Journey through the bowels

Journey through the bowels

A Story by Blake McGarrah
"

Three friends must traverse through a very mysterious place and find a way home.

"

One day in creative writing, Logan was given the assignment to write a short story and was given a couple of weeks to complete it. Logan had no idea what to write about. He had started and scrapped four stories in a row. So, out of frustration, Logan started a new document and just started typing whatever came to mind. His friends Dorra, and Leaf already knew what they wanted to write about. Leaf already had hers typed! While Logan was trying to type his story when, a giant chow chow attacked the school ripping off the roof and throwing it into space! The chow chow gazed down into the small computer lab and spotted Logan,Dorra, and Leaf and within mere seconds ate them. Logan, Dorra, and Leaf screamed as they slid down the chow chow’s long throat, but were silenced as they fell into the pit of its stomach and into a pool of jello.

All three of them emerged simultaneously, “WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!” Dorra screamed.

“Obviously we were just eaten by a giant chow chow” Logan replied. Leaf just stood there in disbelief with her forehead in her palm. “Is this jello?” Logan asked, Dorra then scooped up the orange goop and threw it right in Logan's yawning mouth. After coughing and struggling to breathe again, Logan then said “Yeah, it's jello.”. Logan then scooped up some of the jello and threw it back at Dorra, but Dorra dodged out of the way and it hit Leaf right in the nose.

“I hate you.” Leaf said as the orangish yellow goop slid down her face. The three friends saw a part of the chow chow’s stomach that looked like a platform in the pool. It was a different color than the rest of the dark purple stomach however. The “platform” was a light brown color (sort of tan). The three friends awkwardly swam through the jello to the platform. Dorra tried to climb on the platform, but it flipped over on top of her shoving her under the jello.

“DOORRAA!” Logan screamed as he reached under the jello and yanked Dorra back up by her hair.

“UGHLIOJLIJOJLOLO” Dorra gurgled as she attempted to swallow the jello.

“ARE YOU OK?!” Logan asked as he held Dorra up out of the jello.

After taking a moment to swallow the jello, Dorra then replied “I was better when you didn’t pull my hair out!”. Logan dropped the ball of hair he held in his hand and chuckled.

“Boost me up on there.” Leaf told Logan. Leaf climbed onto Logan's shoulders and jumped to the platform. Leaf sat on the platform and and examined it. She poked it with her finger, it was hard, it also had a strange design carved into it. “I think this is an Oreo cookie.” said Leaf. Dorra then took a bite out of the side of the “platform”, she swallowed the bite and quickly took another. “Yeah it’s an Oreo cookie.” Leaf said. While Leaf sat upon her cookie throne, Logan took a look around.

The stomach was huge it stretched on for who knows how long! The sides of the stomach were dark purple caked in what Logan assumed to be jello, but where was the jello coming from? Logan turned to his friends and devised a plan to go investigate the stomach, Leaf agreed with the idea since there was no point in just sitting around, and Dorra recommended they all split up and look.

“NO!” yelled Logan “Have you never seen a horror movie in your life?! That’s how everyone dies!”.

“Okay geez” said Dorra. “We can all explore together then”. The three friends started off towards the rear of the chow chow, slowly wading through the thick jello.

”This is awfuuullll” Logan said and jumped on Dorras back “ONWARD STEED!” he yelled as Dorra threw him off into the jello. Logan quickly got up out of the jello and let a deep sigh as the three friends continued their march through the goop.

After marching for what seemed like hours. The three friends finally made it out of the jello ocean, arriving at a beach like area with what appeared to be sugar sand.

“Is that sugar?” Dorra asked, Leaf then pushed a tired Logan into the sugar sand face first.

After laying on his face for a good thirty seconds Logan then rolled over on his back and said “Yeah….it’s sugar.”, Leaf and Dorra then threw themselves down on the sugar sand, the three friends laid on the sugar for a couple of minutes before falling into a deep sleep. Logan awoke tied to candycane polls next to Dorra who was also tied up. “WHAT!?” Logan yelled as Dorra slowly arose from sleep, “WHERE ARE WE!? WHAT IS THIS!?”

Dorra, now fully awake, also yelled “WHERE’S LEAF!?”

“Oh yeah, she’s gone” Logan replied, “BUT WHY ARE WE TIED UP!?”. Logan took a look at the surroundings they were in a small room sort of like a cave, sharpened candy canes hung from the ceiling, they still sat on the sugar sand, but the walls looked like graham crackers. Jolly rancher torches illuminated the room; however, the outside of the cave was dark.

Dorra then realized that the ropes holding her and Logan down were made of liquorice, “Hey these ropes are liquorice!” Dorra said “We can just eat our way free!.

”I hate liquorice…” Logan said. Dorra chewed her way out of the liquorice restraints as Logan slowly chewed as well spitting out every piece of liquorice in disgust. After endless hours of chewing off the nasty candy, Logan and dorra were free!

