The Grey Witch. Part Four

The Grey Witch. Part Four

A Story by PaulB
"

Erin and Joshua meet a refugee from the bloodshed in Hantel.

"

Part 4


Ruth said,

“A group, the Inhardeen Disciples, set themselves up about thirty years ago. Claimed to be preparing for the Great Change, heralded by a visitor from the sky. Gradually, they gained followers, but were dismissed as harmless cranks.”

She stopped to take a sip of water, then continued,

“About a year ago. The Town Mayor, Daniel Clarke, died suddenly. He was some seventy summers old, so it was no surprise. The deputy Mayor, Marcus Grey, an Inhardeen member, became Mayor. Over the last twelve months, Grey has appointed several of his colleagues, all Inhardeen, into positions of power in Hantel. They, in turn, have been populating their staff with Inhardeen members. Businesses, police, militia and so forth. I work at the town library. As far as I know, all my colleagues can be trusted."


Ruth stopped to take a mouthful of water and continued,

“A week ago, the Grey Witch was welcomed into Hantel through cheering crowds to the Town Hall where a banquet was held in her honour that evening. Over the last seven days, non-Inhardeen townspeople were made to pledge their allegiance to her or die. The militia are still rounding people up. The Grey Witch will carry on killing until no opposition remains.”


Erin had acquired a small stone bottle of buqa from Stoneway. She offered Ruth a drink. The woman took a sip and coughed,

“Hells teeth, what is that?”

“It's called buqa. Spirit drink.”

“Not like any buqa I ever tasted. But, it's welcome, all the same, thank you.”


They sat in silent contemplation for half an hour. Joshua broke the silence,

“We can't allow the witch to go any further. She has to be stopped.”

Erin muttered,

“Stating the bloody obvious isn't helping us, Joshua.”

“You must kill her.”

“Me? Oh, fantastic plan. Just stroll in and finish her off.”


Ruth said slowly,

“But if it could be done, the Inhardeen would collapse. They are certain that the visitor from the sky is invincible. Erin, you are fast and skilful, surely you could manage it?”

Erin looked over at Joshua,

“The skills bit, I understand. Josh trained me in combat techniques since I was knee high to a flea. But the speed? I think it's time you 'fessed up, Joshua. What the hell is going on?”


“It was your father's idea...”

“Why am I not surprised?”

“Please Erin, don't interrupt. I...”

“Force of habit, sorry.”

“Erin!”

She held up both hands. Joshua said,

“Your father implanted a small crystal " the Shamans Stone, in your cheek. You were only about a year old at the time.”

Erin grumbled something quietly. He ignored her and said,

“The stone has enhanced your abilities vis a vis fighting skills, intelligence, speed, endurance and precognition. All qualities that would be needed when he sent you and I to destroy the witch.”


“Well now, father's not such a bad, old stick, after all.”

“You've changed your tune, since about five minutes ago.”

Erin had the grace to blush then shrugged,

“I suppose it's all part of my growing up process. But how come I never noticed any difference between me and....ah, I see.”

“Exactly. You've been alone for twenty years with nobody to measure yourself against.”


Ruth was listening with a frown,

“You've never met anyone else, apart from Joshua. For twenty years?”

“That's right. Well, my father would pop in, once in a blue moon.”

“Didn't you ever get lonely, for, you know, for a man?” Ruth was blushing, furiously.

Erin turned to Joshua,

“S'cuse me, Josh. This is girl talk. A bit of privacy would be appreciated?”

Her mentor stood and stalked out of ear-shot. Erin sighed,

“Bugger, he's going be in a mood, for the rest of the day, now. Anyway, Ruth, about men....”


While they sat and talked. Joshua patrolled the immediate area to make sure there were no more unwelcome visitors.


Eventually, Erin called him over and said,

“We maybe able to fight the Witch. Ruth, you tell him.”

Ruth said,

“We'd been getting worried about the Inhardeen Disciples for five years. Myself and a fellow librarian, Simon Root, sat down and discussed the possibilities of setting up a committee to investigate the Disciples. We have contacts around Hantel and gathered enough information about the Inhardeen to cause us great concern.”


Joshua asked,

“You have a network of sympathisers in place?”

“Yes.”

“And they'd be willing to help?”

“Those that have survived.”

Erin muttered,

“Damn, any idea how many are still alive?”

Ruth shook her head,

“No, but I can find out.”

She gave two whistles, one long, one short. A flurry of wings and a raven landed on her outstretched hand.


Erin looked at Joshua and shrugged her shoulders. Ruth smiled,

“A good many people in Hantel keep ravens as pets. Committee members have trained some as messengers. This is Babel.”

She went over to the dead militia man, picked up his knife and cut a thin strip from her silk scarf. Ruth walked back to Erin and Joshua, found a stone to rest the strip. She began to cut small circles and lines in the fabric. Eventually Ruth tied the silk around one of the ravens legs and shooed it away. The bird headed in Hantel's direction.


Erin was frowning,

“What was that all about?”

“The strip has lines and circles cut into it. The marks are a coded message. Babel will take the message to Simon. I've asked to meet him. He'll send him back with a time and place.”

Joshua said,

“How long should it take?”

Ruth raised one shoulder,

“Could be an hour, could be longer. We'll just have to wait.”

She looked at Erin,

“Any of that buqa left?”


End of part 4



© 2017 PaulB


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
Added on June 8, 2017
Last Updated on June 10, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, sorcery, witches, gods

Author

PaulB
PaulB

Halifax, Northern England, United Kingdom



About
I'm Paul. I'm a disabled student support worker at Huddersfield Uni. I write for fun for myself. I got a degree in English and Creative Writing about 10 years ago. I have 61 summers behind me. Origina.. more..

Writing