Life of a River

Life of a River

A Story by Esmeralda Petronova
"

River is immortal, it is ever going ever flowing. It never stops, never rests but once in a while it takes a peak at the lives of mortals.

"
Life of a River

I am a river, vast and mighty. I stronger than rocks and older than tales. I was born in a cold cold place that I have long forgotten and my journey is endless. I pass by forests, mountains and valleys. I see trees, rocks and occasionally people.

People, I guess that is what they are called. They are the most unique creature I have ever seen. Each one different from the other. I have never seen the same person twice, I used to wonder why.

Then one day I decided to ask my friend, the wind, about them. The wind got sad at the question and sighed.

"My friend, you and I are different from them. We roam the earth at our leisure with no hurry or worry. Whereas they... their life is short and they hold far too responsibilities, they are mortal unlike us" the wind said.

Those words struck me unlike anything before. It never appeared to me that they were mortals, cause they seemed happy. Way happier than immortals like me and the wind. I wondered why were they so happy knowing that they were going to die.

Once I was passing a small village, a meek old man was sitting by my banks. He was very thin and frail but had a serene smile on his face.

I couldn't help but ask, "why are you smiling? Don't you know that you are going to die?"

He seemed startled for a second but then calmed down.

"Oh mighty immortal river, I smile because of the magic we, mortals, possess." He said.

"What magic?" I inquired 

"Magic of knowing that one day we are going to die. This makes each second, each minute and every hour of a day more precious. The fact that we can die at any moment encourages us to live to the fullest and smile as if we are the happiest." He explained kindly.

I didn't reply, I couldn't. I didn't understand what he meant, I suppose that was a feeling associated with mortals only. But one day I would definitely like to experience it. Live a moment to the maximum, believing that it might just be the last one I have.

© 2018 Esmeralda Petronova


Author's Note

Esmeralda Petronova
This was my first try, so this far from perfect. Please bear with me and ignore the mistakes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on May 2, 2018
Last Updated on May 2, 2018
Tags: Life, river, mortal, immortal

Author

Esmeralda Petronova
Esmeralda Petronova

Kolkata, India



About
Just a regular girl who loves literature. Books are my best friends. more..