To Dream of Magic Portals Chapter 1

To Dream of Magic Portals Chapter 1

A Story by ThirtyOnePetals
"

A young woman is in a familiar place but is it? Follow her along her way back to reality.

"

The ground is cold and still slightly damp from the lingering shower earlier that afternoon. I walk towards the city. Have I been here before? Everything seems familiar and soothing, but its nothing like I remember. The feeling is there though, overwhelmingly bitter. 


I press my hand against the crosswalk button, quickly wrapping my hand with my sweater. The metal left my hand damp and cold. I hate that. The sun’s flame slowly burns behind me, painting the horizon a burnt orange. It beeps. People crowd the sidewalks and take to the street despite the honks from the passing cars. I keep my eyes focused on the ground as to be sure not to trip. Tiny puddles catch the lights from above creating it’s own light show.


I’ve wandered exactly where I need to be, because I’m invited in from across the street and I’m  instantly welcomed by a dinner being prepared in the kitchen. Rosemary? Thyme? A younger man has hugged me so tightly that his words’ve been muffled the entire time. I wish I knew what he was saying. I try to ask, but a woman, around my age, grabs my hand and tells me she’ll show me to my room. My room? 


While walking towards the back of the house I look to her and sheepishly ask what her name is. She smiles in way I don’t know how to interpret and wraps her arm around me. It’s almost like she thinks I’m joking. “Here we are! Enjoy.” She turns to leave and softly shuts the door behind her. The room has only 3 walls, leaving the fourth open to the yard. Odd, but I’m grateful to be around seemingly nice people and bit warmer than before. But I’m alone again and even more confused.


The room is furnished plainly. A bed and dresser take one wall, while a large standing mirror takes the other. Nature seems to be the focus with four plants showcasing the exposed side of the room. And it’s as if they’re calling to me. Captivated, I walk over and hold on to each weak leaf. The sadness they’re holding is weighing them down. Cold and withering I bring them further into the room, hoping to warm them just a bit more; but their death seems inevitable. 


My attention is broken by the smell of something savory being pulled out of the oven. Dinner. 

I walk back towards the front and find a few new faces settled at the table. As I muster up the courage to speak, I can feel beads of sweat emerging from every pore. “Thank you for inviting me in and while I am so grateful to be here, I am confused. Can you help me?” I’m speaking to a wall, my voice straight into the void.


Before I can even take another breath, the oldest man at the table puts his utensils down and holds his hands in front of him, as if he were about to pray. But instead of a reassuring prayer, his voice is filled with a rage I’ve never felt. He bellows for me to leave and that I am no longer welcome.


I remember. 

© 2020 ThirtyOnePetals


Author's Note

ThirtyOnePetals
Any constructive criticism welcome! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You've certainly created a mysterious atmosphere, different characters, an eeriness, yet seemingly the freedom to explore what might be available ~ or not. Two readinsg, 'still not sure! There are subtle unknowns, maybe attempts to send the reader here or there..

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ThirtyOnePetals

3 Years Ago

Thank you I appreciate it :)



Reviews

Intense.
As I read this story, the feeling of actually being there came rushing over me. In the beginning, I though of a woman that returned to a place she had not be to since her childhood because the area was familiar, yet not the same.
Very good. Thanks for Sharing.

Posted 3 Years Ago


You've certainly created a mysterious atmosphere, different characters, an eeriness, yet seemingly the freedom to explore what might be available ~ or not. Two readinsg, 'still not sure! There are subtle unknowns, maybe attempts to send the reader here or there..

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ThirtyOnePetals

3 Years Ago

Thank you I appreciate it :)
nicely picturised through words. good work.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ThirtyOnePetals

3 Years Ago

Thank you!
it is good, the end being a short sentence. I enjoy the way you chunk your paragraphs.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ThirtyOnePetals

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I wasn’t so sure about the last sentence so that is cool to hear, thank you :)
Wonder what happens next.
The mood you create here is quite unnerving.
If that was your intent, good job.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ThirtyOnePetals

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much, that was my intent I’m glad you felt that!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 1, 2020
Last Updated on December 1, 2020
Tags: ShortStory, Magic, Portal, Story

Author

ThirtyOnePetals
ThirtyOnePetals

CA



About
Getting out of my comfort zone and branching out :) I’d appreciate any feedback and/or constructive criticism. Thank you for reading! And if you’d like to check out more of my work y.. more..

Writing
1895 1895

A Poem by ThirtyOnePetals



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..