Abandonment

Abandonment

A Screenplay by Angeles
"

Exploring the different phases of abandonment.

"
ABANDON: "..give up completely (a course of action, a practice, or a way of thinking)"
In this film I am exploring the many different phases of abandonment; being let go of, doing the letting go and shedding skin. There is no specific definition or purpose, as life consists of neither. The most I am attempting to do is expand the horizons of the meaning of this word, and perhaps feeling. Although it is a morose subject,  I believe it is only so because of the correlation between the typical meaning of the word and being left alone. But loneliness in this film is not a product of any situation or inflicted by an outside party, other than yourself (Note how in every scene the subject abandons the camera). The character is abandoning herself and every situation she finds herself in, the same way nothing in life lasts forever. Maybe she's growing older, or simply growing tired and bored and searching for a new journey to embark on.
 
I am obviously ripping off a lot of people with this film, and I'm not pretending otherwise, as the screenplay wears it on its sleeve. It is about an existential crisis, after all. Therefore it's no surprise that I was greatly inspired by Jean Luc Godard, Ingmar Bergman and Woody Allen, among others. The abrupt close up and monologue is an ode to Woody Allen's 'Annie Hall' opening scene, and Godard's trademark of character close ups, particularly of Anna Karina in, A Woman is a Woman. By closing up on the character, the space and surroundings are irrelevant, revealing then only human emotion, which we can ALL relate to. And Bergman inspired the darkness that glooms over certain scenes, the loneliness of the character and the sexuality that creeps into the film.

ABANDONMENT

Written by:

Angeles Fernandez



FADE IN:

EXT.  Bridge - Night

Medium close up of main female character revealing a defeated, sad look as she stares at a female figure walking away. She is wearing very simple makeup and clothing, and her hair is loose. The female figure is not revealed by the camera in this shot.






Cut to

EXT. Bridge- Night

The female figure in question walks away from the camera until she is no longer visible. Shot in real time from the perspective of the main female characterThis is followed by a montage of different shots of the bridge, sans people.

Cut to

EXT. Park- Day

Main female character wanders through a park, as if she was caught inside a maze. She is looking for something other than a way out. Her look is perplexed, frustrated, and it is clear that she is lost. She looks adolescent-like, with a blue dress and loose hair.

Cut to

INT. Staircase- Day/Night

(Shot from above) A shot of an empty staircase and space, in which main female character later appears, completely dressed in black with her hair picked up. She stands still, looks to the right, then the left, as if looking for something. She then walks away, leaving the space empty, again.

 

 

 

Cut to

INT. Stark background- Day/Night

Abrupt medium close up of main female character giving her back to the camera, doing a monologue. Her wardrobe and makeup are glamorized, vamped up and dark. Her expression is jaded and distressed. She is holding a glass of whiskey, from which she sips occasionally.

It’s me- he said. But who is he, now?

I don’t even know who I am these days.

It feels like a thousand years have passed.

I’m ashamed of it all.

Cut to

Continuation of monologue, now revealing her profile

All my memories have been smeared by drunken nights

and strangers’ faces. I’ve made new friends who have

shown me new worlds. Yet, I’m still mourning, and I’m not

sure what I’m mourning, anymore.

Cut to

Continuation of monologue- female character is staring into the camera.

I guess I’d much rather romanticize a sunset than a sunrise,

the same way I tend to romanticize my misfortunes.

I don’t care for much, especially all those things they care about.

My friends are now strangers.

If I don’t tell you much, you’ll make a thousand people out of me.

If I reveal it all, well, you might just walk away- Or worse, stay and try to change me.

And I like endless possibilities, because we are our dreams and who we want to become.

I’m not me. I’m not her, yet. But I’m in charge of this ship.

No skeletons in my closet; no tragic romances.

Cut to

INT. Stark background- Day/Night

(Same scenario in which main female character did her monologue)

A montage: Main female character blankly staring into the camera, followed by her sipping from her glass,then fixing her hair, and finally physically expressing different dramatic expressions.

Cut to

INT. Stark background- Day/Night

(Same scenario in which main female character did her monologue)

Female character takes a final sip from her glass and leaves the frame. The camera does not follow her, revealing only the blank, stark background.

Cut to

INT. Museum- Day

Main female character walks through a museum in curiosity, admiring art.  She wears a dress that flows like her loose hair as she walks. She stops in front of a painting of “The Birth of Venus” stays there for a moment, admiring it and taking it in. She then leaves the frame, revealing only the painting.

Cut to

EXT. Street (Lowers East Side, nyc) Night

A montage: Main female character walking the streets,accompanied by two other females, making their way in and out of bars, arbitrarily.

Cut to

INT. Bar (Lower East Side, NYC) Night

An encounter with a man; they both whisper something in each other’s ear, not audible to the camera. This shot is followed by an interchange of lustful stares across the bar, with a different male character.

Cut to

EXT. Car �" Sunrise

A clear shot of main female character in the passenger seat, going home, ending her night. She is blankly staring ahead and occasionally staring at herself in the rearview mirror. (Tangerine by Led Zeppelin plays on the radio)

Cut to

EXT. Bridge- Sunset

Abrupt medium close up of main female character staring directly at the camera. Her look is confident andseductive. Her hair is pulled back, dramatic makeup;she wears a fur coat and statement earrings. Thecamera then starts to move away from the character, as she stares. She drops her fur coat, and walks away simultaneously, until she is no longer visible. Shot in real time.

THE END

© 2014 Angeles


Author's Note

Angeles
My first screenplay.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on July 28, 2014
Last Updated on July 28, 2014
Tags: abandonment, screenplay, short film, film, concept, existential crisis

Author

Angeles
Angeles

North Bergen, NJ



About
I'll let my writing talk 'About Me' more..

Writing