Senator John David “Grandfather” Braswell

Senator John David “Grandfather” Braswell

A Story by Bob
"

Memories of my Grandfather

"

Senator John David “Grandfather” Braswell

 

Comment from reader:

 

Karunesh Agrawal (Managing Editor of Taj Mahal Review Magazine) " It’s very good indeed. We would like to publish it in June 2007 11th Issue of Taj Mahal Review, International Literary Journal. I invite you to contribute your short story so that it may be published.

 

-------

 

I barely knew him. Memories of family picnics at his home in North Carolina are truly all that come to mind. His stoic appearance aided by the white hair but gentle smile immediately jump out at me. I was very young in those days, probably no more than seven or eight. I can’t even recall a conversation. I wish there were more.

 

 Researching information about him was relatively easy via the Internet. I have grown to appreciate him more as I have gotten older. Admiration for his success in life has given me great pride in the type of individual he was.

 

 I have long been fascinated with days of old and how life was like back in the days. A twenty by twenty-four inch picture of him and the entire North Carolina Senate from 1917 hangs above my desk. It’s a constant reminder of his success and provides for me to always remember to be the best that I can.

 

 He died in his sleep on Christmas Day. His death on that special day of the year is symbolic in the fact that he succeeded with what he wanted after death as he did in life with all his accomplishments, that being to live with his Lord Jesus.

 

Aunt Sadie, grandfather’s youngest daughter, told me that it is her opinion that her father was a little aloof with his sons because neither of them wanted to get an advanced education. He was disappointed.

 

She also has said that he was extremely bright and that the family’s intellect came from him. Grandmother ran the farm while he was away serving in his various political jobs.

 

He was extremely generous not only to his own but to all who needed help in the community. During the Great Depression, the family had plenty to eat and fed countless other families from food stored in their cellar during the cold winter. If a child or adult in the county needed shoes, somehow he found the money to buy them.

 

When he died on Christmas Day after a wonderful day with his family, he had one dollar in his wallet. The only reason he had it was because nobody needed it.

 

He had a hot temper and took nothing off anybody regardless of size. He feared no man. Finally, she also told me that he must have been an honest politician because the family was never wealthy.

 

He was born on May 5, 1876 in the small town of Frank in North Carolina. He married a woman by the name of Mary Elizabeth Byrd on March 13, 1907. Her nickname was Mollie.

 

I found some information from a book written by a Patty Smithdeal Fulton, a cousin of mine through my father’s sister, Hazel. The name of the book is titled Let the Record Show, a compelling true story about Patty’s father who was circumstantially accused of murder. It’s a fascinating fact-based tale of suspense and tragedy. It took place in Johnson City, Tennessee and got to be known as the Trial of the Century. In the book she gives a brief description of what kind of man my grandfather was. It is as follows:

 

John David Braswell was a well-educated teacher, merchant and farmer. He was also active in politics and served as a member of the North Carolina Senate in 1917. I remember describing him to a friend by saying, “Granddaddy Braswell believed in order to get into heaven, you had to be a Republican and a Baptist, in that order.”

 

He taught the Men’s Bible Class at Newland Baptist Church for many years, and after church every Sunday invited a large group to his home for dinner. He presided at the head of the first table and preached again the minister’s sermon, pointing out what he thought were errors in theology. He studied his Bible every night by the light of a kerosene lamp.

 

During the day he always wore a suit, white dress shirt and tie. If he joined the men who were working on his farm to hoe corn, he hoed in shirt and tie.

 

He was the stern father of two sons and six daughters and in later years remarked, “The devil owed me a debt and paid me off in sons-in-law.”

 

The following information was taken from his obituary printed in the Asheville Citizen Newspaper on December 27, 1953. It is as follows:

 

Newland, Dec. 26 " Funeral services for John D. Braswell, 77, a former State Senator and Avery County official, who died last night in his home, will be held tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. in the Newland Baptist Church. Braswell served as senator from the 30th N. C. District, comprising the counties of Avery, Mitchell, Madison and Yancey. He was also the sheriff, auditor and register of deeds for Avery County.

 

Dr. Wiley Smith of Boone and the Reverend Vilae Minton of Fletcher will officiate. Burial will be in the Newland Cemetery.

 

Braswell was a retired farmer, teacher, merchant and businessman. He was a native and lifelong resident of Avery County.

 

He was born on May 27, 1876 (discrepancy of birth date). He was the son of the late Sleighter B. and Sophie English Braswell. He was educated at Bowman Academy and was a member of the Newland Baptist Church, where he served as a deacon and teacher of the Men’s Bible Class for many years.

 

Surviving is his widow, the former Miss Mollie Byrd. He had six daughters who are Mrs. Hackett Smithdeal of Johnson City, Tennessee, Mrs. Basil Caldwell of Washington D. C., Mrs. Ray Ford also of Johnson City, Mrs. Ed Price of Mooresboro, Mrs. Tom Boring of Johnson City and Miss Sadie Braswell of Charlotte.

 

He also survives two sons, named John David Junior of Spruce Pine and Robert William of Sandusky, Ohio. He also had one surviving sister who is Mrs. Cora Greer of Newland, plus fifteen grandchildren.

 

The Reina-Sturdivant Funeral Home is in charge.

 

The following information came from the North Carolina State Library, printed in 1917. It is titled PUBLIC LAWS OF NORTH CAROLINA --- SESSION 1917.

 

John David Braswell, Republican, Senator from the Thirty-fifth District, was born in Mitchell County May 27, 1876. He was the son of S. B. and Sophia (English) Braswell. He received his education at Toe River Academy, Bowman Academy, and Aaron Seminary. He was a farmer by trade. He was the Register of Deeds of Mitchell County 1907-1912. He was a Deacon at the Newland Baptist Church 1912-1916. He was also married in May of 1908 to Miss Mollie Byrd. He has four children (at this point of his life). Address is Hughes, N. C.

 

His name appears throughout the book with the following bills he introduced to the General Assembly. By listing these bills my intent is to shed insight of the times back then.

 

1. A bill was introduced to amend chapters 172 and 174 of the Public-Local Laws of 1915, relating to the construction and maintenance of the public roads in Avery and Mitchell counties.

 

2. A bill was introduced to provide for the appointment of finance committees for Avery and Mitchell counties.

 

3. A bill was introduced to increase the number of the board of county commissioners of Madison County from three to five and to appoint two additional members of said board and to fix the term of office of same and to provide for the election of their successors.

 

4. A bill was introduced to place certain persons on the Confederate pension roll.

 

5. A bill was introduced relating to wild birds and animals and game in Mitchell and Avery Counties.

 

6. A bill was introduced to amend chapter 174 of the Public-Local Laws of 1915, with respect to the public roads in Avery County. Referred to Committee on Public Roads.

 

7. A bill was introduced to include Mitchell County within the provisions of the State primary election law. Placed upon the Calendar.

 

8. A petition was introduced for submitting three constitutional amendments. A bill was introduced to amend chapter 374 titled Public-Local laws of North Carolina. It related to the roads of Lovelady Township in Caldwell County.

 

Thank you Grandfather for making the name of Braswell a wonderful source of pride for me.

 

The End

© 2014 Bob


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
Added on October 3, 2014
Last Updated on October 4, 2014
Tags: family pride, grandfather

Author

Bob
Bob

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I'm human. more..

Writing