Smiles of gods

Smiles of gods

A Story by Boy of the red
"

Just a short story.

"
Today started as I woke up. My alarm was going off like a fire alarm. The dream I had still flashed through my head. A memory that can not be made out, but still left me in fear. The fear stopped as my phone vibrated and saw it was my best friend, Adrian, who had texted me. It read "Why is yo b***h a*s still asleep? Haha wake up man you will miss the bus." I texted back that I was coming. I got on my black jeans and my black and red v-neck. I was dreading the math test today but that wouldn't stop me from being happy. I had the best concert of the year tonight with my best friend and it will be heaven. I ran outside to the bus. Palmer and Adrian were waiting for me inside talking in our own little world. We never paid any attention to the other students. They were no bodies to us. Walking bodies of lies and rumors. Together, we were kings, and nothing else mattered.
I knew Adrian since we were in preschool. We had gotten into rock and roll and then heavy rock. People had made fun of us for our black hair and black clothes. But we had never cared. We were strongest together. Palmer I had met a year ago. He was lost and like us. One day I was having a smoke behind the school and I saw him on the ground, being kicked in the chest by three guys. I ran to him, and tried to fight them off, I got my a*s kicked but I know they won't be walking right the next couple of days. When they left, screaming "F****t" and "Gothic losers!," I sat next to him, holding my head back and laughed. He just sat there staring at me. "Why did you come? I don't even know you." I looked at him at him and said with a smile "Life isn't fair, and neither is three against one, so why not f**k up life's idea by leveling out the playing field a bit?" I laughed and looked into his eyes. He was surprised. I got him up and walked him home. And he was my friend from there on.
When I got on the bus adrian treated me to a big hug. I hugged back with joy and looked to Palmer he looked a little shaky but smiled at me and said hi. We went to school and went to our usual spot for the first smoke of the day. I noticed something off as we walked. Palmer never took his arm from his side. I nudged Adrian to look too. When we got behind the school and lit up, I finally asked. "Hey Palm, what's up with your side?" He took a long drag and said "I'm ok man. Just a little sore." "Who the f**k did it?" Adrian was getting mad. He was very protective and he was the biggest of us. Standing at 6 foot 1 and 230 pounds of pure lean muscle, no one had ever tried to mess with him. "No one man, i'll handle it." When he said that I saw something gleam in his waste band. I figured I either imagined it, or it was his lighter. "Ok man but remember we stand together." He smiled as the school bell rang, and then as we walked in, it faded into the blankness I had only seen on him when we didn't know each other.
We walked to homeroom with me and Adrian the usual joking. It was when I sat down that I saw Palmer lagging behind, his eyes were locked with a jock who had a cocky devil's smirk. The tension between them is felt inside me like an animal sensing a storm. Although the jock had a smirk and half a chuckle coming from him, Palmer had no expression at all, except for one that made my fingers twitch with anxiety. Palmer had never scared me. He was small in stature and not very strong, but he was fast.
We sat down to class and the teacher started talking. We usually droned her out with hidden head phones but today palmers eyes were straight forward, as strong as silver.
The teacher yelled at me to look forward but my eyes were trained on him. His leg started shaking and my heart was beating out of my chest. The teacher yelled at him, no one even knows what it was about, but a millisecond later a soul shattering BANG rang though my ears, and a bullet through her forehead. It painted her walls red and pink, but I had not even looked at her yet. My eyes were dead locked on him. His eyes were down but his arm was straight and his hands were steady. Adrian was as stunned as me, unable to move at all. That's when the most terrifying thing happened to his face. It curled into a hideous smile that send shivers down my spine. He walked to the front of the class. He was confident. Which is another first I have seen of him.
Who was this guy? What had happened to him recently that had driven him so far off the edge?
"What the hell man!" A jock yelled at him. Palmer turned to him and his smile disappeared into the blank expression of a god who was bored of some ants. "What the hell? You ask me what the hell?! You know this is rather funny. The frienkenstien doesn't recognise his own monster! Isn't that funny Conor! Almost like those stories you write." With that last word he raised his gun and shot him in the heart. I didn't even know the jocks name. The room was silent enough that we could hear his last beg of help, an his final breath leave his lips. The sound of my name had jerked me from shock but I still couldn't move. "Palmer...this isn't you man! What happened? Why are you doing this?" When he saw me a tear ran down his face. So much must had been slurring inside of him. But then he looked at Cody, the jock he had locked eyes with when we first came in, and all became solid and he pointed his gun at Cody. "What happened was him and his friends...no. Let him tell you!" His mad smile had returned. I looked at Adrian for an answer but he was only staring, probably what had happened to his friend. I hadn't even heard the girls crying in the corner.
