Cheeseburgers, Television, Lottery

Cheeseburgers, Television, Lottery

A Poem by Hunter Zabbai

What has my life been reduced to? What happened to that youthful optimism that used to fuel my entire existence? I have fond memories of listening to George Carlin and reading Hunter S. Thompson in September of 2001, at ten years old. Just f*****g enammered that I didn't have to believe what the fat-squadron of money hawks on the mind-draining television programmes told me to think. That f*****g fourth branch of the government. The judicial branch, enforcing the laws to keep people like you and I from achieving any sort of mark in the win column, legislative, the Representative of our fine states who represent their corporate sponsors, making sure to always keep Uncle Sam happy and content with luxurious vacations and three hour blowjob marathons, and presidential, the b*****d you blame when things don't go one hundred percent the way you want them and the savior in the flesh reincarnation of this weeks favorite deity when you catch a simple, small break.

This media thing, however, has plagued us since it's inception.

From the very beginning, some fowl ferocious beast sat behind the prompter, understanding these simpletons would believe the words these fuckers spewed as if they were in red lettering. Slowly but surely, media reporting of the news came less from facts and what the f**k was reality, but steered more towards a callous, celebrity exposition of what sells, what keeps you dumb, and how many viewers than can attract in their headlines. Stories have been reduced from who, what, when, where, & why to why they were wrong. Frustrated with this passive aggressive story new headlines, "Is Monsanto a Wonderful Company?" "Is Obama a Jew?" "Will you win the lottery?" Where is the goddamn decency of human interaction and introspective, selective thinking? Have our filters collected dust for the past generation, resulting in the new Apathy Era, this post-modernist thinking of no one way can be right, there is no true winner, and my actions only harm someone if I believe that they harm someone?

What happened to the primal energy I once had of telling and showing these fuckers justice? True, American, Patriotic, Poetic, Batmanesque Vigilante Justice? Has it gone away in the throes of chasing the New American Dream, this conquest for money in a never full cup? This need to constantly one-up my competition, whomever I choose it to be for the day? In a world run by bullies, there is no school counselor, guidance classes, therapy sessions, a universal caregiver. Too concerned I have become with how will I fit in, can't say that for this imbisile might become offended. How will I support my four children that I am to have with the perfect wife on a commissioned salary at a job where I lose more of my soul everyday and become less of a human and more of a sentient robot-type android with every passing moment? My whole life was centered in shoving it to the b******s. Have I, too, been drawn into the Era of Apathy, this "I don't give a f**k" persona of a reckless criminal lifestyle, bent on harboring destruction and violence towards anyone who crosses paths with me?

In a choice between Sanity and Luxury, I choose Love.

© 2013 Hunter Zabbai


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on December 5, 2013
Last Updated on December 5, 2013