I truly believe it is what's inside that counts and try as we might we all make snap decisions about other people until we get to know them. It is something I try hard to avoid although occasionally I falter, but I never judge anyone on appearence alone, and I find people who do shallow and abhorrent.

An excellent poem, filled with passion and perception. Very well done indeed!

Posted 16 Years Ago


17 of 17 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A great piece--I'm glad Faerie Whisper introduced me to this piece.

I like this part: "no tits=no puss+broad shoulders+painted face=f*g" because so many homophobes think in "black and white terms." They think of the world and people like a math equation, and don't realze people are human, have feelings, have desires, etc. that may not match theirs exactly. They have an irrational fear of it, but have no desire to learn about the gay community to understand. They just judge, using the math formula you used in your piece.

Nice work!

Posted 16 Years Ago


17 of 17 people found this review constructive.

I have never experienced homophobia, so I cannot relate to the reasons that you have posited.

I do like the poem and its message.

Thanks to Faerie Whisper for sending this to me.

JBD

Posted 16 Years Ago


17 of 17 people found this review constructive.

Definitely a social disease. This is raw and straight to the point, and I agree. I can't stand those who judge and we all know that inside the desires are there. They may choose not to act upon it and that is their choice. But don't condemn others for feeling free enough to act upon it.

The eyes traveled down.
And his lips parted slowly,
As though kissing me, or
Drawing in smoke.

This is going straight into my favorites.

Cheers,
Stacy :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


17 of 17 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this very much. I was reading the other reviews and I agree with what Polly said people should know better.

Posted 16 Years Ago


16 of 17 people found this review constructive.

oh, yeah, heheheh- was affraid of his own desires and we all know humans tend to destroy that which they fear.

very awesome! bravo!!!



Posted 16 Years Ago


16 of 17 people found this review constructive.

I have no time for people who judge, they usually live in houses of glass and should know better. I love this poem, it expresses the hypocrisy and prejudice still lurking in our "so called" progressive society. Having said all that I truly believe it is what's inside that counts and try as we might we all make snap decisions about other people until we get to know them. It is something I try hard to avoid although occasionally I falter, but I never judge anyone on appearence alone, and I find people who do shallow and abhorrent.

An excellent poem, filled with passion and perception. Very well done indeed!

Posted 16 Years Ago


17 of 17 people found this review constructive.

Concise, to the point, brilliant! .... You know, I have a number of really good friends who are gay (bothe men and women) ... The lesbian women (is that still PC? In German it is.) ocasionally have all-girl parties (heteros and gays together) and they are always such a blast ... immense fun! a gals party. period. but I�ve been asked a number of times by my male (hetero) friends whether that was never awkward ... and I just laughed. It struck me then that such an all-male party (with gays and heteros) would not be possible - homophobia!!!!!

guess that�s why there is no such thing as - what - femmo-phobia ....LOL, xxx

Posted 16 Years Ago


18 of 18 people found this review constructive.

Very, very, very well done!
i love it.
it's such a short poem yet you mange to get across so much! And it really is true, i feel that is the most common reason people are homophobic. i love the imagery details that you used in the beginning of the poem, they were very vivid. this poem is essentially about homophobes, yet there is this delicious underlying sexual tension through out the poem.

Posted 16 Years Ago


18 of 19 people found this review constructive.

I agree with Faerie Whisper. That was a good write and the essence was captured perfectly. Having gay friends, I know how hard it is for them these days. Its a cruel world.

Posted 16 Years Ago


17 of 19 people found this review constructive.

[color=indigo]
outstanding insight!!! you've captured the essence of homophobia perfectly!

i love how you introduced the subject matter in a flash short story within a poem as well!

this is going in my fav list to throw at any homophobes who come my way in the future! :) i run into them quite often. being born inter-sexed, men will see me and start flirting, etc. when they find out i'm not a gg (genetic girl) they immediately flip out knowing they were turned on by me and then comes the hatred, hearing "f****t" thrown in my face. i have some of my pics in photo's on my profile.

i'm also sending a link to your poem to a few of my friends who i'm sure will agree that this is a brilliant piece! :)

well done!

faerie blessings...
[/color]

Posted 16 Years Ago


20 of 20 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

858 Views
53 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2008

Author

Paden Haynes
Paden Haynes

About
Where to begin? Do I begin with the adventures of homeschooling, the thrill of being brought up fundamentalist pentacostal and survivalist? Adventures in the woods? My sudden thrust into the world .. more..

Writing
Mephisto Mephisto

A Chapter by Paden Haynes


Remembering Remembering

A Chapter by Paden Haynes



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..