COOL JOE Chapter 32

COOL JOE Chapter 32

A Story by Betty Hermelee
"

FAMILY SAGA

"

COOL JOE

Chapter 32

 

PETE

 

Viv and I are sipping our after-dinner drinks, usually some kind of brandy, when I get a hysterical call from Frankie.

“Hey Pete, I got home tonight, I heard the shots around the house again. This time though, I saw a dark colored car about fifty feet away just sittin there in the street. I was afraid to go out, even with my gun, cause It looked like there was more than one guy in there…oh geez, I’m meat!”

“Take it easy Frankie, I’ll be over in a few minutes, just take a drink of bourbon and keep your gun handy.”

“Okay thanks Pete, I’m really getting scared now, and I have the kids tonight.”

“Stay calm Frankie, I’m on my way over.”

 

“Hey Viv, Frankie just called, he heard more gunshots around his place and he’s got the kids tonight so he’s quite frantic, to say the least; I have to go over and calm him and or help protect him.”

“Oh Pete, he’s a real whiny one; can’t he just lock himself and the kids in and put on the TV instead of poking his head out the door?”

“I guess not Viv, I’ll go, but won’t be long, okay? You just keep sipping Brandy so you won’t get nervous.”

I give Viv a kiss on her forehead, take the car keys and dash out of the house. While driving, I have all kinds of thoughts running through my mind, but I put my foot on the gas and I go as quickly as possible without being stopped by a cop.

I arrive at Frankie’s place and he’s got all the outside lights on; he opens the door and smiles at me.

“Should we take our guns and slowly walk over to that parked car near the bushes so we won’t be seen?”

“If you feel comfortable doing that Frankie, sure we can.”

 

We both strap up with our pistols hidden in our clothes. We have on dark jackets so that’s good. Frankie goes to check on the kids, both are sound asleep. He leaves the TV on pretty loud and the cars are in front. Before we even open the front door, we hear more gunshots coming from that car, but the shooting is up in the air, like a warning. We step outside and wait a minute to know if there will be more. Silence; I lead us down the few steps and along the deep hedge on the sidewalk; we walk gingerly with our guns now in our hands pointing them low, so as not to be seen. We continue on our path, stopping every few seconds; another gunshot; we wait until I give Frankie the sign to move; we’re getting a bit closer to the car, but it’s so dark, they can’t see us, I hope. I took my night binoculars, so I look through them and can see the tops of two heads in the car. My heart starts to flutter, Frankie is still behind me, hands shaking. We pause for a moment and whisper to each other to try to make a plan.

Should we just go back or try to knock them off? Hard decision to make; what are the risks?

Surely Boss Johnnie or Eddie will find out it’s us. We could get ourselves killed, or maimed. I have a thought right now. Maybe send Frankie home, because it seems like they’re after him more than me. Then I’ll sneak up a little and fire some shots in the air to let them know we mean business. Frankie whispers to me that he doesn’t want me alone, but I assure him I’m okay. He starts walking back towards his place. When I know he’s safe, I start firing shots in the air; dead silence for seconds and then more shots. I jump back, think for a moment and again use my binoculars to get a better description of the car. Now, it looks like only one head sticking up but the guy is wearing a mask. I get angry and frustrated because I can’t really identify the person. I have to make a quick decision; I think it’s better if I get one of Lopez’s hit-men to go with me next time this happens.

 

I turn around, always looking behind me, gun points down, out of sight until I reach Frankie’s place. He’s looks out the window, sees me coming and opens the door quickly. Now I’m inside and I can put my gun in my pants.

“What happened bro?”

“I guess I chickened out, you might say, but I made a decision not to do this alone, but try to convince Lopez to get me one of his sharp shooters to come next time. I’ll give him the scoop and let him know I need his help. I think he’ll cooperate. I’m so sorry Frankie that they seem to be picking on you more than me. I may call Eddie to see if he knows about this. He’ll probably deny it, but I can tell from his words and voice if he’s lying.”

“You sure you want to call him Pete?”

“Yea, I’m not afraid of Eddie, he’s just a pawn in the game. I think it’s too late to call now, but first thing in the morning I will. Do you want me to stay a bit longer?”

“Well, do you think that car will be there all night?”, Frankie asks.

“How do I know? I doubt it, and you know it could be just a bunch of kids doing this, not connected to Boss Johnnie.”

“I doubt it, it’s happening too often and I know they’re after us. Why don’t you go home, Viv is probably nervous about you bein out so late?”

“You’re right Frankie, but are you okay now? Double lock the door after I leave and let the TV stay on silent so someone thinks you’re up, like an insomniac.”

“What’s that?”, asks Frankie.

“Someone who can’t sleep. Now I have to sleep. I have work in the morning and I’d like to see Viv before she passes out.”

“Okay buddy, have a good night and let me know what Lopez says about covering us if this happens again.”

“I will; goodnight Frankie.”

 

I’m thinking now about what maybe I should have done; that is, shoot the b******s in the car. But I’m really a p***y, not a cop. I will need help to carry this out. Frankie is no help, he’s worse than me. I’m so happy that we’re getting protection soon, we really need it, at least some of us.

 

I arrive home and Viv is still up and looks scared.

“What happened honey, you’re so late.”

“I know, and we really didn’t accomplish anything either.”

“What do you mean by that?”

Well, there were more shots, so we carefully crept outside with our guns in hand, ready to take them on, and I couldn’t do it. I sent Frankie home and I was alone…. scared and afraid I would get harmed.”

“You poor baby, let me get you a brandy and we can sit in the living room for a while.”

“I’m such a p***y, I should have pointed the gun at the windshield and shot, but I didn’t.”

“I’m so glad you didn’t Pete, I could have lost you.” Tears in Viv’s eyes.

 

NEXT MORNING

I wake up with a raging headache from last night’s ordeal, have my coffee, chat with Viv, and then get busy with all the things that must get done before work.

 

On my list is to call Eddie and feel him out.

“Hey Eddie, it’s me Pete; Lately, Frankie and I have heard gun shots around our houses. What’s going on, do you know anything about this?”

“No, I don’t, Pete; but maybe I can find out for you.”

“Listen Eddie, I don’t believe a word you just said; I can tell by the tone of your voice that you’re putting me on; now let’s have the truth or you’ll be in big trouble; I have my means”

“I swear I’m not doin it, Pete; but maybe some of the Boss’ other men are shootin.”

“Okay Eddie, I know your car, and Frankie and I heard shots last night at Frankie’s place and it looked like it was coming from a parked car similar to yours.”

“But Pete, I went to bed at 9:00PM last night and didn’t go out at all; besides there are a lot of sedans like mine, and it was dark out; how could you see anything? No street lights either.”

“Sounds like a good alibi to me Eddie, but I still don’t believe it. And, if it wasn’t you, then you must know who it is, right?”

“Listen Pete, I’ll find out from Boss Johnnie, if he’ll tells me who was out last night causin trouble. I don’t know if the Boss will say, but I can try. By the way, he did let me know that Alex and Garcia are missing from work at the boss’ companies. He’s pretty sure you are a part of this

revenge deal; I haven’t said nothin to him, but I know he’s getting steamed up about it. Do you know anything about these guys missing?”

“Listen, Eddie, absolutely nothing. I don’t have the means like you do to harm anyone. I’m just an ordinary guy who got caught up with loans from the Boss. And Eddie, you’re really annoying me with these phone calls about the loans. I will have the money to pay them off very soon, so keep your pant on, will you? And, stop bothering Frankie too; he’s a hard-working man whose wife left him and he has to pay for everything, even her screaming all the time!  Bug off, we’ll pay the loans, and tell your freaking Boss that we don’t know what happened to those guys who are missing. Whoever is doing the shooting, you better tell them to end it, or else. Remember what I said, bye now Eddie.”

 

I’m shaking after that phone call; I have to pull myself together and get ready for work.

I go into the kitchen to set my coffee cup in the sink, Viv is not there. I call for her, no answer; I call twice more and start searching the house. Then I start screaming for her, looking outside, her car is still there, then in the basement, and all over. I’m panicking, breathing hard, can barely speak; where could she be? Maybe she just went out for an errand or two, but her car is still here. I’ll wait and have another cup of coffee; if she’s not back in 15 minutes, I’ll call the police, no maybe Ted. Oh God! Please let her be safe, I’m a wreck. I think back on what happened to Sylvia. Thank God the kids are at school.

I hope she come’s home quickly or I’ll have to do something. I’m praying for her safe return right now.

 


© 2021 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting story and very unique. I liked the cliffhanger it had!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading one of my chapters; I feel honored! Please go back and read more if you desir.. read more
NotUsinganymore

2 Years Ago

You are welcome.
Apologies for my tardiness once more Betty. Life keeps deciding that after periods of prolonged quiet to throw all its drama at me at once these days, a bit like your story. Maybe I'm actually a character in it, as yet unwritten 😉
More shots, more panic and as ever, saving the "the drama's over" lull, then boom! cliffhanger drama at the end.
It's fast becoming the wild west again at Frankies and the psychological torture keeps getting ramped up until someone has to crack and do something in retaliation,, which leads me to think that this might have been the bosses plan all along, to make them snap under the pressure and do something that will either end badly or exacerbate things to a very bloody and costly conclusion.
I think the city boy in me has finally vanished, as ten minutes of that would have led me into madness. The loudest thing I hear these days are the owl family hooting, and even that gets me out of bed and to the window to see what all the racket is about.
At least your story has confirmed to me that I'm done with city life for good, while wondering why so many still put up with it... But then I do miss pizza places and convenience and remember there's good and bad to both.
Moving on to see what happened to Vic and again, apologies for dragging heels 😊

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Thanks so much my dear Lorry....I must have skipped 34...., but I think you might want to read it..... read more
Lorry

2 Years Ago

Will do, and welcome 😊
This chapter is told from Pete's perspective, and it appears someone is trying to use psychological warfare on the brothers. Pete gets a panicky phone call from Frankie about people in a car again shooting in the air near his home. After trying to reassure Viv, Pete drives to Frankie's place, where the two armed brothers approach the mystery car with guns ready. They discern there are two people in the suspicious car, but Pete nevertheless lets Frankie go back home. Then, after weighing the possibilities, he decides not to pursue the matter further. The next day he calls the Boss's man Eddie and tries to nail him down about the identities of the shooters, but Eddie puts him off, while telling him the Boss suspects him regarding the killing of the other mobsters. Pete denies it, but it is not long afterward that he finds his wife Viv is missing. It feels as though things are moving toward some kind of showdown.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading my friend, more to come….
Best,
B.
Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

and thanks for noticing I missed Chapter 34!!!!
read when you have time... my fault!!!
.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 18, 2021
Last Updated on August 18, 2021

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing