What is a Patriot?

What is a Patriot?

A Poem by Hunter Zabbai

What is a patriot?
Technically definedA patriot is someone who feels a strong support for his or her country.

So this would be considered nationalism, which is the b*****d son of ethnocentrism. Anyone opposed to these ideals is considered Un-American. A commie, a liberal hippie d****e(thank you, South Park). 
So, we have two opposing sides. One for the total national security and freedom at all costs, for of course, freedom isn't free, (but we do have a coupon book.)
Or we have the far left side. The Super West, if you will. Dominated by a few out there speakers, with hints of rationality sprinkled on, like a touch of pepper in a four course meal. 
Does anyone truly want to gather behind either of these options? Between War and Apathy there are 1000 different options.
So where does that leave us? To go on, merely existing, living in the problem, refusing to do anything to better anybody but ourselves, our own personal agendas, to get re-elected in our own terms?
To be Ethnocentric is just as selfish as to be anti-nationalist? It depends on where the roots of your anti-nationalism stem from. If they are born forth a life-long oppression, demoralizing, belittling, "I'm better than you/them because I'm a ___", then, I do not believe so. If it is out of contempt for the unhinged nationality, the blind following, the propagation of your nation, that no one dare question? Then it is not selfish. If it is merely to get your weed legalized, then yes, selfish it may be.
The Hemp People and the Phelps People.
Two Perfect examples of two polar opposites who are universally the same.
So we have from these to choose from?
This life peers meaningless. 
To ascertain this, the assurance of the human race seems dim, not illumination in the near future or any future world for that matter. 
But we do have beliefs. 
We do have ideas.
WE do have words.
Not just I, but you too.
Do we want death upon our brother?
Do we wish famine upon our sister?
Do any of us want to live in a perpetual state of fear?
Do any of us want a world without love?
Do any of us wish to see a planet without humility?
Do any of us want to see peace?
There is a new school of thinking, not too new, but new to the forefront of political/socio-economical ideologies.
The belief that all humans, and not merely compatriots/comrades or fellow-citizens, come under the same moral standards. The boundaries between nations, states, cultures or societies are therefore morally irrelevant.

You do not have to be a chain-smoking, leather jacket wearing high school drop out to be a rebel. Who is a rebel? A rebel is anybody who stands away from the herd for what they believe in. Why not then be rebellious? Why not then have a wonderful moral agenda, with guiding spiritual principles, to help you be confident, to build a wonderful superfluous foundation, to help achieve change and constructive growth? 

War is only inevitable because we think so.
Hate/Greed/Hunger/Thirst are only inevitable because we think so.

So why not think progress?
Why not think Hope?
Why not think Faith?
Why not think Peace?
Why not think a harmonious, serene state?
Think Peace, Then We Can Achieve. 
Be vocal. Be pragmatic. 
Lead by example.
Make your life your message.

© 2012 Hunter Zabbai


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Live and learn, or die and teach by example.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 5, 2012
Last Updated on July 5, 2012