COOL JOE, Chapter 20

COOL JOE, Chapter 20

A Story by Betty Hermelee
"

FAMILY SAGA

"

COOL JOE

Chapter 20

 

TED

 

I get home late, and after a few bourbons at THE BAR, I’m a bit tipsy. Margaret is still awake because I can see the light peeking through the bottom of the door. I walk in, she startles and puts her book down on the night stand. I must look like what the cat dragged in.

 

“So, my dear, you’re finally home; it’s almost 10:00PM. Did you get a lot accomplished at THE BAR, other than drinking?”

“Oh yes, at least I think so. We are all revved up to do something, make a plan. We talk about what we want to carry out and who should be involved.”

“And? Who should be involved? “

“Guess who my darling wife?”

“You, my dear husband. I know you have good contacts, more than the rest of them.”

“Well, me sort of indirectly. You know Mark at the shop, right?”

“Yes, I do, what are you getting at?”

“He has some friends who belong to a small gang, basically they knock off people, for money of course.”

“Hmm, I have no idea that Mark is in that business”, says Margaret with an inquisitive look on her face.

“He’s not a hit man, he knows someone who is, this guy Mike Lopez. I’m the designated contact to see what we can do about the murders and attempted murders. 

I don’t really like being in the middle of all this but it’s my family too.

“But isn’t there a great risk to all of us? I mean we could all get killed”, says Margaret.

“I believe if we do this carefully using an unknown gang, we may be okay, but there’s always a risk, and I don’t know how big.”

“If I didn’t think you are so adorable, I would knock your head off, just kidding. So, when does the action start?”

“Tomorrow! I will feel out Mark and see if he picks up on the plan. From there it goes to Lopez. It’s not going to happen right away, there has to be negotiations and we have to split the cost.”

“But aren’t we still paying off loans, cars, houses, etc.?”

“Yeah, but I still have some cash stashed away for emergencies.” Actually, I don’t know what’s there but I know it’s for a good cause.

“Honey”, says Margaret, “I don’t know how much we have for emergencies and other bills, but

Do we have to spend all our money on revenge, with perhaps a lot of risk?”

“No, my dear, you’re right, I promise you we’ll have a few pennies left! Just kidding. Now, it’s after 11:00 and I think we should both turn in for the night, you ready?”

“You bet!”

I hope I can sleep and get this revenge thing out of my mind for a while.

 

 

 

NEXT DAY

 

I did not have a great night’s sleep, but a good cup of cappuccino does the trick every time, and my wife makes the best. I usually get to the shop around 10:00, and Mark follows me at 11:00, because he has his rehab group certain mornings.

“I’m off to work, Margaret, I’ll see you later.” I hope it’s not another late night. I kiss the kids before they go to school, each one eager to learn, thank God! I think I’ll walk to work on this bright day, it’s really not that far.

 

As I’m walking, who do I meet in the street but Eddie, one of the Boss’s cronies.

“Hey Eddie, how are you doing? What are you doing in my neighborhood?”

“Ah, pretty good, just making some rounds to pick up some dough for loan pay-offs. By the way, you up to date?”

“I believe I am Eddie, but feel free to check on it.”

“Oh, forgot to ask, do you know where Sylvia disappears to?”

“Honestly Eddie, I really don’t. And, since the family is quite upset about it, I would rather we don’t talk about it anymore.”

“Okay, just wonderin.”

“Are you sure you’re just wondering Eddie? Or do you know more than nothing?”

“Just that the Boss is curious and keeps asking me, that’s all.”

“Well, you can tell Boss Johnnie, he’s causes enough problems, so lay off.”

“Whatever you say old pal, nice meetin you, take good care.”

“Goodbye Eddie.”

 

The one person I didn’t want to see today. Why do I have such bad luck?

I know he knows about Sylvia; he was in on the murder and the threats and the attempted murders and Sylvia’s disappearance, too. He’s a cover up for Johnnie.

I keep walking, but a bit faster, until I reach the office. I unlock the gates and open the door. I’m a little paranoid, so I quietly creep in and look around and listen for noises.

The coast is clear; I check to make sure my gun inventory is intact and the other stuff I sell.

