Promised Date

Promised Date

A Story by Yue Zhang

The sunshine was so bright, burning the thin layer of armor she had wrapped around her last night. She pushed aside the black curtain of hair and peeked at her night stand. Seven ten. Too early to wake up, but too late to go back to sleep. She'll have to go out again today, for that date he had promised her two months ago, but forgot, until she reminded him a week ago through his voice message. He must be really busy, hope he's eating well. 
Little by little she pieced herself together, until she looked decent enough to walk beside him. She really hated wearing mascara, felt as if there's something weighing her down, forcing her to feel sleepy. The heels were too high, looks like her ankles are going to be swollen again. At least they complemented her brown eyes, which, by the way, were the color of milk chocolate. She hated chocolate, made her exercise in order to maintain her curves. The morning cold made her face shrivel and tinge, and her arms all bumpy. She wanted to run back inside and roll around in her blankets, which were still lying there in a heap, but, gritting her teeth, she headed towards the subway. It was even colder underground. The mini, waist high, cotton jacket did not help her at all. Her knees felt frozen due to the black skirt he had bought for her twenty-second birthday. Could have bought a longer one. It was fairly crowded in the subway, it was Tuesday morning after all. Though, oddly, there were some empty seats, but she was too scared to sit, afraid her thighs will freeze to the metal-like plastic chairs. She had to hold it in, gritting her teeth until she felt tears. 
The sun continued to shine, giving off no warmth at all, as she waited with the large crowd, ready to cross over to the Central Park. Car horns and whistles, police sirens and wailing. People murmuring incoherently. The shadow of the trees made it feel like winter, not autumn. The meeting place was submerged in shadow. Stomping her heels, and feeling nothing, she huffed into her hands, trying to revive her fingers. The benches were all wet, with morning dew. Dead leaves were glued to the ground, and the birds only made rustling sounds as they flew from the branches. She looked down at her hands. At least it wasn't snowing. 
The dew never dried, how could it under such shadows? She had walked twice up and down the block , crossed the street to buy a four dollar coffee, and he still wasn't here. She checked, it was eight forty. Probably forgot again. Can't believe she took a day off just to experience being forgotten. Suddenly, police sirens increase by four folds, racing down the streets. People were crying, and looking confused, like her. Why were they crying? People gasped as they pointed south, where smoke was rising. Something's burning? She turned around and saw people rushing towards their cars, wailing into cellphones, and looking horrified. Only she stood there, frozen, like the past hour. "The towers! Not there!" A women yelled hysterically as she raced towards the entrance of the subway. The World Trade Center? Isn't that where he works? What's going on? She ran towards the coffee shop, and grabbed hold of an old man as he was hurrying away. "Sir, what's going on?" He looked at her oddly.
"Didn't you hear? The terrorists got to the tower." He shook his head and walked away.
The tower? There were two, maybe he meant some other tower. Everything was going to be fine, as long as he comes within the next minute. Twenty minutes, he's not coming. Anger, mixed with a tiny bit of dread, boiled inside her stomach. She angrily kicked a branch aside and headed towards the entrance of the subway. "Oh My God! The other tower!" A man covered his mouth as tears pooled in his eyes. Onlookers all turned their heads south, faces filled with fear. Only she moved, ran down the steps towards the subway, not caring that her ankles were dying. She waited for the train going south, but it never came. "All trains headed south have been temporarily stopped. We apologize for any inconveniences." 
It was silent, so quiet she felt a chill seep down her back. She needed to move, to find him. Running towards daylight was just as painful, so much that she took her heels off and carried them as she ran, barefooted, as she tried to call for a taxi. No one stopped for her. She finally collapsed, sobbing in the middle of the sidewalk. People passed by without a second glance, as if this was the norm. Her hair was a mess, her face was a mess, and her feet hurt like crazy. Her cell phone rang. Cell phone? She rummaged through her bag, and found it. "Hello?" 
"Honey?"
"Aaron? Where are you? Are you hurt?" She held her breath.
"I'm sorry I'm late."
"Where in the world are you?" 
"I had something I needed to get at the office."
"No"
"Yeah, sorry."
"No, no, no." Everything went black. 
She later woke up in the hospital, where the nurse was telling her to stay still. But she couldn't. She grabbed her bag and ran towards the elevator. While going down, she flipped open her cell phone. New text message. Sorry for making you wait, it was an emergency, and there was a traffic jam. I promise I love you. Tears ran down her cheeks as she fought to take breaths between sobs. The door opened, but she couldn't stand upright. All the energy had fled with her tears. A strong pair of hands pulled on her arm. She look up slowly to see him frowning down at her. "What are you doing sitting on the ground looking like that?"
Smiling weakly she said, "What took you so long?" 

© 2011 Yue Zhang


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on April 10, 2011
Last Updated on June 15, 2011

Author

Yue Zhang
Yue Zhang

AZ



About
Hello reader, my name is Jenny Zhang, and I am a teen author. Hopefully, someday my books will become best sellers. If you have read one of my unfinished books, and wish to read more, please message .. more..

Writing