Taken for a fool

Taken for a fool

A Story by Munuxu
"

Running from and to death, the latter seeming more desirable than the former.

"

Three steps at a time, now four. More. Need to go faster. My bare feet slap against the cold, unforgiving stairs. This spiral of endless stone was to be the death of me. The furious roar and clatter of claws is still far below me but it would soon catch up, no matter how fast I ran. I still had to try though; survival instinct was kicking in, however pointless it may be. The moonlight blared through the tiny, vertical slits in the wall of the stairwell I ran up. There was only one way to be sure that the creature would not get me. And it must NOT get me. I must reach the top, praying that the height of the turret would be enough to end me.



            I must be six floors up now, if only I were thinner then I could squirm through the window. I empty the pockets of my trousers, hoping to find something that could help me,  letting my wallet, my cigarettes and the inconspicuous note that brought me here fall at my feet as I run. The crayon scrawled on the note read as such; “To Dad pleas can you com with us to the halowween party lov sam x”. The dot indenting ‘with’ was replaced with a small love heart. Three days earlier that note had arrived at my apartment mailbox. The note was also accompanied by a more detailed explanation about where the party was. It was written in a formal tone, ending in a simple “from Rachel”.  Shouldn’t have come. Stupid idea. Even stupider now I know the consequences.



            Why me?! How did they find out about my girl?! None of that matters now. I reach the end of the stairs and am now faced with a sturdy oak door, barred by a block of metal that was completely separate from the medieval surroundings. The hooded kidnappers must be responsible, they must have fortified this castle to keep prying eyes from what they were doing. That blood soaked basement. Their incessant chanting. That Thing. I attempt to lift the load preventing me from leaving this maddening staircase. It’s heavy but I make progress. Then I hear it. A guttural scream that would petrify anyone who heard it. It seemed to be only a few floors down now. I am completely frozen for a brief moment, sweat dripping from my brow, before I struggle against the steel with renewed vigour.  That insane, twisted mess of legs and claws MUST NOT GET ME!



            I collapse into the moonlight onto the clammy stone of the roof before scrambling desperately for the door. It slams shut with a resounding thud. The fresh air sends my head spinning after the damp muskiness of the castle interior. I look around at my surroundings and see that I am on top of the northeast turret of the keep at the centre of which dozens, if not hundreds, of eldritch followers stare at me. They are some distance away but I am certain they are all looking straight at me. Some are wearing luxurious hooded robes, others simply in tattered rags. A crammed mass of evil intent aimed directly at me. A low murmur begins amongst them which I soon recognise as the chanting I had heard in the basement before I fled. All heads are soon bowed in a warped version of prayer as the chanting increases in volume and fervour. I cannot help but watch the events in the keep, I doubt if I have seen anything as crazed as this. My hands grip the edge of the truss I am peering over, knuckles turning white, as I realise that I now have to fulfil my plan.



            Scratching against the door and the gnashing of huge, ravenous teeth. The creature has finally caught up. I have nowhere left to run on this tiny turret. I collapse against the waist high wall, the gibbous moon glares at me and I glare back. I have never seen the moon as big as it is tonight.

© 2015 Munuxu


Author's Note

Munuxu
This is my first attempt at a short story (not a finished product at the moment) and would appreciate any feedback no matter how harsh! Would also appreciate opinions on what the creature looks like!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on November 16, 2015
Last Updated on November 16, 2015
Tags: horror, halloween, kidnapped

Author

Munuxu
Munuxu

United Kingdom