Last Aria

Last Aria

A Story by Rebecca Leigh
"

Just some free writing, Im not sure if the direction I have planned for this story, but it does feel good to write

"
The sound was tantalizing. The languid crescendos swung out as if decending from the heavens. Beneath the light stood a figure. Light glowed brightly from the center. The Angelic figure swayed, as the audience remained still and silent. Pie jesu reverberates against the walls and filters into each ear. Every note was as clear as the next.  In the back row of the theater floor, sat a stranger. She was different from the other members sitting enchanted by the music. She looked straight at the vision singing onstage, as if she were looking straight through her.midway through the performance, she stood up from her seat, remained staring for several moments then disappeared from the auditorium.The show ended and five minutes later, the audience begins too cheer, awakening from the trance. Emily Tanjers went to her dressing room, back behind the stage. draped in a chair within her dressing room, was the stranger. Emily, a bit startled to see anyone there, asked who she was. The stranger smiled, and flicked a card towards her. She took the card and read:

                                 Kate Norris
                        Talent Agent Siren Records
                        1402 W. Main St, New York

The Stranger cleared her throat. "I have heard a great deal about your voice, My brother in law saw one of your performances when he was on a business trip, and could not stop raving about you, I just had to see what all the fuss was about." She gestured grandiosely, slowly pacing around the room.

"Oh, it is very nice to meet you, did you like the show?" She smiled expectantly awaiting her response.

"I was not disappointed," She smiled a crooked smirk. She fanned her hand across the hanging costumes and dresses nearby, and looked away from Emily.

"How long have you been singing?" she turned back to the girl, making her feel somewhat anxious and intimidated.

"Ever since I can remember... My family is very musical. I am sorry, but why exactly are you here?" a look of confusion escapes her gaze.

The agent formally thought of as the stranger, returned to the chair crossing her legs and resting her arms, like an evil queen from a fairytale. "I have an offer for you. I work for a record label that, well, records pop, Its mainstream crap, to be honest. I am trying to get more mature sounds on this label, and I would like to sign you, what do you say?"

Rendered speechless, Emily blinked her eyes with shock, and tried to say something, only stuttered sounds emit. finally, she turns to the agent, and sat on a nearby makeup stool.

"I have never thought of being famous," She confessed aloud. " I wouldn't know how to start."

"That is my job." Kate retorted, with a smile, "just imagine girls of all ages looking to you as their role-model. The very image of what they want to be when they grow up. I wont lie this job takes work, but with the right wardrobe-hair- and makeup, your wonderful voice- and my network connections, you will be a sensation."

Emily still was in shock over the generous offer, But Kate's words were sinking in, she began to picture herself attending music parties, and running charities for kids, empowering young girls all over. The thought of being famous, took over her thoughts.

"Well, What do you say?" Kate's smile widened

" Okay, do I have to sign a contract? Let's make this final"

"Yes you need to sign a five year contract I will have drawn up, you can have your lawyers look over, and then we will make a demo-recording." she gave her a half almost touching hug, then continued. "after the demo, we will begin scheduling concerts, however there is one thing you absolutely must do before anything."

"Whats that?"

"Promise me you will do everything I say... I know this business inside and out, I just want for you to have success. But you must do everything I tell you."

She felt extremely reluctant in her stomach, but before she could stop herself, she heard her voice answer "yes."


        ~~~~~~~

Two Weeks Later...

The Plane ride was long, but restful. Emily never rode first class before, and although she was relaxed and excited, she also had a looming feeling she belonged in coach. In the seat right next to her's slept Kate. She was glamorous and beautiful even while sleeping. Emily could not wait to land in New York. She had made a list of all the things she wanted to do when she wasn't working, like take a walk in Central park go to Rockefeller Center. Most of all she wanted to take pictures of everything, so when she visited home she could tell her family all about her adventures.

 The flight arrived In the La Guardia runway, at gate 7. Emily was squirming before the plane stopped. Lunging up, she was tugged back to her seat by none other than her formerly sleeping, agent. Kate quietly said, "wait," still grasping Emily's arm. Feeling intimidated and a bit bashful, Emily tried to stifle her excitement, and control her behavior in a calmer manner. As rows of passengers disappeared one after the next, the row directly in from of them stood up in unison. Kate let go of Emily and informed her the could stand up as soon as the last traveler in that row exited the section. Grabbing the little luggage they had they deplaned, they walked through the long grey tunnel-like hallway and passed the flight attendant welcoming them in a very unenthusiastic tone to New York. Immediately Emily could sense the change all around, as if sifting through the air. She felt the rush everyone rumored of the big apple. It was a tad overwhelming, but she could not wait to be apart of the race.

Kate pointed to a sign and began speed-walking in that direction, Emily heeled a few feet behind. She didn't know how someone standing at 5' 2 could walk so fast, but she worked to keep up as much as possible. Wanting to know where they were going, Emily asked Kate, "where are we going?" Kate stops abruptly, and with a look of pure annoyance, she rolled her eyes and with a low sinister voice answered, " I checked a bag, OKAY?!" She then quickened her pace.

The conveyer belt revealed bags of all shapes, pushing them forward in tumultous shoves, There was one that was stuck and blocking the flap for more suitcases. Kate, growing more annoyed by the second stormed over to the help desk pushing past the line of people most likely with the same issues, and slammed her open palm on the desk. Emily stood a few feet behind, confused by her agents behavior and embarrassed by how she was reacting.




© 2015 Rebecca Leigh


Author's Note

Rebecca Leigh
Please feel free to read, comment and review... :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well free writing is the best kind. When one doesn't have direction in writing, magic sometimes happens. :)
This was a great read. I thought it flowed really well and the set up was well done.
Great job!! :)

-Mila

Posted 9 Years Ago


Rebecca Leigh

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind review:) I was not sure about this one, But it did feel good just to write.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Added on December 28, 2014
Last Updated on May 17, 2015

Author

Rebecca Leigh
Rebecca Leigh

Chicago, IL



About
I live writing... it's always been my passion. more..

Writing