Death's Waiting Arms

Death's Waiting Arms

A Story by Erika Jones

 

I stood by his grave, my tears falling down my face as I remembered our last moments together. I could and always will say it was my fault for him being dead in the first place while my friends would say it was an accident. But I knew better, I was too blinded by my self image that I couldn't see the truth until it was too late …


Flashback: Two years earlier


You're a disgrace!” I screamed as I ran out of the apartment. Flustered, enraged, heartbroken, and back stabbed, I knew it was over. “You lied to me! I can't believe I even trusted you!”

 

“It's not what you think Mary Anne!” My now ex-boyfriend, Max, yelled at me from behind me.

 

“Really?” I continued to scream as I stopped walking and faced him. “You were about to do her! Or was that a guy in there? I couldn't tell because my eyes were burning so much from crying.”

 

“It was Allen, and I wasn't about to do him! I am a massage therapist you know! And he needed his back worked on. You know better than to think I would have sex with another man!” Max screamed back, glaring at me with eyes filled with rage, but I didn't care how mad he was, I still felt betrayed.

 

“You were sitting on him and from behind it looked like you two were doing it! He was moaning for crying out loud!” I yelled. The urge to smack him as hard as I could crept up dangerously, but I kept my hands by my side in tight fists of anger.

 

“You moan when I give you a back massage!” He continued to yell. It was like neither of us cared if the neighbors heard our fight. But I knew they were staring at us through their windows to see what was going on. It was nearly dark, I'd be doing the same thing if it was one of them.

 

But hell, I was ticked off, so I smacked him as hard as I could, making an echo of the slap sound through the 'for now quiet' community when everyone else that got off work around nine came home. “I do know better, but sometimes I wonder myself Max! I was looking through the computer the other day to find a website I was looking at and found gay porn in the history! So don't tell me you're not bi!” I had a good argument there.

 

“I can't believe this! You know what, you stay here. I'm leaving and packing my stuff when I come back in the morning!” He yelled.

 

“And risk myself being kicked out on the street? Yea right! This house is in your name Max! I'm not stupid.”

 

“Then get out of my way! I'm going to the bar!” He yelled as he pushed me aside to get to the car.

I fell over because he pushed a little hard, but I didn't care about that, there was incoming traffic from the highway starting to come in and realized we had been yelling at each other for about an hour. I did hate him right now, but I didn't want him to die, so I forced myself up and chased after him. “Max, wait, traffic's coming!” I said loud enough for him to hear.

 

Max continued to ignore me as he unlocked the car and opened the drivers' side door to get in. He didn't look up until he heard the screeching tires of a speeding car that was trying to get home.

 

“Max!” I screamed when I saw the car collide into him. It tossed him aside like a rag doll. Threw him several feet away from both cars and took the door off our car. I was too scared and too stunned at what happened right before my eyes to really move. And it felt like it was hours before I moved from the spot where I stood and slowly walked over to Max, who was lying face down on the ground, mangled up as a puddle of blood was forming underneath him.

 

My tears were already falling like rivers down my face as I fell to my knees by his side and gently pulled him towards me. I was relieved to hear him still breathing and held him close to me gently.

I was still crying, and I almost didn't hear him when he said “I love you Mary.”

 

“I love you too babe, I'm sorry for everything I said.” I cried, petting back his hair as I kissed his bloody forehead. Not paying attention to anything else but him.

 

I didn't want to believe he was going to die, but he did, in my arms after I saw him smile to me from what I told him. The medics came and so did the police, only after one of the worried neighbors called. I was too stunned or scared to leave him and get my purse from inside the house that I forgot.

 

The medics had to pry him from my arms to bag him. The driver, who ended up being arrested not only for hitting Max, but he was also high on meth, so the charges kept piling up.

 

I had to be escorted to the hospital because they thought I was going to snap, and I would have too if no one was around.


That's how I ended up being here, now laying down on his grave curled up in a ball looking pathetic. And I knew I was pathetic, especially with what I was about to do. No one knew I was here, so my friend, Jake Phillips, whom I met in a mental house for those who were like me, suffering from loss to the extreme.

 

I had started crying as I was telling him about my month. I had made it into my schedule to visit him at least once a month since I got out of the nut house and stayed with my mother for supervisional purposes only. But I was getting tired of it all. Tired of all the pills and the fights and the long nights of staying awake just crying myself to sleep.

 

So as I lay here on his grave, I pulled out the gun sitting at the bottom of my purse I stole from my father's lock box my mom never opened since he, himself, passed. I made sure that I grabbed a few bullets to make sure that it was loaded when I were to use it.

 

“I'll see you soon Max …” I whispered as I put the gun to my head, got it ready and put my finger on the trigger.

 

I contemplated on pulling that trigger for a moment, but in the end, I closed my eyes and welcomed death with open arms as I pulled it, falling into Death's waiting arms within seconds.

© 2012 Erika Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This usually isn't my cup of tea within reading, but I enjoyed the suspense at the beginning and I feel bad to admit this but I thought the gay porn and their fight was hilarious. In a way its sort of like a present day Romeo and Juliet with the death part but it was good !

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
1 Review
Added on March 26, 2012
Last Updated on March 26, 2012

Author

Erika Jones
Erika Jones

Medway, OH



About
I'm Erika and I'm a 25 year old Author. I've self-published a small poem book called "Screams of the Outcast" a couple years ago and slowly selling. Not only do I like poetry, I love writing novels an.. more..

Writing