BANG! Another gun shot. I swung around to see the freshman jock on the floor by the exit, a red pool flowing from his stomach. "Come on up Cody! What was it you said to me? 'Time to meet god f****t!'" Cody stood. He was crying and blubbering like a baby. Snot was flowing from his nose and he begged for mercy. "Please...it was just some fun! We are sorry! I am sorry!" "Oh well isn't that nice? Adrian? Isn't that nice? He is saying sorry! Why don't you tell them what you are sorry for? Maybe it was... beating me within an inch of my life! Maybe it was cracking 4 of my ribs! Oh no no no maybe it's the best one. Shoving your girlfriends d***o up my a*s while people watched and laughed at me!" He shouted at Cody as he pistol whipped him across the face. "Palmer stop this! You don't have to do this! You could have come to us! We could have helped!" Adrian stood and yelled. "You don't understand adrian. You don't know what it is like! No one messes with you! Your a f*****g truck like them and they know it! I am weak and scrawny! This is the only way I will be free of them!" He lifted the gun to Cody's head. "And guess what? I'm not gay m**********r!"
That's when it all happened in a blink of the eye. Adrian ran forward and tried to tackle palmer but the gun had gone off and Cody was still alive. So where had it gone? "No!" Palmer screamed. Adrain was on this floor spitting up blood like a hose. "S-stop please, this isn't you." Adrian moaned. "I'm sorry adrian! Please it will be ok! Adrian? Adrian! God d****t answer me!" But the light had left his big brown eyes and a single tear fell from his face. The bullet had entered his heart. Palmer was crying and screaming at the top of his lungs from pure guilt and frustration. "This is your fault! You made me do this!" He yelled at Cody. I got up and ran at him. He didn't see me till it was to late and i hit him in the side. We wrestled for the gun. "What are you doing Conor! Let me kill this b*****d! Let me kill him!" "You already killed Adrian!" With this he hit me away. We stood up, me in front of the blubbering idiot who had driven him into this. He looked at our fallen friend and growled with frustration and regret. "I... I didn't mean to. He go in he way..." "Palmer you can just put the gun down. That's what he wanted!" "No... Now I know what I have to do." All his muscles became serious and stiff. He lifted his righteous gun and put it in his mouth. The last thing I saw before the red cloud in the air was his eyes going to Adrian's body. "No!" I wanted to yell but all it came out was a croak. I sat down and the cops came rushing in. People ran out but I was solid and unmoving. Staring at my friends bodies, their finger tips were touching. I don't know which was he god and which was the mental patient. I don't know who is to blame. Whether it is the jocks or palmers but I really didn't care. I was alone. 4 people were dead. 2 jocks and 2 of my friends. The cops found me kneeling in their blood so they assumed I was the one shooting. They only released me when Cody said it wasn't me. Yelling that I had saved him. I simply couldn't take it. And before they realised it was missing, there was a hole in Cody's head, and I was again in handcuffs with palmers smile on my face. The smile of a god.

© 2014 Boy of the red


Author's Note

Boy of the red
Really need to edit but tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this! I think it's rad and honestly wouldn't change a thing.
You rock!
Trish-

Posted 9 Years Ago


It made me think. Think about how we treat others and the way we as people view the world. I really love this dramatic tale, keep up the good work. I am a little confused
"And before they realized it was missing." What does this mean? What was missing, it just needs a little more explanation.
Keep writing!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Boy of the red

10 Years Ago

The gun that Palmer had used, that's what he shot Cody with. Thank you for the review
The title brought me to the story. You put a lot in the short story. You create a dangerous situation and I like the way you ended the story. Thank you for sharing the excellent tale.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


Boy of the red

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

417 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 4, 2014
Last Updated on February 4, 2014

Author

Boy of the red
Boy of the red

Little rock, AR



About
I am me and that is all I can be. I write to stay myself and share my work. thank you for reading and I cant wait to see yours. more..

Writing