Through the Jungle to Paradise

Through the Jungle to Paradise

A Story by BelleMell
"

Just a short adventure I endured and the beauty I accomplished at the end.

"

   I knew spending the winter in Maui would bring me adventure, but I might have gotten more than I bargained for once I stepped off the plane. Being a photographer and a lover of nature, I readied my camera at my side to capture anything and everything that might present itself. My hosts were very gracious and more than willing to show me a wonderful time on the island. So, when I expressed my desire to get a few photos of the Haleakala volcano for my portfolio, these native pioneers knew exactly where to take me. However, they had no idea what affect it would have on my goal of becoming a nature photographer. The dangerous and miserable journey they dragged me on could not prepare me for the beauty that awaited us at the top of the 2,000 foot volcanic waterfall.

     All volcanoes are dangerous, I didn’t need to be a geologist to figure that out. Even though Haleakala has only erupted three times in the past 900 years, it felt unnatural to climb it. Once we got to the mountain I figured there would be a tourist trail or a sight-seeing path to take our time on, but that was far from what my guides had in mind. To my surprise, we began simply walking up the side of the mountain. The moss covered rocks and mud splattered cliffs, which we had to sludge upward on, were less than stable. With every step I took, leaning forward so as not to roll backward, I held my expensive Nikon 85 mm camera above my head, throwing off my balance. As if the trek itself wasn’t difficult enough, we soon came across a bamboo forest, covering the massive base of the volcano. With every breath of wind that swayed the entire forest, we were forced to bend between the thinly separated bamboo limbs, all while keeping our feet firmly squished in the slippery slope. I wanted to trust my new friends, but every step we took came with more risk and less stability. I had been unwillingly dragged across my comfort zone.

     I enjoy a challenge as much as the next photographer, but once the horizontal rain kicked in my enthusiasm was lost. Grabbing a hold of something to steady myself was useless. What trees there were, were rooted in moss, sending me and the tree tipping over at the slightest tug. Vines began to spread across the pathway, creating a 007 scenario, in which we had to loop, bend, and duck our way through half a mile of vertical mazes, camera still in hand. My gracious guides were constantly three or four steps ahead of me, disturbing every last mosquito and pest thriving in the forest, leaving me as their only source of prey as I trudged along, hot, wet, itchy, anxious, and un-amused. There must be a good reason they’re taking me through all of this, I thought. Despite my misery, I bit my tongue the rest of the way and attempted to remain optimistic.

    After three miles of anxiety, the fog began to lift from the mountain, and the entire island became visible underneath us. Everywhere I glanced there was a photo opportunity. Beauty surrounded us in the purest form of nature, the type of tranquility that only the bravest of explorers are worthy of viewing. “The waterfall is just around the corner!” I heard my guide shout. As I prepared my camera for the grandest of photo-shoots, turning the corner, I was in awe. We stood at the top of the waterfall, starring down at 2,000 feet of accomplishment. After snapping one quick picture of the scene, I set my camera down in a safe spot. Then, I took off my hiking gear and slipped down into the still water pool that floated just at the edge of the waterfall. This victory was too sweet to spend it behind the lens of a camera. With that first dip into the water and a glass of pineapple wine in my hand, all of the dirt, sweat, and misery washed away.

      I knew it would be difficult, and I was assured the finish line would be worth the journey but, I was not prepared for the extremity of either. Feeling as if one wrong move up the mountain could be fatal, and the end of every obstacle being met with an even worse challenge, I wanted to turn around and hop on a plane back to Texas, however the end result was sweeter than the pineapple wine I was now sipping. This was my own odyssey, as I learned to await the beauty at the end of every struggle.

© 2014 BelleMell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nicely written. From struggle to a romantic end. What more could one ask. Life can always be a wonderful adventure if you let it. I spent many years going everywhere I could get to, taking every photograph possible and turning the adventures into stories. I love this piece. Stay excited about life and living it to the fullest.

Posted 10 Years Ago


BelleMell

10 Years Ago

Hey! Thanks W. Marsh, for your review. I'm glad to see that you felt the adventure I was put through.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 4, 2014
Last Updated on January 4, 2014
Tags: travel, journey, maui, hawaii, adventure, volcano

Author

BelleMell
BelleMell

About
" You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough for me."- C.S. Lewis C.S. Lewis is my absolute favorite author, if not for his undeniable writing skills for audiences of all levels, but.. more..

Writing
Wallflower Wallflower

A Poem by BelleMell