The Baobab Tree

The Baobab Tree

A Story by Boonrassi
"

The stone whistled, leaves twitched, dust puffed in sunlight. A dead bird struck the ground.

"

Sahara dust dulled the trees of Bamako, Mali.

Aza stood shaded, circled by children. Her hands wound rubber strips around wood. “Tuck the ends under here; watch how the rubber grips the wood. Look now, so you can make one.” She passed rubber through holes in a patch of goat hide. “Give me a pebble, Kojo.” She leaned back, stretched rubber, sighted through the slingshot.

The stone whistled, leaves twitched, dust puffed in sunlight. A dead bird struck the ground.

“We wont be hungry, Aza.”

Aza aimed again and rubber snapped; a yellow bird tumbled past branches.

“No, not tonight.”
 
 
 
 

 

© 2008 Boonrassi


Author's Note

Boonrassi
two amazing pictures of the titanic Baobab..

http://www.championtrees.org/champions/baobab.htm

http://www.earthteam.net/green_news/issues/images/july06/Baobab_Tree_AlliCooper.jpg

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Baoooobab. Baaaaoooobaaab.

I'm going to be walking around saying this to random people all day.

Nice little poof of a picture, like the small poof of dust that rises as the dead bird hits the ground.

It's not such a poof though, because it's strong and has an air of elegance and you know, I can't think of the word now... not "superiority," but something like that.

Help me out here, Tim.

Uhhh... anyway, it's a strong description that speaks volumes for a culture of people and gives them that air of... there's that word again. What is it? Haha.

Great work. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


love these shorts;) you do them exceptionally. demon and lunch are equally strong. Dude I love baobabs. I wanted to move to madagascar once just to have them in my yard.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 1, 2008
Last Updated on April 1, 2008

Author

Boonrassi
Boonrassi

Oakland park, FL



About
I write what I crave to read. I write stuff that makes me giddy. It has to thrill me. I set grenades off in playgrounds, I throw people out of airplanes and follow their thoughts till they hit the .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..