The Mask

The Mask

A Story by Immortal

There was once a boy. He was kind and caring and harbored no animosity towards anyone. He always forgave. He understood that people make mistakes, and that no one was perfect. But because he was so nice, people took advantage of his kindness. They would play many tricks and deceptions upon him, knowing that he would always forgive.
No one knew that the boy knew everything, had studied everyone around him. He knew how people were. He memorized their flaws, and still forgave them. He would wear a mask around others, always smiling and cunning. Seemingly gullible and easily decieved, no one knew that they were all falling to the greatest deceit of all. Confidence had taken them, believing that they knew this boy inside and out. But the boy's mask was strong and secure, letting no one in.
The boy was proud of this. His mask let him view others from a detached perspective, always watching and analyzing. No one could see through the haze of optimism. He was always there. Sometimes he would talk. No one would ever listen.  From beneath his mask, the boy grew tired and weary of the constant pounding of narcissists, pessimists, and the horrid creatures man had become. They punched and squabbled over small issues. They put others feelings and physical beings below them, as to keep their false sense of pride.

But one day a crack formed. The boys mask began to break and shatter, creating a deformed variant of the mask everyone knew. The people saw the boy's shattered mask, and through it, what the boy tried to hide. He remained silent, because as different as he was, no one cared. And so he watched once more.

© 2010 Immortal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this. "They put others feelings and physical beings below them, as to keep their false sense of pride." So realistic, and so true

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Seemingly gullible and easily decieved, no one knew that they were all falling to the greatest deceit of all."
That's a great line! This story is very powerful and I really enjoyed reading it

Posted 13 Years Ago


good write. kinda what all my stories r about.

Posted 13 Years Ago


good, clear and crisp style. there is a sincerity and it just plain is a good story to read and is interesting to read. thanks raining

Posted 13 Years Ago


That's a good story,
a boy wearing a mask, that reflect the world now, never tell others it's real emotion.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 19, 2010
Last Updated on August 19, 2010

Author

Immortal
Immortal

Haiku, HI



About
Im a musician/not-really-writer who has pipe dreams of everything. Im optimistic about almost every aspect of life and I appreciate a lot. My guitar is my life but so is my voice, couldn't live withou.. more..

Writing
Lightlock Lightlock

A Book by Immortal