Nameless World

Nameless World

A Story by Sadie Cahill
"

Empty towns, barren roads, when our character allowed a stranger in his car and decided to bring him to his destination, his fate had been sealed from the start.

"

“Oi, what’s wrong?”


“Oh, uh… sorry,” I avert my gaze. I lower the window of my car and stare back at the hitchhiker. He was a thin man, his body frail and seemed malnourished. His red t-shirt hung loose around his torso.


“Where you goin’?” I ask the man.


“Hard to say, somewhere around south,” The man says. I notice that on his bag is a huge overstuffed backpack. “Mind if I take a ride?”


I nod. “Sure, hop in.”


The hitchhiker nod at my direction. I gesture at the backdoor and he strolls towards it and opens it. Throwing himself down at the backseat, he hands me a piece of paper, that which I see is a map.


The map was worn out, probably used too often. A red line indicated the route that I was to take. Strangely, the red line ends in the middle of nowhere. I point at it and asked the hitchhiker if this is where it’ll end.


He shrugs. “Just go there, I’ll know where I’ll go when I got there.”


I grunt, and turned to the wheel, starting the car back on. Luckily, his destination is just in the general direction from where I was going.  The only thing is the detour in the middle of a desert.


The map was a simple map. Yet as I looked from it from time to time it seems to be changing. Some avenues disappearing, the red line winding across the route, dancing like a snake.


I look at the man using my rearview mirror. He stares back at me through his eyes. What were normal eyes slowly turned into empty diluted eyes. Disturbed, I turned back to the wheel and see that we are already in a blank road. Long stretches of plains rolling as we pass by.


I look at the map. I was sure it was a small town last I checked. I only took my eyes off of the road for a few minutes why…?


Hands stretched out from behind me and held me by the neck. Distracted, I choked, taking my hands from the wheel and struggled to get out from grip. I heard myself shout, closing my eyes in pain.


The grip loosened, a loud sound was ringing in my ears. My eyes open and see the front of a truck.

The last thing that I saw.

© 2017 Sadie Cahill


Author's Note

Sadie Cahill
Honestly, I barely even see the connection between the title and the song, but I kinda felt that it was like that. And to be honest, I let myself be affected with the music video. The ending was abrupt too, in my opinion. Feel free to voice out opinions on the story. Also, feel free to listen to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI2fCaZdidc

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
Added on July 13, 2017
Last Updated on July 13, 2017
Tags: Fiction, Short Story

Author

Sadie Cahill
Sadie Cahill

Manila, Luzon, Philippines



About
An easygoing person. Would write anything that comes to mind and anything that would. more..

Writing
Lastly Lastly

A Story by Sadie Cahill


Demise Demise

A Poem by Sadie Cahill