Shadows and darkness

Shadows and darkness

A Story by Jacob Nicholls

Why?

Why only me?

Why am I the only one who is the outcast in this world of men and monsters why am I the only one that they don't love, cares for me, or even wishes to talk to me. I am nothing but a shadow to them my only true friend is the dark of the starless night, only you and you alone are my true friend and my only family in this world of hate and neglect. Even my own sister who I love but she wants nothing to do with me at all; she who I sacrificed for to keep her happy and content only repays me with a shoulder of ice and a brick wall that is her back, they see her as the greatest achievement she who had everything given to her at birth. I have been forgotten all together with no one to truly call family, the darkness and the lonely night are all that comfort me they show what I am on the inside only a shadow in the endless dark. My heart is not dying for it is already dead and I am dead with no one to mourn my passing, no fond memories, or even a voice to say how they truly felt.

I weep tears of sorrow in a corner surrounded by darkness with only the light of a single star in the sky; even it does not wish to help me in my time of need when I truly am alone and forgotten, the footsteps of people fills my ears as I wipe away my tears and put on a clowns smile laughing and pretending to be me. I am left alone in the darkness abandon and forgotten in this place I call home, I wish for only a voice to hear and the comfort of a mothers love one more time as I lay on the floor surrounded by shadows and the darkness of night.

I no longer curl in a ball and cry myself to sleep nor do I listen to the voices inside my head for they too no longer care for me, and even the starless night sky who I once held dear to me like my own father has abandoned me to the darkness and its shadows. Emotion was the first that was stolen from me I no longer feel any joy or laughter, hatred and fear has died after compassion and forgiveness now all I am is a hollow shell. All of the other humans pass me by as if I was...no I am a shadow of my former self; they will glare at me with either pity or confusion before turning there heads away taking me away from their sight, I do not care anymore what they think or what they see I am no longer one of them but a shadow.

Only a shadow.

© 2017 Jacob Nicholls


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You've written a very strong statement by a man that feels shunned by everyone. A shadow expresses well how this might feel. I think that you would benefit by reading through your story carefully and picking up quite a few grammatical and other points. Some of your sentences could be split up and simplified.
As an example the first sentence could be rewritten as 'Why am I the only one who is an outcast in this world of men and monsters? Why am I the only one that they don't love, care for, or even wish to talk to?' In the second last line 'there heads' should be 'their heads'.
I've found myself that getting some good crits has helped me improve my writing.
Regards,
Alan


Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

279 Views
1 Review
Added on June 11, 2017
Last Updated on June 11, 2017
Tags: Sorrow, sadness, fiction