Bad Things Happen

Bad Things Happen

A Story by Blue Mistane
"

A shot story to give a chill

"
Bad Things Happen




The sun had gone way too long ago while I had liquor buzzing through my veins. Feeling light and humble I walked through the streets with the breeze sending snow past my face. It was quiet and I felt carefree.

There was only a few blocks left before i hit the porch of my house. The thought of a warm bed was pleasing tonight. So much trouble, so much work and I could finally drift away into my cozy dreams.

It was my usual midnight walk home, but I had caught something that I could not grasp. There was a car in the middle of the street with the lights on and the engine still running. I would say it was a crash or a breakdown if it wasn’t for the lack of evidence of such.

I yelled ahead, “Is everything ok?”

It was not that I saw someone or felt any necessity to help but it was my drunken curiosity that drove me to see further. The car was strawberry red with a Jaguar symbol on the hood. A fine and sturdy car. One I could only wish for.

The door was open and so I sloshed through the wet snow on the road towards it. Getting there and looking in I saw just a handbag and nothing else.

I looked down the street and there was nothing living to be seen. I stood there staring into the street, confused, making my sedated mind figure out what was going on. Mugging? Doubt it, what mug would stop a car with no fear of being run over? Why would someone just leave a car and, which might be more important, their handbag out in the open?

Thinking of what helpful information I could gather from the bag got me into an investigatory mood. I took the bag and looked through it and, as expected, finding a purse. I took out a credit card and read the name:

Kate Bromly

Reading the name I wondered why it would help me at all. Thinking it would be a good idea to call the police about this car I found out that my phone was pretty much dead. At best it could tell me that it needs some juice.

I stood there staring at this situation again. Still unable to grasp it, whether its because of my alcohol fueled thinking or not was not a question. I couldn’t just leave a car stranded out in the middle of the road, right? There were no pictures or anything else useful in the purse so I put it back where I found it.

Then I heard it. A sulk. I thought my ears were off at first but it came again. A definite soft female sulking.

I turned toward a dark alley behind me. My eyes tried to focus away from the bright streetlights to see what it was but I could not see it clearly. I walked toward it.

“Hello?” I announced into the darkness.

Coming closer I started making out the body curled up against the wall. Her smooth brown hair was hanging down and her hands were covering her face. I assumed that she didn’t hear or notice me as she kept her face locked in her hands and continued sulking.

As my eyes got adjusted to the scene I froze, not from the cold, but from what I saw.

Her hands were stained with red. Not far from her was a body, a man. His clothes were drenched with blood and he lay on the pavement staring into the abyss. Halfway down his neck was a stiletto, tainted with blood.

I gazed back at the girl. Looking me were bright blue eyes, pleading for help. But I was stuck, frozen in shock. I could only look at her tear torn face.

“I didn’t want him to...” she uttered before breaking down into tears once more.

What could I do?

© 2018 Blue Mistane


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on January 14, 2018
Last Updated on January 14, 2018
Tags: Short Story, Short, Cold, Unexpected, Murder, Chilly