The Wolf

The Wolf

A Story by Sadie Cahill
"

The feeling of insomnia, of running away from a stuffy cage, knowing that we will never escape a predator that lurks in the dark.

"

 

The distant wailing of an ambulance. The light of the buildings in the dark night. The air was cold, the drink I’m drinking is also cold, but it warms my body.


I sip my beverage and stare of into the night. Warm wind blows from the highway below me. It’s pretty bright, lit by open stores and lamps. What a restless city.


Jittery, I finish my beverage and toss it to a nearby garbage bin. It clangs at it hits other empty cans. The road below the building is empty, it was a quiet neighbor hood.


Perhaps I was drunk on my drink but my environment became dreamlike. I finish the pile of cans, and wearily, I return to my bed.


My room was a tiny room, hot, musty, stuffy. I was the only person living in it, and I’m glad to be away from it. I lay my head on my bed. The walls seem to be closing down on me. Orange light flitting down from shades that block my window.


Attempts to sleep became futile, and I restlessly tossed and turned. In the end, I decided to clear my mind, perhaps not by walking but by driving. Grabbing my motorcycle keys, I lock my apartment and took my motor, it’s purr calming my frayed nerves as I start its engine.


I ride into the night.


Though the city was mostly buildings here and there, there were also long stretches of roads. Lonely roads, that ran along scenic views. I rode on one of those roads now, on my motorcycle, speeding up, cold sea wind blowing my hair back and waking my face up.


It was one of those times when I fall into a mood. I would drive my bike until it runs out of gasoline and walk with it back until I once again find a gasoline station. I sped up along these long blank roads, as if running away from some dark entity.


I stop at the edge of the beach. It wasn’t that my gasoline tank was empty, it was that I was simply tired. My mind felt clear, and my breaths, ragged and deep.


The sky was now a dark indigo, but it was surely morning. I sat there, on the edge of the road, sitting on the railing, gazing at the sandy beach. A growl catches my attention and I turn around.


The thing that seemed to be like a shadow watching me, was nothing but an illusion to the eyes. I turn around, shaking myself, waking myself up, slapping my frostbitten cheeks.


I could’ve sworn it was a wolf.

© 2017 Sadie Cahill


Author's Note

Sadie Cahill
Perhaps a final story for today. Something that sparked my inspiration from a music that I have heard, wandering to and fro from youtube. For now, it's not Wintergatan but Siames. Going with the same title as the song. The song gave me the impression of a city during the night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX44CAz-JhU

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

AAAHHH...the creepies. This brief story has good content, there are some "wording" issues:
"and stare of into the" : and stare off into the...
"I was the only person living in it, and I’m glad to be away from it" When the next sentence describes laying your head down it is confusing - are you in a different room, or you haven't left yet. In any case, these did not detract from the overall piece and I enjoyed reading this.


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I really liked it. A very romantic description of the lifestyle of a soul. Do you know what I mean?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

AAAHHH...the creepies. This brief story has good content, there are some "wording" issues:
"and stare of into the" : and stare off into the...
"I was the only person living in it, and I’m glad to be away from it" When the next sentence describes laying your head down it is confusing - are you in a different room, or you haven't left yet. In any case, these did not detract from the overall piece and I enjoyed reading this.


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First let me say that I thought you put a lot of heart in it, however for me, it was choppy and a little disoriented, I felt like I was on a bumpy ride. Also I found a few misspelled words.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amber

6 Years Ago

It's okay, I understand being pressed for time, I'm am in school as well. This was all new to me, I .. read more
Sadie Cahill

6 Years Ago

Thank you.. I'd agree with the help, at least, two minds are better than one, am I right?
Amber

6 Years Ago

I would agree with that.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2017
Last Updated on July 10, 2017
Tags: Short Story, Fiction, Flash Fiction, Siames, The Wolf, Wolf

Author

Sadie Cahill
Sadie Cahill

Manila, Luzon, Philippines



About
An easygoing person. Would write anything that comes to mind and anything that would. more..

Writing
Lastly Lastly

A Story by Sadie Cahill


Demise Demise

A Poem by Sadie Cahill