Just as they were going to leave the cave, a small dark silhouette started moving towards them, “What’s that?” Dorra asked.

“TAKE HER!” Logan yelled as he pushed Dorra towards the shadow.

Dorra screamed, “LOGAN, I HATE YOU!” as she fell on the small silhouette . It was sticky and had a rough surface. Dorra quickly jumped up from the small shadow and Logan and Dorra then realized the shadow was a SourPatchKid!

It was holding a pair of scissors, “They’re sour! Then sweet!” Logan and Dorra said simultaneously.

“Awww, he was coming to cut us free!” Dorra said.

“But he’s the one who tied us up!” Logan said.

“Maybe he knows where Leaf is!” Dorra said. Dorra crouched down to talk to the the sour sweet creature, “Do you know where our friend is?” she asked.  The Sour Patch Kid then grabbed her hand and ran out of the cave with her. Logan chased after them. They ran down a long, dark hallway, there was barely any light.

“WHERE IS HE TAKING US!?” Dorra yelled back to Logan.

“YOU MEAN, WHERE IS HE TAKING YOU!?” Logan replied. The Sour Patch Kid then charged into the wall at the end of the tunnel and it and Dorra fell. Logan didn't realize there was drop and also fell off the ledge before he could stop himself. The three fell for quite a while. Logan took in what he could while he was falling. He couldn't make out too much because everything looked blurry. But there were bright colors everywhere! Neon blue, and purple, and what appeared to be gold walls. When the three finally did land they landed in a giant bowl of pudding. Dorra and Logan emerged quickly but the Sour Patch Kid did not.

“I give up.” Logan said.

“You can’t just give up!” Dorra replied.

“Not literally, I meant it in the sense that I’m overwhelmed.” Logan answered back.

“Makes sense.” Dorra replied again. The two friends then climbed out of the giant bowl to see what appeared to be a Skittle road, “Should we follow it?” Dorra asked Logan.

“Do I look like a GPS?” Logan said back. Dorra gave him the look of all looks. The look that says “I hate you”. Then the two friends started down the skittle road.

After what was close to two hours because Logan counted every second they walked, they arrived at a small village. There were tents made out of candy cigarettes and fruit roll ups, and as the two friends entered the village. Leaf emerged from one of the tents with about fifty Sour Patch Kids. Leaf was now wearing a laffy taffy scarf and a gusher hat, she also had a blowpop staff.

“Leaf!” Dorra yelled as she ran towards Leaf, but was stopped by two Sour Patch Kids tripping her with a twizzler. Logan laughed hysterically.  Dorra stood up and wiped what was most likely sugar off her jeans, “Shut up It’s not funny!” she yelled at Logan.

“It’s okay, they’re my friends!’ Leaf tried to explain to the Sour Patch kids, but they ignored her and ran and got their sharpened candy cane spears out of their tents. Logan and Dorra stood side by side and watched as the Sour Patch Kids lined up in front of them, candy cane spears in hand. Neither Leaf, Dorra, nor Logan said a word. Then one of the Sour Patch warriors charged at Logan. Logan then kicked the sharp tip of the candy cane off, picked up the Sour Patch warrior and bit his head off. The rest of the Sour Patch warriors were shocked and in disbelief, and after a moment all of them dropped their spears and ran in all different directions screaming.

“I guess they got their just desserts.” Logan said chuckling. Dorra and Leaf then sighed and put their foreheads in their hands.

“I know how to get out of here guys!” Leaf said with joy, “They have a map in one of the tents!”. Leaf then walked into one of the tents and came back out with a large map drawn on a airhead. The three friends studied the map for a couple of minutes.

“THE EXIT IS IN ONE OF THE TENTS!” Logan yelled, then jumped up and ran to the farthest tent away from where the friends sat and ran inside. Leaf and Dorra sat and watched patiently to see what would happen. A loud noise which sounded like two swords being hit together could be heard coming from the tent.

“What did he do?” Leaf asked. There was silence, Dorra got up to walk over to the tent but just as she stood up, a whale noise was heard and a big tube came out of nowhere and sucked up the whole Sour Patch village. Leaf and Dorra grabbed on the each other’s hair as they were thrown through a tunnel with a force greater than that of a MLB player throwing a baseball. As they held onto each other screaming from fear and the pain of their hair being pulled out, Logan flew by screaming as well. They got to the end of the long vacuum tube and were shot out of the giant chow chows butt and back into their creative writing class. The three friends stood up in the middle of the classroom as it rained fruit roll up tents and Sour Patch Kid body parts.

Logan then looked at Mrs.Book, their creative writing teacher, and said “Do I have a story to tell you!”.

© 2015 Blake McGarrah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on December 12, 2015
Last Updated on December 12, 2015
Tags: Short Story, Adventure, Imagination

Author

Blake McGarrah
Blake McGarrah

Elizabethtown, KY



About
Pencil and a notebook more..

Writing