 

Shortly after I open up and take care of some customers, Mark walks in and gets set to help me.

“HI Mark, how is your group going?”

“Oh, just fine, I actually like the people there, very friendly and we all contribute.”

“Mark, when this customer who is looking around leaves, I need to talk to you in private.”

“Did I do something wrong?”

“No, not at all, it’s something important for me and my family.”

 

The store is empty now and it is lunch hour, so I think this is a good time for me to approach Mark on the plan. I’m a little nervous but I’m going for it.

 

“So, Mark, let’s talk for a minute okay?”

“Sure Ted, good time for me.”

“Okay. I’m going to make it short and quick. We’ve had two murders and two attempted ones in the last few weeks. Three are family members, one is a personal bodyguard. We know who the perp is, the Bellini Family, Boss Johnnie and his cronies. Pete and our family desperately want revenge, but none of us know a killer. However, you Mark, may associate with one. We understand the risks involved. The only killer we are aware of is Mike Lopez and his cronies, a lesser-known gang. They may be able to knock off two people close to the Boss, who constantly give us a run-around after my brother-in-law is killed and his wife and kid run for their lives, and are now in the witness protection program, somewhere in the U.S. We don’t know their whereabouts, and we will probably never see them again. We know these two guys are connected to the murders. So, if you talk to Mike, we would be most appreciative. We have no idea of price or if he’s willing and able.”

“Well, first of all I’d be happy to talk to Mike, second of all, I think he still works, third of all he’d love the dough, so putting all of this together, I’m pretty sure he’ll take it. Do you want to be around Ted when I speak with him?”

“Not especially, Mark; I think it’s better if you describe the situation and get an answer, then we could all get together and discuss how, when, where and who.”

“I’ll be happy to do that for you Ted, you’ve been so kind to me, got me this job, knowing my background and all.”

“Oh Mark, you are doing everything you can to rehab yourself, and I like to help people who try to succeed.”

“Okay, Ted you got a deal. I’ll work on it and call you as soon as I know something.”

 

We shake hands and smile at each other, knowing that we’re both trying to accomplish something of importance and is risky as well. I do admire Mark for being a hard worker and his interest in learning the business. Someday me and Margaret are going to retire, that is when the kids leave the house, and move somewhere like Florida where we can just sit under a palm tree and drink Pina Coladas. Oh, to be old and lazy, not to be connected to anyone, except my family.

 

“Well kiddo, is it okay if I leave a little early today and spend some time with my wife and kids?”

“Sure, Ted, you’ve been under a lot of stress lately. Don’t worry, I can close up and lock the gates.”

“I appreciate that kid, don’t forget to call Mike, See ya.”

 

As I am walking away, maybe 300 ft from the store, I hear a couple of gun shots. I run back fast, then stop for a second, out of breath, praying that it’s not my store and Mark. I wait until I don’t hear any more shots, then I see two guys running down the street, duck into an alley, out of sight. I continue my run towards the store. Oh my God!

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2021 Betty Hermelee


Author's Note

Betty Hermelee
Twists and turns!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hat was Not expected. 😊
I was lulled into thinking the continuation would be where he was walking to and discussing the hit with the guy and family, so wasn't expecting to be sidswiped in the last sentence 😊
I got a feeling something is going to hit the fan and it rhymes with hit 😊

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Well dear loyalist, I had to add a twist , only a slight bump, then it smooths out a bit. Always app.. read more
Twists and turns, indeed. Things start getting strange as brother in law Ted begins a process of striking back at Boss Johnnie for the death of Robbie. It seems as though his friend Mark is friendly with the boss of a gang of assassins, who might be interested in some contract work. Interestingly, his wife Margaret, Robbie's sister, is rather cool on the idea, concerned by the ramifications of such a vigilante act. Undeterred, Ted approaches Mark, who consents to checking out the possibilities. Just afterward, as Ted is walking away from the store where they both work, he hears gunshots and sees men fleeing. Who can tell what is going to happen now? This one is really staring to get wild.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Dearest Jon, my valiant loyalist!!! Yes twists and turns indeed; thank you so much for your support!.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 13, 2021
Last Updated on May 13, 2021

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing