COOL JOE, Chapter 33

COOL JOE, Chapter 33

A Story by Betty Hermelee
"

FAMILY SAGA: Something terrible happens to Pete's family

"

COOL JOE

Chapter 33

 

TED

 

I was in a light sleep when the phone rings and I jump up to answer it. I guess it is about 4:00AM, can’t’ see the clock that well, and I’m thinking God who’s calling me now, it must be bad news. I wipe the crap out of my eyes and answer it.

 

“Hello, Pete you’re hysterical, what’s happening, calm down I can’t hear you.”

Pete is sobbing and can barely get the words out; my heart starts fluttering.

“What is it, please say something!”

“Viv is gone!” More sobbing. “She disappeared late last night.” Sob. “I was talking with Eddie, angrily and then when I went back in the kitchen to join Viv, she was not anywhere in the house or outside, and her car was still parked at the house. I searched the basement too. Now what do I do, I’m so angry, scared and exhausted.”

“I’ll get dressed now and come over, just sit tight and we’ll figure it out together; take a glass of brandy, I’ll be there as fast as I can.”

 

Oh my God, I don’t believe this one! I’m almost sure the Boss sent someone to kidnap Viv in retribution for the money owed to him. That damn person probably chloroformed her which put her out and then dragged her into a car and sped off, because Pete didn’t mention any screaming or other noises. I’m getting dressed in sweats and a top; Margaret is still sleeping and I don’t want to wake her at this hour, but I’ll leave her a note, nothing to scare her. I get myself over there quickly. Pete greets me at the door, tears rolling down his cheeks, poor thing.

I hug him tight and try to calm him down. We sit on the couch for a few minutes until his sobbing stops and we can talk. His eyes are red and he keeps sniffling.

“Are you able to talk now Pete?”

“I guess”, he says, still sniffling. “Poor Viv, I know she’s petrified, I wish I could hug her right now, and apologize for getting involved with this mess.”

“So, do you think it is related to Boss Johnnie, retribution for no payment of loans?”

“Yes, Ted I do, but why not take me?”

“Because Pete that’s too easy; this way they go round about and make you suffer.”

“Where do you think they took her Ted?”

“Maybe to the Boss’ mansion, to one of his interrogation rooms, or maybe somewhere else.

Did Eddie give any hints about loans when you spoke to him, or anything about the gunshots?”

“No, he played dumb as usual, but I gave him the riot act and maybe that’s the reason he and the Boss are taking revenge, who knows? I’m just so worried about what they might do to Viv. I think I told you about the parked car and gun shots near Frankie’s house the other night. We tried to see who was in the car, but it was too far away and they had masks; we had our guns with us, but decided to go back to Frankie’s.”

“Is it possible for you to get a little shut eye Pete? Before we start our search? Or are you eager to run?”

“I couldn’t sleep if I tried, Ted, so let’s call the Boss and see what he has to say about this”

“Let’s see Pete, it’s only 5:30 AM, I don’t think the mansion will be open for business this early. So, let’s try to relax and watch some TV news; I know you’re ready to run, and I don’t blame you, but even Eddie won’t answer the phone this early.”

 

Pete goes over to a statue of the Virgin Mary in their hall and kneels down. He mutters a lot of words, crosses himself and cries. I feel so badly for the guy; we don’t want to involve the police which makes it even harder to get facts, alibis. I go over to Pete and put my hand on his shoulders, then I cross myself. We stay put in silence for a few seconds, then Pete agrees to sit down for a few minutes before we call the Boss. My thinking is they’re holding her at the mansion until they get paid off. Pete falls asleep watching TV; now it’s about 8:00AM so it’s time to get the ball rolling.

“Pete, wake up, it’s time to make a call to the Boss.”

Pete rubs his red eyes, yawns and says, “do you want me to call or you Ted?”

“I think I’ll call because you just had a bit of a row with Eddie.”

“Okay then, be sure to get us down there today”

“I’ll do my best Pete.”

 

I walk into the kitchen to look for the Boss’ number and I notice a cloth in the sink. I pick it up and it’s still damp and has sort of a sweet smell, like a mild disinfectant. I take another whiff and now I’m sure whoever did this used it on Viv to make her pass out. Damn!

I’m going to call the Boss now.

“Hello, who am I speaking with?”

“It’s the Boss’ guard at the front door, what do you want?”

“I want to speak to the Boss.”

“Who is this calling?”

“It’s Ted, just tell him Ted, Pete’s brother-in-law.”

“Okay, just a moment.”

I’m holding on forever it seems with Pete right behind so he can listen in.

“The Boss wants to know why are you calling?”

“Tell him it’s urgent! “

Okay sir, be right back.”

“Okay then, the boss says to come to his office.”

We leave immediately.

 

We arrive at the mansion; and are escorted by his assistant. We walk down the long hallways with a lot of doors until we finally reach the Boss’ office; I knock on the door, and let Pete go in before me. The Boss is smoking a stinky cigar and rocking back and forth in his large desk chair.

