Reminicing before the Excitement

Reminicing before the Excitement

A Story by Bella-Marie
"

This is a half-true tale, a very important but sad part of my life for a bit...

"
I push the play botton gingerly, not wanting to damage the precious tape. It slowly starts, crackling and skrieking to life. A sweet, gentle voice fills the room.
"Hey Bella! It's your Mummy talking. How are you, bubs? Good? I hope you are. Me and Jake and baby Leisha are fine too. We all miss you like crazy here in Tonga. Cousin Naveya misses you too.
"We can't wait for you to come to Tonga to see us in July! It's your birthday then, too, so we'll have a really big party, okay? I love like crazy, I can't wait for you to come back in the holidays." Mum's voice cracks as she says this. "I miss you everyday sweetie, I'm always thinking of you. Every day. I love you heaps and heaps, right to the edge of the universe and back infinity times." She gives a little sob but clears her throat and sounds a bit more composed when she next speaks. "Leisha's going to say something into the microphone now, okay Bells? Here we go!"
I turn up the volume, tears in my eyes, and listen to my little sister coo and gurgle for a few minutes before starting to cry. Mum takes the microphone off her and begins talking again.
"Bye Bye sweetie, can't wait to see you like I said. Say hi to your Dad and Maria for me. I love you heaps." She starts to cry audibly. "We've recorded about five Tongan songs that you like, okay bubs? Bye lovie. Love you heaaaps."

Her voice stops, and soon a relaxing Tongan lullaby is playing. I wipe my eyes, stop the tape and place it in my carry-on luggage. I scoot through the house, to the car and wait for Dad to lock up the house. In no time at all, we're on the road, heading for the airport.

*

I step out of the Customs gate and into the Arrivals room...
"Mum!"
"Bella!"
"Bawa..."

© 2010 Bella-Marie


Author's Note

Bella-Marie
Do you get it? This sort of happened, but the tape was just my sister and the songs, and my Mum didn't live in Tonga, it was a different island somewhere around there! I had a little cry writing this, reminicing... Mum lives close to home now (thankfully!) but it still makes me really sad.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That's sad but happy i don't know why you think it's just a sad story.

Beautiful piece of writing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I understand. I have nothing to really say, but thank you for sharing such a personal piece. I like the last line where your sister says "Bawa". I kind of chuckled.

Your parents go through a divorce or something because that's what I'm comprehending?

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 1, 2010
Last Updated on May 1, 2010

Author

Bella-Marie
Bella-Marie

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand



About
See that picture? Yeah, the profile picture of me. Yeah, yeah, that one! Well, that's my cat, I know! She's so cute, eh! I love my cat, she's the bomb. No, you're cat can't me as good as mine... maybe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Sinner The Sinner

A Story by Bella-Marie