Home

Home

A Poem by Joshua W. Harris
"

Not a Poem, but not really classifiable as anything else they have on here. Akin to my piece "Hope".

"

These walls are barren and judgmental.

For years we've placed things over them in order to cover their ever-watchful eyes.

To blind their vision, for they can see our inner selves.

But now that the art is down, all of the coverings and the obstructions...all there is left is the eyes.


They stare further than comfortable.

They tell you what you really are--who you really are.

I can't remember the last time I felt like someone truly knew all there was to know about me. Everything in all of its broken, stitched together splendor.

I don't even know myself.


But there is this unmistakable feeling.

These walls know me.


The empty wasteland of lint and old carpet against the scratched paint leaves a bitter sadness, clinging to the back of my mind.

The empty space emanates the sorrow of my subconscious.

The rooms...they feel as empty as I do. Is this why it is so easy to relate to them?

Perhaps I am too akin to this empty home; so much so that I am repulsed by it.


Or by Myself?


My bedroom is relatively untouched.

The decoration remains, and the walls eyes can not reach me here.

The last room that has not been stripped bare.

It feels the same, and yet different. As if it has become something more.

The last defense.


The last piece of home.


If I boarded my room up, and stayed here it might feel comfortable. As if on the other side of the door home was still there.

But eventually I would need food, water...not such a workable plan.

I suppose home is wherever you make it though. Maybe these plain, empty walls will warm up when they get to know me. When they get to see me without their blinders on.

I suppose it is just going to be a strange transition. To turn this place into a home of sorts.


No place like it right?

© 2013 Joshua W. Harris


Author's Note

Joshua W. Harris
A piece I wrote in a desolate time in my life. When I had been left alone in a house whilst my brothers and parents moved out. Everything had been taken out of the house, so I was left with just my bedroom left, to try and survive until the house sold, in which time I would have to move out as well.
Found it in the random corners of my computer and figured I could spruce it up and format it for a posting up here. ^__^

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Added on October 18, 2013
Last Updated on October 18, 2013
Tags: Home, Empty, Poem, Joshua, Harris, Dark