“What can I do for you fellas?”

“You know exactly why we’re here!”

“Slow down Pete, now talk to me in plain English.”

“Where is my wife Viv? She was kidnapped last night in our own house, and your guys shut her up with chloroform so there would be silence; very cleverly done Boss, I applaud you. Now, where is she?”

“Calm down my friend; I will tell you she is alive and well. But I had to do this because you ignored all my warnings; telephone calls, gunshots, etc. It’s quite simple Pete. You have owed me money for a long time; you’re not appreciative of my generosity.”

“What generosity? Your loans have the highest interest rates than anybody in our world.”

“But, Mr. Pete, we give you quite a long time to pay them back, right?”

“Not necessarily Boss. Now, let’s get to your many points; what do you really want from our family?”

“I want my money immediately, and I want to know where my missing workers are located. I heard they were missing last week from the two companies and I suspect it was your revenge on me for the killing of your brother and the disappearance of your sister-in-law, not to mention the killing of the guard.”

“You get nothing back until you show me my wife and let me speak with her so I believe she’s alive; then I will pay off the loan within a day or two. Do you have the exact amount on paper?”

“I will get my assistant to give you a bill. Let’s take one problem at a time. Before you leave here today, you will have a bill. Bring the money in two days, and I will let you speak with your wife to prove she’s alive, then you hand over the money.”

“But, can’t she leave when I pay you in full?”

“Not so fast Mr. Pete. We still have to figure out the other problem; where are my missing workers?”

“Boss, I have nothing to do with the disappearance of your workers. There are many crime families around this town and I have no idea who did it. You already ruined our family, and we’re still grieving. I have no more strength for this warfare; I’m done.”

“Maybe not”, says the Boss. “I’ll see you in two days with the money. And, by the way, your brother Frankie will be next if he doesn’t pay in two days; you can relay that message to him.”

I will let him know right away Boss and I’m sure he’ll pay you back in full. But could you do me a favor? Stop the gunshots, please, it’s very disturbing.”

“I’ll think about that Mr. Pete; lets see what you come up with first.”

“Okay Boss, we’ll see you in two days.”

 

We’re escorted out of the Boss’ mansion by his assistant. Pete has a bill in his hand, which is shaking. We leave the premises, Pete’s head is down, walking slowly, not happy at all.

I’m concerned about the missing workers, because we know where they are; I think Pete told me that he could get the money, that was no problem, but Alex and Garcia are another issue we must face.

 

“I’m so worried about Viv, Ted, I just can’t imagine where they put her. She is a fragile person who must be quivering, crying and sleepless. The Boss is being an a*****e as usual. I hope that Viv is not prepped as to what to say; who knows what they did to her mind; it can happen quickly.

“Don’t try to prejudge anything Pete. It will work out for you.”

“I have to call Danny and Frankie as soon as I get home. Thanks so much Ted for coming with me to see the Boss, I really appreciate it. I couldn’t do it alone.”

“You’re pretty tough Pete, but I am happy to help anytime.”

“I’ll speak soon Ted; I’ll be on my way.”

“Bye Pete, keep me posted. I’m worried about you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2021 Betty Hermelee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Can feel that wild west showdown getting nearer and nearer, as nerves start to sgmhred and finally some honesty that they are behind it, gunshots, kidnappings and more.
Desperation got the bosses hooks into them and they are realising that the interest rates aren't the only extortionate price they have paid. Question is, what will the final bill really cost them in friends and loved ones and who if any will get out alive.
Will they even have any family left to celebrate their hoped for victory, that will surely come at too great a cost to them.
Can feel the pressure ramping up in them all mentally and physically a d the cracks are beginning to show. Am busy thinking up a suitable end scenario for the bosses and their henchmen, but struggling to think of anything equal to what they deserve.



Posted 2 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Dearest Lorry : yes they’re getting in deeper & deeper, but there may be some hope which comes a b.. read more
I think anyone who has been following this story would not be surprised that the Boss has started playing real hardball. The nighttime gunshots were just warnings; now Pete's wife Viv has been kidnapped from their own home. Distraught, Pete calls Ted, who narrates this section. They arrange a meeting with the Boss, who frankly admits to the deed, while reassuring them Viv is all right. To get her back, though, they are going to have to repay their debt to him within a few days. Also, he wants to know what has happened to his two employees, whom the family members have killed in revenge for Robbie's murder. The first detail is doable, if difficult. As to the second, they don't have a clue.
PS: When Ted calls the mansion, the guard asks why he's coming. I think you meant calling. In the next paragraph, you left the r off of reach.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Betty Hermelee

2 Years Ago

Thank you John I stand corrected!! And for your loyalty to my first novel, always appreciated my fri.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 22, 2021
Last Updated on August 23, 2021

Author

Betty Hermelee
Betty Hermelee

Black Mountain, NC



About
My love of poetry results from my love of art. As a painter I am able to express myself on a canvas. As a poet my words come from my heart, my moods, sometimes sad, mostly upbeat. I like to use vivid .. more..

Writing