Smile on.

Smile on.

A Story by Blindsighted
"

A letter to my future self.

"

Smile on, darling, 'cause the Cheshire Cat's got nothing on you. For we are all electricity and adrenaline and pounding hearts and quick pulses throbbing like raw paper-cuts. Even if life is wanting you to stutter-stammer-stumble for it; ignore it. Ignore it the way you did when you were little and didn't know what gravity was. (Before it's too late.)

 

Remember-- you only live once.

 

So while you still can, run around the big, big world you're allowed to call a playground and know that if you fall, it won't-- can't-- hurt. Trust in friction and run back up the slide until you're at the top, feeling like the queen of the world with one hand on the railing and a curve etched onto your lips.

 

But hesitation, darling, is oh-so-tempting, and you're struggling not to look back. So don't make a reason to. If you have an itching, scratch it and if you have a craving, indulge it, because thinking back on what could have been can be rather depressing, can't it, dear?

 

I know you already lost that childhood innocence-- the cotton-candy clouds, the simplicity we all envy. But right now, you only have one finger on the steering wheel and the rest is hanging on (like a life line) to the last bit of not-quite-freedom you have left.

 

We wish time would go a little bit slower while we laugh and smile and breathe a little bit faster, so we'd have all the time we need to truly live (but we don't). Life is an impatient thing; it won't wait for you to grow up. It will threaten to leave you behind if you don't swallow your fears and just climb onto that tall, tall rollercoaster you never quite had the bravery to ride.

 

And, lastly, don't cry. You'll feel helpless and alone and afraid... but please don't cry. (You're not alone yet.)

 

...

 

(And stop being so god-damn lazy.)

 

-yours truly.

© 2010 Blindsighted


Author's Note

Blindsighted
On Live Journal, there was a Time Capsule meme. What you do is that you create a thread and then write something (doesn't matter what-- though most people are writing letters to their future selves) and then friends can write something, as well. This was the letter I wrote to myself. C:

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Remember-- you only live once." If only I had a dime for everytime I heard that >:) THEN I'D BE RICH ;) lol No I really like that line *continues to read on*

"You're not alone yet.)



...



(And stop being so god-damn lazy.)"


HAHA I laughed, what a cute ending! Really enjoyed it all! Thanks for sharing. This story seems to repersent you in some kind of way and that makes it an interesting peice to read! So BRAVO! :D it was REALLY good :)



Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
1 Review
Added on December 13, 2010
Last Updated on December 13, 2010

Author

Blindsighted
Blindsighted

San Juan, Puerto Rico



About
Grew up loving sky and the smell of old library books. Stubborn. Addicted to reading and that weightless millisecond on a plane half grounded and half suspended in flight. In search of cities with sky.. more..

Writing
Red Red

A Poem by Blindsighted