Samuel and Sparks

Samuel and Sparks

A Story by Bella-Marie
"

A story made to move.

"

Screaming, Samuel tore through the living room, sprinted past the kitchen, sped down the hall and landed with a dull thump on his bed. The clomping of his Mother's high heels made his smile droop to a frown. She appeared in the doorway, face stern.

'Samuel,' she said sharply, 'What have I said about Chocolate?'

Samuel haistily wiped his mouth with his sleeve, but it was in vain - his Mother had seen the brown smears.

She gave a theatrical sigh. 'Let's take Sparks for a walk,' she said, rolling her perfectly outlined eyes and leaving Samuel's room, her exspensive suit rustling as she walked off.

'Sparks!' Samuel called, 'Sparky Sparks!'

Sparks powered through, jumping onto Samuel's bed and licking Samuel's face repeatedly. Samuel dug the dog lead from his pocket and fastened it to Sparks's collar. Sparks jumped and barked with ecasy.

Samuel lead Sparks through the house to the front door, where his Mother was smoking a cigarette and puffing smoke rings. Samuel gave his Mother a stern look.

'Smoking is bad for you,' Samuel scolded.

His Mother sighed heavily again, throwing the cigarette stub into a potted plant near the door. 'That school is putting ideas into your heads,' she said savagely, 'I should take you out!'

Samuel shook his head. He loved school. He had only been there a month, but it was the best thing that had ever graced his life.

His Mother snatched Sparks's lead from Samuel, and they set off, Sparks barking and panting, tail wagging crazily, Samuel scuffing his shoes and whining for a turn with Sparks.

Finally, his Mother weaned. She placed the lead firmly in her son's tiny hand, and said 'Be off with you,' in a hard, colourless tone. She took a cigarette and a lighter from her pocket, whistling through her blood-red lips. Samuel crouched down next to Sparks, ten metres from his Mother. Hugging his dog, Samuel decided to be naughty and run with Sparks - if Samuel fell over, his pristine clothes may get spolied. The dog seemed to know what Samuel had decided to do - he was tugging and squealing with excitement.

Sparks ran as soon as Samuel stood up. They raced down the footpath, leaving Samuel's Mother far behind them. She didn't call for Samuel. She simply watched him go, muttering 'Good riddance,' several times between puffs.

Then, she heard the screech of breaks, a long, high-pitched scream and a final 'Woof'. She ran to the scene, and saw the two small bodies lying still on the road. Then she felt their lives float away.

© 2009 Bella-Marie


Author's Note

Bella-Marie
This is for part of a competition.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
Added on July 20, 2009

Author

Bella-Marie
Bella-Marie

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
See that picture? Yeah, the profile picture of me. Yeah, yeah, that one! Well, that's my cat, I know! She's so cute, eh! I love my cat, she's the bomb. No, you're cat can't me as good as mine... maybe.. more..

Writing