The Duck of Freedom Wears a Purple Hat

The Duck of Freedom Wears a Purple Hat

A Story by Laura Tyndall

The sun shone down over the fresh dew settled on the beautiful autumn leaves. The light gently accentuated every piece of rotting waste, strewn across the street, carelessly left by those with no pride for where they live.

Jessica stretched out in bed, it was that time of the day again when she was forced to drag herself into the bathroom, and make herself look presentable for school. Jessica was a rose in a thorn bush. She grew up in this decaying neighbourhood surrounded by wasters, who had no respect for anything. Jessica's enthusiasm for school and a good education has never wavered. She kept her dream cemented into the back of her eyelids, so every time she felt sick of the people around her, she would just close her eyes and escape to a better place.

Jessica was only 13. She was insanely bright, and had been teaching herself French, simply by reading books before bedtime. Her mother and father although they never really showed it, were incredibly proud of her. They encouraged her in their own way by just letting her be, and not forcing her to sit in front of the telly with them every evening watching the same old nonsense.

In this neighbourhood a mere hint of someone aspiring to be better made you instantly vindicated. People were perhaps afraid that one may escape and spread the word to the rest of the world just how bad it was in Fentemon Street and such.

Through last term Jessica has had it all, stones, spit, punches and foul words thrown at her, she has battled with teachers that turn a blind eye, and neighbours who don't look before they chuck out a bucket of the blackest dirty water ever, straight at her as she happened to be passing by.

This term Jessica hoped for better things, perhaps to see even one classmate remotely interested in the subjects they are taught. Sitting in assembly, already with chewing gum stuck to the soles of both shoes, Jessica felt a pang of excitement as a new teacher was introduced to the pupils.

"This is Miss Davies; she is going to be the new registration teacher for class 6. Unfortunately, Miss Ellis, has been unable to return to work this term due to personal circumstances

Jessica was indeed in class six, and no matter how much she stuck to the floor as she tried to make her way back to class after assembly, she felt hope that this one teacher may have more desire to teach than the last.

"Good morning class

"Good morning Miss Davies the class giggled and mocked as they welcomed their new leader. Miss Davies knew that this was a tough school. She wanted to work here to challenge her skills and broaden her abilities with a more varied range of education or lack of.

Jessica didn't have many opportunities to speak to Miss Davies one to one, but she had a good feeling about this.

Towards the end of the day, Jessica stumbled into the classroom crying her eyes out. She had grazes on both hands and knees, and a nasty bump to the head. She had been tripped over during a game of 'Kiss cuddle or torture'. No one wanted to kiss or cuddle the local 'brainiac', so tortured she was. Miss Davies's stomach churned when she saw the state of the pretty young girl as she approached her.

"My goodness, what happened to you? Didn't the teacher on yard duty help you? she asked.

Bubbling with tears and a runny nose, Jessica spoke softly, and maturely which took Miss Davies by surprise "I though this year would be different Miss Davies. I thought that now we were all a little older, more would want to do better in school like me.

Scooping Jessica up into her arms, Miss Davies sat her on her knee and gently wiped her eyes.

"Jessica she said

Staring back at Miss Davies through blurred vision she listened intently as her new wise teacher spoke.

"You see this hat in my hand? Jessica looked down, confused she looked back up at her teacher and slowly shook her head.

"Look closer Jessica, its here, in my hands, all shiny and sparkly - what's your favourite colour she asked.

"Purple replied Jessica.

"Look at this beautiful purple hat in my hands, I'm going to place this on your head, but only you and I can see it.

Still confused Jessica asked "Why Miss Davies?

"Well Jessica, You have something inside you that no one else can see, and through all the pain you experience because your peers don't understand you, you keep it hidden. You try to manage and cope on you own. You have been so incredibly brave, that I think you should wear something wonderful that you can be proud of as an achievement for being a very bright young girl

"But no one can see it She exclaimed.

"Exactly, so no one can mock you. When the other children shout at and tease you, just remember that you have this beautiful hat on that no one can touch, see or take from you.

Jessica pondered Miss Davis's explanation, and although she had never been into playing imaginary games, she instantly felt comforted by this. Still a little baffled Jessica thanked her teacher, cleaned up her cuts and went back onto the playground.

That afternoon when Jessica got home her mum asked her the usual,

"Hello duck, how was school, did you learn lots today?

"We have a new teacher, she's really nice

"That's great duck, well I've got to catch Trisha at 4 o clock, are you going to read this afternoon?

"Yes mum

In her bedroom Jessica admired her new hat. She stood tall and strong, proud of her achievement. "I bet Miss Davis doesn't just give anyone these special hats she thought. Now with a friend to support her in school Jessica felt somewhat less alone. She was one step closer to have the freedom of being herself.

© 2014 Laura Tyndall


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You've done a good job of telling this bittersweet, inspirational story. I came from similar circumstances as Jessica and know how important it is for the right kind of person to take interest and lend a helping hand.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 7, 2014
Last Updated on October 7, 2014

Author

Laura Tyndall
Laura Tyndall

NY



About
I Love attempting to write fiction novels when I get time! I love writing communities and the good vibes and encouragement you get from other members. CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS..... Colla.. more..

Writing